Lifestyle Mountain Bikers of TMMAC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Someone just bought a new Thunderbolt 750 with a dropper post. :)
Grateful Dude @GratefulGiarc you were totally right, a medium suited me very well.
La Paix @BirdWatcher the Instinct with its' 29" wheels was sweet but the price difference made the T-bolt the easy choice.

It took me a long time to find the right deal and I want to say thanks to both you two for lending me your expertise: Thank you :)

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Grateful Dude @GratefulGiarc you were totally right, a medium suited me very well.
La Paix @BirdWatcher the Instinct with its' 29" wheels was sweet but the price difference made the T-bolt the easy choice.

It took me a long time to find the right deal and I want to say thanks to both you two for lending me your expertise: Thank you :)
Fuck ya! Those are sweet bikes man great purchase. Good to hear it fits and all the payment was a success. Post pics!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

Awesome, congrats man! Post some pics!

Good choice -thats a sweet bike! The dropper post will change your life :D

Fuck ya! Those are sweet bikes man great purchase. Good to hear it fits and all the payment was a success. Post pics!
Thanks man.

I got it at the shop, it was 1K more than what I wanted to spend on a good used bike but it came with a 5-year warranty on the frame and warranties on the other parts as well. The bikes I was looking at were good deals but everything was used and I'd still have ended up only saving $500-700 with no warranty.
Awesome, congrats man! Post some pics!
I'm trying but all the other pics show everything upside down. :D
Revolution Cycle in Edmonton if anyone is in the area, they are having some kind of sale and it seems like they are willing to do what it takes to unload unsold stock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Thanks man.

I got it at the shop, it was 1K more than what I wanted to spend on a good used bike but it came with a 5-year warranty on the frame and warranties on the other parts as well. The bikes I was looking at were good deals but everything was used and I'd still have ended up only saving $500-700 with no warranty.

Revolution Cycle in Edmonton if anyone is in the area, they are having some kind of sale and it seems like they are willing to do what it takes to unload unsold stock.
That's a good looking bike man! Looks like a nice build kit, you're going to love it.

Let me know if you want any help getting it setup for you. I can help you get on the right track to tuning your shocks, tire psi, position of components, etc.

That's a good looking bike man! Looks like a nice build kit, you're going to love it.

Let me know if you want any help getting it setup for you. I can help you get on the right track to tuning your shocks, tire psi, position of components, etc.
Will do if needed. I have to take it back with me to Poland and then I'll see what's what. No sense in doing too much when I'll have to take all the pressures off beforehand.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
La Paix @BirdWatcher

If you have some free time, give this a watch. I'm sure you remember Mongoose! I had one when I was 8 or 9, root beer brown. It was dope!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIj9HQzsKxs
Video isn't available in Canada it seems but ya I know Mongoose well. Brian Lopes is a legend for many reasons and one was his ability to bunny hop high AF on his BMX back in the day. Also DMC or Dennis McCoy was one of those premier riders who I loved to follow in old magazines.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Video isn't available in Canada it seems but ya I know Mongoose well. Brian Lopes is a legend for many reasons and one was his ability to bunny hop high AF on his BMX back in the day. Also DMC or Dennis McCoy was one of those premier riders who I loved to follow in old magazines.
Weird...
The video is just a History on Mongoose and how they changed the world of BMX by making better bikes. Not sure if you can see the title or not, but it is History of Mongoose: Know Your Roots. It was a cool watch if you can find it.

Brain Lopes was also a solid mountain biker, he represented GT for a long time.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I've been neglecting this thread for a bit...

I found this video the other day, and it captures the essence of something I have done since the mid 90's - Sunday Church Service. SCS is a Sunday morning bike ride with friends. The Service is more about being in the woods and living life than competing with others. It is rare that I miss a Sunday ride. Viva la Sunday Church Service!

<iframe src="
View: https://player.vimeo.com/video/84103278
" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
View: https://vimeo.com/84103278
">Church</a> from <a href="ZfH Productions">ZfH Productions</a> on <a href="Vimeo: Watch, upload, and share HD and 4K videos with no ads">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Not sure why that embedded twice^^^, but you get the point. Great video, represents the mountain biking community well

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
I know it isnt a mountain bike but I picked up a new road bike. Thing is worth a fortune and I paid a lot less for it. Hardly used. A huge upgrade from my previous alloy frame, the wheels could potentially be replaced but even then they are better than my old ones.
Full carbon monocoque, seatpos and steerer. Handlebars and stem are lightweight composite. Ultegra groupset (not sure which model, I will try and find it some day) with SRAM powerglide chainset with carbon cranks. Mavic Cosmic wheels.

