Lifestyle Mountain Bikers of TMMAC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I'm going on Tuesday to get a bike. I set my limit at $2000 and I want to buy new. I work with two dudes that ride and they recommended getting a hard tail since I will be doing both road and trail riding. I'm not going to be riding like that video La Paix @Kelly posted on the first page. I'm more looking for the workout aspect rather than the daredevil aspect. One of the guys I work with said to look at the 29ers but I read that they are slower on pavement but they can climb well. Is that correct? Eventually if I enjoy it as much as I hope I want to upgrade to a better bike but I'd rather buy lower end for now and get used to riding again. Are hybrid bikes worth it? Some people say they are shit, some say they are the best if you want to ride everything but not be nuts.

Anyways, I'm set up with the owner of a local indie shop on Tuesday, he seems awesome so I'm pretty excited. I've heard nothing but good things from a lot of people about the shop. They are called Favorit Cycles |

I'll let you all know what they set me up with.
I just looked at the link you posted for the bike shop - looks like a good place. What bikes are you looking at there? You should be able to get a sweet hardtail within the $2k budget you set. At that price you should get a decent build kit and a solid suspension fork.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I'm going on Tuesday to get a bike. I set my limit at $2000 and I want to buy new. I work with two dudes that ride and they recommended getting a hard tail since I will be doing both road and trail riding. I'm not going to be riding like that video La Paix @Kelly posted on the first page. I'm more looking for the workout aspect rather than the daredevil aspect. One of the guys I work with said to look at the 29ers but I read that they are slower on pavement but they can climb well. Is that correct? Eventually if I enjoy it as much as I hope I want to upgrade to a better bike but I'd rather buy lower end for now and get used to riding again. Are hybrid bikes worth it? Some people say they are shit, some say they are the best if you want to ride everything but not be nuts.

Anyways, I'm set up with the owner of a local indie shop on Tuesday, he seems awesome so I'm pretty excited. I've heard nothing but good things from a lot of people about the shop. They are called http://favoritcycles.com/

I'll let you all know what they set me up with.
Great to hear you're getting some wheels. Just my opinion here but if I had $2000 to spend I'd be getting two used bikes. One full suspension all mountain so you can do some downhill well but could also lock out the forks for hill climbs and cross country and another cycle-cross or road bike for road riding for fitness. This could be much more rewarding and purpose built bikes are always a better option.

By getting a really nice new hard tail you can do a bunch of everything at a mediocre level. I doubt you're looking to pick up sponsors and shit and assume it's just for hobby but a hard tail mtn bike isn't really ideal for anything except being able to casually participate in a wide variety of riding. Go back a few pages to see my bikes if you like. I bkught that Norco road bike a tear old new (over stock for 2014) for $1100 then spent another $300 on shoes and pedals then my DH bike was used (2011) for $850 iirc. Both are WAY better for what they are meant to do compared to a hard tail multi use bike.

Just my $0.02 but I can almost guarantee taking this route will give you a ton more options as far as riding terrian and you won't max out bikes capabilities within a year.

Thoughts Grateful Dude @GiarcDrofwarc ?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Great to hear you're getting some wheels. Just my opinion here but if I had $2000 to spend I'd be getting two used bikes. One full suspension all mountain so you can do some downhill well but could also lock out the forks for hill climbs and cross country and another cycle-cross or road bike for road riding for fitness. This could be much more rewarding and purpose built bikes are always a better option.

By getting a really nice new hard tail you can do a bunch of everything at a mediocre level. I doubt you're looking to pick up sponsors and shit and assume it's just for hobby but a hard tail mtn bike isn't really ideal for anything except being able to casually participate in a wide variety of riding. Go back a few pages to see my bikes if you like. I bkught that Norco road bike a tear old new (over stock for 2014) for $1100 then spent another $300 on shoes and pedals then my DH bike was used (2011) for $850 iirc. Both are WAY better for what they are meant to do compared to a hard tail multi use bike.

Just my $0.02 but I can almost guarantee taking this route will give you a ton more options as far as riding terrian and you won't max out bikes capabilities within a year.

