Lifestyle Mountain Bikers of TMMAC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Looks good! You consider getting clip in pedals? If you like to climb they're much needed imo.
Yeah that and I'm thinking about getting some other wheels/tires so I can do straight up road riding. I like the tires I have right now but they slow me down a little but I'd still like to use the bike for trail riding so I want to keep what I have. I talked to the dude that sold me the bike and he's going to hook me up.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah that and I'm thinking about getting some other wheels/tires so I can do straight up road riding. I like the tires I have right now but they slow me down a little but I'd still like to use the bike for trail riding so I want to keep what I have. I talked to the dude that sold me the bike and he's going to hook me up.
With those two items you'll notice a nice change for the street. You have one of those apps for tracking rides and suggesting routes?

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
With those two items you'll notice a nice change for the street. You have one of those apps for tracking rides and suggesting routes?
I'm going to get that as well. For now I just like getting out and seeing how far I can go.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Looks good! You consider getting clip in pedals? If you like to climb they're much needed imo.
These are a game changer, especially if you ride trails at all. I prefer Shimano SPD pedals/cleats. There are tons of options for shoes, but as far as pedals go I'd strongly suggest the Shimano ones. It's a good idea to keep a decent pair of flat pedals around too (just hang on to the ones you have if they're ok). That way you can have both - pedals for when you go out for a serious ride, or you can throw the flats on to go bum around town.

Yo La Paix @Kelly, I wanted to ask you about L @HodorIsBAE 's fork.

What would be the difference in weight if he had one of those central shock forks (don't know the terminology)...y'know the kind where the suspension is right above the forks (not the Cannondale lefty)?

Does that kind of suspension still get put out on some forks?

just curious btw :)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

What would be the difference in weight if he had one of those central shock forks (don't know the terminology)...y'know the kind where the suspension is right above the forks (not the Cannondale lefty)?

Not to answer for La Paix @Kelly...but I think what you're referring to is the Cannondale Headshock. I'm not sure if they even make those anymore, and I think they only worked with Cannondale frames. I know you could convert a headshock to a regular suspension fork, but pretty sure you couldn't go the other way. I haven't been around Cannondales for years though, so I may be speaking out of my ass :)

Edit: oh and also, there is a bit of a weight penalty when adding a fork but IMO it is negligible compared to the improvement to the ride quality you get out of a good suspension fork.

Not to answer for La Paix @Kelly...but I think what you're referring to is the Cannondale Headshock. I'm not sure if they even make those anymore, and I think they only worked with Cannondale frames. I know you could convert a headshock to a regular suspension fork, but pretty sure you couldn't go the other way. I haven't been around Cannondales for years though, so I may be speaking out of my ass :)
Actually I think you nailed it.
So if I had a frame like HodorisBae's, I could, hypothetically, put a headshock in there with little fuss?

Why'd they stop making them? They seem like such a good compromise for someone who has to deal with bumps every now and again. :/

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

I think you're referring to triple clamp from suspension? After looking the name should seem obvious.

Compared to double clamp

Difference in weight can vary but you're not going to see much more than 2-3 lbs tops iirc. What's more important to me is if it has the ability to be locked out or at least firmed up a lot to adjust for riding conditions. Best example from my own experience is doing a downhill hill that doesn't have a chair lift. I firm up my triple clamps as much as possible so around 1' of travel for the 11km climb then open them up to about 6" travel for the ride down.

I think you're referring to triple clamp from suspension? After looking the name should seem obvious.

Compared to double clamp

Difference in weight can vary but you're not going to see much more than 2-3 lbs tops iirc. What's more important to me is if it has the ability to be locked out or at least firmed up a lot to adjust for riding conditions. Best example from my own experience is doing a downhill hill that doesn't have a chair lift. I firm up my triple clamps as much as possible so around 1' of travel for the 11km climb then open them up to about 6" travel for the ride down.
nope, I meant the headshock thing