Put new tyres on it and it is under 7.8kg, considering it is a 2015ish bike that isnt bad at all. New wheels and it would be 7.4kg or under, pretty much as low as it would go without a shit tonne of money or making it uncomfortable to ride. For a shit rider like me that is plenty low enough, 3kg less than my current bike. I managed to lose about 8kg in weight over the last 6/8 months, been struggling to get any more off recently (but that is for another thread) and this has given me a weight loss for a relatively low cost. Now I just need this cold storm to pass so I can actually ride the thing.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks man.

The size of chainsets on MTB are just insane. My penis is bigger than yours. Road biking need to learn from MTB. Aquablue Sport this year are the first ever pro team to ride a bike that can only accept a 1x speed chainset. I would love to try it out on a road bike.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I know it isnt a mountain bike but I picked up a new road bike. Thing is worth a fortune and I paid a lot less for it. Hardly used. A huge upgrade from my previous alloy frame, the wheels could potentially be replaced but even then they are better than my old ones.
Full carbon monocoque, seatpos and steerer. Handlebars and stem are lightweight composite. Ultegra groupset (not sure which model, I will try and find it some day) with SRAM powerglide chainset with carbon cranks. Mavic Cosmic wheels.

Put new tyres on it and it is under 7.8kg, considering it is a 2015ish bike that isnt bad at all. New wheels and it would be 7.4kg or under, pretty much as low as it would go without a shit tonne of money or making it uncomfortable to ride. For a shit rider like me that is plenty low enough, 3kg less than my current bike. I managed to lose about 8kg in weight over the last 6/8 months, been struggling to get any more off recently (but that is for another thread) and this has given me a weight loss for a relatively low cost. Now I just need this cold storm to pass so I can actually ride the thing.

Nice bike man, looks sweet! It appears to be built up well with good components. Carbon frames are awesome, and a 3kg drop in weight is significant - I bet you notice an improvement on how it pedals, accelerates, etc.

Congrats!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
The size of chainsets on MTB are just insane. My penis is bigger than yours. Road biking need to learn from MTB. Aquablue Sport this year are the first ever pro team to ride a bike that can only accept a 1x speed chainset. I would love to try it out on a road bike.
1x is the way to go, at least for mountain biking. I will never go back to multiple chain rings. It's just unnecessary. With multiple chain rings, you end up with redundant gears. With the 11 and 12 speed cassettes that are popular now, you don't lose any of your gear ratios. It is simpler and better in my opinion. On my mountain bike I run a 34-tooth oval ring up front, and have an 11-speed cassette (11 to 46- tooth). It's perfect, I have my climbing gears, and plenty of top end speed for the trails.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Nice bike man, looks sweet! It appears to be built up well with good components. Carbon frames are awesome, and a 3kg drop in weight is significant - I bet you notice an improvement on how it pedals, accelerates, etc.

Congrats!
The acceleration and confidence in handling is night and day. Especially on the hills. You feel like you are getting out way more of the watts you are putting in. On my alloy frame it always felt like you were losing some in the flex and you were never so assured of the handling. So far so good. And the ultegra is butter smooth compared to my 105 on my last rig (which was pretty bombproof to be honest).

The weight drop was from a proper bog standard bike, but you are right. It just feels fresher under the feet, even when tickling around town on it.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Broke out my Salsa Mariachi Steel yesterday for first time in a year it is a 29er

LOl my biking muscles need work....got sore from 40 minutes of hills and trails my my house

slept like baby last nite
this is similar to mine...mine has diff forks and stuff but same frame
Very fun bike

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
1x is the way to go, at least for mountain biking. I will never go back to multiple chain rings. It's just unnecessary. With multiple chain rings, you end up with redundant gears. With the 11 and 12 speed cassettes that are popular now, you don't lose any of your gear ratios. It is simpler and better in my opinion. On my mountain bike I run a 34-tooth oval ring up front, and have an 11-speed cassette (11 to 46- tooth). It's perfect, I have my climbing gears, and plenty of top end speed for the trails.
I agree 100%. I think with a 12 speed and cheap enough cassettes to be able to change for the terrain a road bike with that setup would be fine. You would almost need ring by ring flexibility in the cassette though, but if you can muscle through it you might be alright. The gradient differences on the road are different, much more slight. None of the silly steep stuff like on a MTB. So you would rather have closer gears to allow you to stay seated and not be hauling your frame up the hill until you can get into the next ratio. That is the only downside. Until good cassettes are cheap enough to own maybe 3 then it might be hard.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Broke out my Salsa Mariachi Steel yesterday for first time in a year it is a 29er