Thoughts Grateful Dude @GiarcDrofwarc ?
La Paix @Kelly I think you make some legit points here, but it all depends on what L @HodorIsBAE is planning on doing. I prefer full suspension for the type of riding I do, and also for the issues I have with my spine/back. But I think a hardtail can be pretty capable as well - they are making hardtails now with a slacker head angle, longer travel forks, and shorter chainstays, which makes them pretty trail capable. Hodor mentioned that he would be using this bike for some trail time and some road time, which to me sounds reasonable for a hardtail. Especially if the trails are mostly singletrack without a lot of roots and rocks, etc. I agree with you that a full suspension gives you more terrain options, and that you can get more bang for your buck buying used or year-old overstock. Like Hodor said in his post, I like to buy new bikes as well - so I think that all comes down to the buyer. If $2k is his max budget though, it is hard to get into a new full suspension for that price (unless it is a new bike that is a model year or two old).

So in short - I prefer a full suspension over a hardtail, but depending on the type of riding Hodor will be doing, a hardtail may suit his needs just fine. It sounded like we was going to test the waters a bit, and he could always upgrade to a full suspension once he catches the fever :)

I'm not sure if any of that is coherent...I have had way too much caffeine this morning so I feel like I'm rambling hah

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
La Paix @Kelly I think you make some legit points here, but it all depends on what L @HodorIsBAE is planning on doing. I prefer full suspension for the type of riding I do, and also for the issues I have with my spine/back. But I think a hardtail can be pretty capable as well - they are making hardtails now with a slacker head angle, longer travel forks, and shorter chainstays, which makes them pretty trail capable. Hodor mentioned that he would be using this bike for some trail time and some road time, which to me sounds reasonable for a hardtail. Especially if the trails are mostly singletrack without a lot of roots and rocks, etc. I agree with you that a full suspension gives you more terrain options, and that you can get more bang for your buck buying used or year-old overstock. Like Hodor said in his post, I like to buy new bikes as well - so I think that all comes down to the buyer. If $2k is his max budget though, it is hard to get into a new full suspension for that price (unless it is a new bike that is a model year or two old).

So in short - I prefer a full suspension over a hardtail, but depending on the type of riding Hodor will be doing, a hardtail may suit his needs just fine. It sounded like we was going to test the waters a bit, and he could always upgrade to a full suspension once he catches the fever :)

I'm not sure if any of that is coherent...I have had way too much caffeine this morning so I feel like I'm rambling hah
Good points as well. For me I've always been a jack of all master of none type of guy so I like to be set up for lots of options. Also I don't buy much new, I usually find older items in great shape for much less. Personally I wouldn't want.t to ride road with a mtn bike unless I had a separate set of wheels at the very least. As I said before I'm from a BMX back ground and can fully appreciate the hard tails but after trying them at a decent speed in trails I couldn't go back to them unless it was for dirt jumping or casual trails.

To each their own of course, I'd just hate to see somebody commit 2g and then regret it a year from now when they fimd out they really enjoy a specific ride and aren't best set up for it.

Keep us posted L @HodorIsBAE !

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
I looked at a few bikes and I'm going to decide later today. I talked to the shop owner and he is pushing me more towards a bike suited towards more road riding but can still go on trails, gravel, ect. He has a bike in mind called the Bombtrack Beyond, there is no suspension and he said it's basically just extra unneeded weight for what I want to do. He is willing to sell it for $1400, regular price is ($2300) because he wants to sell it and it also has drop bars which I don't like. He'd put a titanium straight bar on it. I looked the bike up and that sounds like a really good deal and the reviews are really good. What do you think La Paix @Kelly and Grateful Dude @GratefulGiarc?

This is the bike with the drop bars

The other option is a low end hard tail. They have a bunch at the shop around $1000-2000 but after talking to the owner he thinks that if I do more road riding and easier trail riding to start that I don't need that. He figures the bike for me is the one above and if I want I can trade it next year for a hard tail and then go from there. Eventually I will do more trail riding I'm sure but for now I just want to get a workout and go riding for hours on end. There are paved trails around where I live that are like 40 km's long one way.

The big seller for me is that shop owner rides one of those and he modified the thing kind of like how he's modding mine. I took it for a ride and it was comfortable.