BUT tell me more about the triple clamp, afaik, double suspension can be locked out too (I'm pretty sure my fox float 32 can be), is the triple more for downhill downhill?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
So if I had a frame like HodorisBae's, I could, hypothetically, put a headshock in there with little fuss
I think it's the other way around - he could add a fork but probably not a Cannondale Headshock. Again, I may be wrong - but I think only Cannondale frames were made to custom fit the headshock (i.e. different than pretty much every other frame). The headshock was a Cannondale invention/patent and I think they limited the use of it to only their own frames. However, L @HodorIsBAE could easily throw a traditional suspension fork on his frame (and he should!)
Why'd they stop making them?
I think it was nothing more than the advancement in technology and the progression of other suspension designs. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't seen one of those in a long time so the Headshock may be off the market. FWIW, people seemed to like them and I think they were fairly durable. It was also silly to have all this proprietary stuff to only their own brand, as lots of shops didn't know how to service their suspension (especially the Lefty), so a lot of times when something broke people had to send their stuff in to Cannondale vs. taking it to a local shop.

Disclaimer:
I'm pretty stoned, I have no idea if I'm making any sense o_O

I think it was nothing more than the advancement in technology and the progression of other suspension designs.
hmm, still it seems like such a good compromise between weight and allowing one's machine to better handle uneven trails and the odd little drop here or there.
It was also silly to have all this proprietary stuff to only their own brand,
Yeah, that seems like a good way to reduce the number of units sold....but what do I know.

Superb job my good man, stay lucid :)

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
nope, I meant the headshock thing

BUT tell me more about the triple clamp, afaik, double suspension can be locked out too (I'm pretty sure my fox float 32 can be), is the triple more for downhill downhill?
Yes both can be locked out. I personally don't get too concerned with a pound here or there or an extra inch of travel when comparing double to triple clamps. The newer ones now both perform great but typically the doubles are set up for XC, all mountain and street and triples are for DH. Having said that i hear the reason riders go back to doubles is so they can blast jumps and still do cross ups as, seems like an extreme step to pull off a trick. Triple clamps are super durable, I have a set and have no desire to go to doubles and I ride all terrains.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
hmm, still it seems like such a good compromise between weight and allowing one's machine to better handle uneven trails and the odd little drop here or there.

Yeah, that seems like a good way to reduce the number of units sold....but what do I know.

Superb job my good man, stay lucid :)
Another thing about that headstock is the amount of stress or puts on the head tube directly I think. I'm just guessing here but I don't see how one could maintain or get replacement parts if that unit got damaged.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
I bought a used Kona fat tire bike for $900 here in Fairbanks, Alaska. Sounds expensive, but so is everything else up here. It's the only option during the winter time(If you're riding a bike-- obviously). Anybody else have one? I ride it during the summer sometimes also, but they are highly sought after by the local tweekers and sticky-fingered folks up here. Need a good lock. duh.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Yes both can be locked out. I personally don't get too concerned with a pound here or there or an extra inch of travel when comparing double to triple clamps. The newer ones now both perform great but typically the doubles are set up for XC, all mountain and street and triples are for DH. Having said that i hear the reason riders go back to doubles is so they can blast jumps and still do cross ups as, seems like an extreme step to pull off a trick. Triple clamps are super durable, I have a set and have no desire to go to doubles and I ride all terrains.
This. Triple clamp (or dual crown as I call them) forks are made to be super stiff and not flex while bombing gnarly downhill trails and jumps

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I bought a used Kona fat tire bike for $900 here in Fairbanks, Alaska. Sounds expensive, but so is everything else up here. It's the only option during the winter time(If you're riding a bike-- obviously). Anybody else have one? I ride it during the summer sometimes also, but they are highly sought after by the local tweekers and sticky-fingered folks up here. Need a good lock. duh.
I don't own one, but I've spent some time in the saddle of a fat tire bike. They're a lot of fun, lots of people are using them for trekking now.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Those look fun to ride around, you like it? Is it a bitch to lug around or not too bad?

I remember SNIDELY WHIPLASH @SNIDELY WHIPLASH saying his GF got him one a while ago and I think he lives in NYC.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
It(the fat tire) is pretty slow and less maneuverable-- turns are wider, but it seems like a cruiser-type ride, I don't feel like I need a helmet. Better exercise because it's more work. Just another option. I ride it to work where I can lock it in a closet. There are a lot of people who would love to kick the shit out of a $ 1,000plus bike. People would rather key a Ferrari than a P.O.S. Pinto.