LOl my biking muscles need work....got sore from 40 minutes of hills and trails my my house

slept like baby last nite
this is similar to mine...mine has diff forks and stuff but same frame
Very fun bike
Nice bike man! Salsa frames are sweet.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I agree 100%. I think with a 12 speed and cheap enough cassettes to be able to change for the terrain a road bike with that setup would be fine. You would almost need ring by ring flexibility in the cassette though, but if you can muscle through it you might be alright. The gradient differences on the road are different, much more slight. None of the silly steep stuff like on a MTB. So you would rather have closer gears to allow you to stay seated and not be hauling your frame up the hill until you can get into the next ratio. That is the only downside. Until good cassettes are cheap enough to own maybe 3 then it might be hard.
With the 12-speed cassettes, the ratios between each gear are pretty close. I don't think you'd notice much of a difference changing out cassettes. However, I do change out my front ring every now and again. At home I ride a 34-tooth front ring, but If I'm making a trip to the mountains I will swap that out for a 32-tooth. Makes my climbing gears a little easier for the long hauls up, and still gives me plenty of top end. I think swapping the front ring out is a better way to change your gear ratios. Just my 2 cents :)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
She is a bit heavy but I like how the frame feels....bought it all built up already and the other stuff is pretty nice too...was like 1750 many years back
I've never been one to worry about the weight of the bike. Sure, it's nice to have a light bike - but I don't focus on it like some others.

Steel frames have a certain "feel" to them. Nowadays there are alloys and carbon, but many people still ride steel frames to this day because of that feel.

To me the feel is more important than weight.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
This thread is getting me excited. I've been down for a while with a fucked up back. Ended up needing surgery about a month ago. Still have about two more months before I can get back on the trail. It's been killing me to be off of the bike. For years I have ridden 3-4 times a week, so it has been a hard adjustment to getting out zero times for the last few months. My brain is missing those exercise induced endorphins. In another week or two I should be cleared to start hitting the stationary bike, so at least I'll be able to start rebuilding my strength and endurance soon.

I'm glad to see this thread pop back up, as I had been kind of avoiding it so I didn't bum myself out thinking about how I can't bike :)

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
With the 12-speed cassettes, the ratios between each gear are pretty close. I don't think you'd notice much of a difference changing out cassettes. However, I do change out my front ring every now and again. At home I ride a 34-tooth front ring, but If I'm making a trip to the mountains I will swap that out for a 32-tooth. Makes my climbing gears a little easier for the long hauls up, and still gives me plenty of top end. I think swapping the front ring out is a better way to change your gear ratios. Just my 2 cents :)
On a road bike that is such a pain man. The chainset and front drive side crank are often one piece meaning you have to hold a few of those in reserve and depending on if you have a power meter some meters are built into the chain set. Where as changing a casette is just a case of taking the back wheel off. Hey dont let me sound like I know, I barely ever do either because I have plenty of gears and I am no mechanic.

Although a 12 speed would give you great variability I agree without any need to change. Even an 11 is pretty good. Just go mid range on the front ring and give it some more RPM between if you are finding you are halfway house.

Either way. Front mechs arent going away anytime soon on the road. I do want an electric groupset that matches when you change the big ring. That would be cool. A pet hate is having to match the two yourself, I want smooth transitions. A single front ring would fix that or di2 or SRAM red both offer (I think) matching when you jump the big ratio. I would like that. They cost more than I paid for my entire bike though... next year maybe.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
This thread is getting me excited. I've been down for a while with a fucked up back. Ended up needing surgery about a month ago. Still have about two more months before I can get back on the trail. It's been killing me to be off of the bike. For years I have ridden 3-4 times a week, so it has been a hard adjustment to getting out zero times for the last few months. My brain is missing those exercise induced endorphins. In another week or two I should be cleared to start hitting the stationary bike, so at least I'll be able to start rebuilding my strength and endurance soon.

I'm glad to see this thread pop back up, as I had been kind of avoiding it so I didn't bum myself out thinking about how I can't bike :)
Get back on it!!!! Nothing beats a good smash on the bike.