Is suspension necessary? Should I look at a hard tail closer or considering that I want mostly road touring with some trail riding is the Bombtrack a good option? I know Bombtrack is a German company and the bike has a steel frame but it's still really light-weight.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I looked at a few bikes and I'm going to decide later today. I talked to the shop owner and he is pushing me more towards a bike suited towards more road riding but can still go on trails, gravel, ect. He has a bike in mind called the Bombtrack Beyond, there is no suspension and he said it's basically just extra unneeded weight for what I want to do. He is willing to sell it for $1400, regular price is ($2300) because he wants to sell it and it also has drop bars which I don't like. He'd put a titanium straight bar on it. I looked the bike up and that sounds like a really good deal and the reviews are really good. What do you think La Paix @Kelly and Grateful Dude @GratefulGiarc?

The other option is a low end hard tail. They have a bunch at the shop around $1000-2000 but after talking to the owner he thinks that if I do more road riding and easier trail riding to start that I don't need that. He figures the bike for me is the one above and if I want I can trade it next year for a hard tail and then go from there. Eventually I will do more trail riding I'm sure but for now I just want to get a workout and go riding for hours on end. There are paved trails around where I live that are like 40 km's long one way.

The big seller for me is that shop owner rides one of those and he modified the thing kind of like how he's modding mine. I took it for a ride and it was comfortable.

Is suspension necessary? Should I look at a hard tail closer or considering that I want mostly road touring with some trail riding is the Bombtrack a good option? I know Bombtrack is a German company and the bike has a steel frame but it's still really light-weight.
I don't know much about that Beyond but that's in the same category as my Norco Threashhold I'd say. Great bike for road and and hard pack trails but built tough enough to do decent rough terrian and hop off of roots and shit. I'm not a fan of the drop bars much but they do come in handy for long road trips, maybe try it as is for a while then decide on straight bars?

If that bike can keep you busy for this year you could then see how much hill climbing or DH you think you want next season and go for the two bike system :)

If your main goal is long road rides with the odd dirt trail I say go for that one you posted and get riding. Closed pedals are awesome fyi, well worth the money $50 will get you pedals if it doesn't come with them but don't skimp on shoes.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Oh and don't get too caught up in weight of bikes, just means you'll get in better shape quicker ;)

Uess you're competing fuck spending all kinds of cash to save 4-6lbs.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
I don't know much about that Beyond but that's in the same category as my Norco Threashhold I'd say. Great bike for road and and hard pack trails but built tough enough to do decent rough terrian and hop off of roots and shit. I'm not a fan of the drop bars much but they do come in handy for long road trips, maybe try it as is for a while then decide on straight bars?

If that bike can keep you busy for this year you could then see how much hill climbing or DH you think you want next season and go for the two bike system :)

If your main goal is long road rides with the odd dirt trail I say go for that one you posted and get riding. Closed pedals are awesome fyi, well worth the money $50 will get you levels if it doesn't come with them but don't skimp on shoes.
That's what I'm thinking. I make a good living and I think I will just buy another bike suited for more trail riding next year. I work with a few younger dudes that ride trails and there are groups you can join that go out together. My town has trails everywhere, literally hundreds of kilometers all over. You can ride to most towns in my area on a mountain bike on nice paths far from highways.

I decided to get a bike because it's a good investment, good for you, fun as hell and a good way to meet people.

I am still getting the bars changed if I get that bike because I tried out the base ones and I didn't like them at all.

The owner was super helpful and I know a bunch of people really well that know him and they all say he is a good person that wouldn't fuck you around. Plus they are a small business in a small town and I'd rather support them than some big box store.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

If your main goal is long road rides with the odd dirt trail I say go for that one you posted and get riding. Closed pedals are awesome fyi, well worth the money $50 will get you levels if it doesn't come with them but don't skimp on shoes.
I like all of this

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

I don't know much about that brand, but it looks pretty sweet. It also seems to be a good fit for the type of riding you will be doing. I don't like the bars so much, I think you will like the flat bar better. The most important factor is if the bike feels right to you (and it sounds like you dig this one).

The suspension isn't totally necessary, but it does make a pretty big difference if you are primarily trail riding. But as La Paix @Kelly said, you can always get a second rig later on down the road.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
And whats up with the SN L @HodorIsBAE ?
Pretty sure in the ASOFI books Hodor is a known cat mutilator.
It was just a stupid thing. I don't remember who it was but they made up a story about someone here trolling and they made up all of these SNs they used over at the UG. This is one of them.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
I just bought the bike. I pick it up Thursday, they are changing the bars and a few small things. I'm pretty excited.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I just bought the bike. I pick it up Thursday, they are changing the bars and a few small things. I'm pretty excited.
You should be man, good work. Next time you come to Okanagan we can go for a ride. I might be coming to your area before summer is over with our travel trailer too so ya never know.

Be sure to order the TMMAC knee high socks for cold mornings.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
You should be man, good work. Next time you come to Okanagan we can go for a ride. I might be coming to your area before summer is over with our travel trailer too so ya never know.

Be sure to order the TMMAC knee high socks for cold mornings.
I'd wear TMMAC socks...do those actually exist? I don't know about knee highs, but definitely some 6-inch socks ;)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Oh and don't get too caught up in weight of bikes, just means you'll get in better shape quicker ;)

Uess you're competing fuck spending all kinds of cash to save 4-6lbs.
I missed this comment yesterday, but I totally agree with the sentiment.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I missed this comment yesterday, but I totally agree with the sentiment.
The one exception I'd make is of you do downhill with out a chairlift. Trying to do a 10+km ride up trails on a 50+lbs bike with 6" travel is pure hell!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
The one exception I'd make is of you do downhill with out a chairlift. Trying to do a 10+km ride up trails on a 50+lbs bike with 6" travel is pure hell!
Fair point! I've done that before, and it is brutal. One of the many reasons I love chairlifts!

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Fair point! I've done that before, and it is brutal. One of the many reasons I love chairlifts!
Ya me too. I had my dirt bike helmet too the first time out trying this. I went the next day to get something much better suited

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
So I'm sitting here at work today, and for once I actually don't have a lot to do. So naturally I am looking at bike stuff on the interwebs.

I am considering selling my Sultan and upgrading to a Pivot 429 Trail (carbon) frame. I think I'm in love! I'm a big fan of Pivot, they make some excellent frames. The new Switchblade frame is also pretty badass, but I think the 429 trail is in my sweet spot.

Mach 429 Trail - Pivot Cycles

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
I got my bike today with the different bars and I couldn't be happier. It rides awesome and looks even better. Best just about $2000 I've ever spent. I took it out during work for a few minutes then for about 40 minutes after I got home. There is a big and long hill by my house that kicked my ass. It will be the last part of my ride every time I will go out. Holy shit I will have to get used to that.

Other than that obstacle I'm really excited about going out and riding.

Thanks Grateful Dude @GratefulGiarc and La Paix @Kelly for you advice and help with this investment. Both of you were very helpful and your knowledge pointed me in the right direction as well. I'm sure in the future I will have a ton more questions so be ready.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I got my bike today with the different bars and I couldn't be happier. It rides awesome and looks even better. Best just about $2000 I've ever spent. I took it out during work for a few minutes then for about 40 minutes after I got home. There is a big and long hill by my house that kicked my ass. It will be the last part of my ride every time I will go out. Holy shit I will have to get used to that.

Other than that obstacle I'm really excited about going out and riding.

Thanks Grateful Dude @GratefulGiarc and La Paix @Kelly for you advice and help with this investment. Both of you were very helpful and your knowledge pointed me in the right direction as well. I'm sure in the future I will have a ton more questions so be ready.
Congrats CatWoman! Glad to hear you're happy with your decision. Post pictures here so we can check it out with new bars.

If you feel like setting a good first goal to work towards check this out

Kootenay Rockies Gran Fondo

These out on alt of races for all skill levels around our area and more. The shortest one here is 58km which is manageable for anyone in decent shape and comfortable on a bike. They offer road and CC style routes iirc. What we should do is agree to train and meet up at one of these events in TMMAC rash guards and rep the site with our bike skills.