Lifestyle Mountain Bikers of TMMAC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
Squeak free now? I don't miss those old V-brakes at all! Nowadays, hydraulic disc brakes regularly save my life lol. Back in the day though, V-brakes were the shit
Ughhh what a shit show. The Clark nuts didn't like the 3 way Park Tool hex I guess because of the ball end. Not a big deal but it was downhill from there. One of the nuts ended up stripping after it was on even after using a non ball L hex. I had to use the die grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut a flat blade slot to get it off. I used one of the old nuts problem solved. Ferrule popped off the cable and the end was all frayed so I put a new cable and ferrule on. It was a good lesson to show my son why you keep spare parts around. Finally got to use the third hand. Brakes work great but still FUCKING squeaking. I had him clean the rim with alcohol again. I'm hoping after they wear in maybe it will stop. What a friggin letdown. This is just the front BTW. Rear no squeaks.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I’ve been neglecting this thread...

Today we held our Sunday Church Service (we have a group that bikes almost every Sunday morning) in the cold and rain. 35F and raining lightly, and it was windy as hell. To me, a huge part of the culture of mountain biking is not being a pussy when the weather sucks :D. And despite the shitty weather today, it was actually nice to be out in it

Had fun playing in the mud a bit, worst part was hosing my bike down while it was 35F outside hah

Cool new trailing fork. Thought about you because of the bike

I had a trailing fork on a Honda bike.

And I’m thinking about getting one for my fat cruiser.

That beer cozy will likely get ordered at the same time.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Cool new trailing fork. Thought about you because of the bike

I had a trailing fork on a Honda bike.

And I’m thinking about getting one for my fat cruiser.

That beer cozy will likely get ordered at the same time.
I’ve read about that fork a little bit, pretty wild. I haven’t seen one in person yet, but I’d love to see how it feels on the trail. $2700 though....fuck!

That cruiser is sick man! A beer cozy is essential :D

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
I’ve read about that fork a little bit, pretty wild. I haven’t seen one in person yet, but I’d love to see how it feels on the trail. $2700 though....fuck!

That cruiser is sick man! A beer cozy is essential :D
2700 is fucking crazy but I too would love to try one.

My cruiser is actually black and white.

The tires soak up the bumps so I’m on the fence about the fork. It’s only 80 bucks though so I’ll likely pick it up out of curiosity. And you’re right, it would look better with a cozy.

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
In. I used to be big into mountain bikes about 25 years ago in my 20’s. I am taking the family to Moab this summer and figured the time was right to get a bike again. I had to buy 6 bikes for the whole family, so I couldn’t spend a bunch of money on new bikes, so I went with used. It is rough trying to get back in riding shape, and I forgot how fun it was to ride a bike around. My kids were surprised to see me hop over a curb. I used to be able to do most of my own work on my bike, but I have forgotten everything, also hydraulic brakes were barely around back in the day, so I’m way behind.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I can’t see this becoming popular anytime soon.

Though I would like to try it.
I agree with you that it likely won’t become the new thing in front suspension - but I’d sure like to give it a try. With a linkage system they can control/manipulate the geometry and the progressiveness of the stroke. So who knows, it may feel awesome on the trail!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
In. I used to be big into mountain bikes about 25 years ago in my 20’s. I am taking the family to Moab this summer and figured the time was right to get a bike again. I had to buy 6 bikes for the whole family, so I couldn’t spend a bunch of money on new bikes, so I went with used. It is rough trying to get back in riding shape, and I forgot how fun it was to ride a bike around. My kids were surprised to see me hop over a curb. I used to be able to do most of my own work on my bike, but I have forgotten everything, also hydraulic brakes were barely around back in the day, so I’m way behind.
That’s awesome man! Moab is one of my favorite places in the planet :) I was there in November on a biking trip.

I was also biking 25 years ago, and oh man how the technology has changed! I’m sure you’ve noticed, but mountain bikes have some crazy technology these days. And of course they are much more expensive nowadays. 6 bikes had to sting the wallet hah.

Moab has great bike shops if you need anything while you’re out there, and you can also rent high end bikes if you would rather do that than travel with a bunch of bikes. Poison Spider and Chili Pepper are the ones I like best.

Welcome to the mountain bike thread my man, post some Moab pics when y’all get out there!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Mixing wheel sizes? Kids these days... Lol at calling them mullet bikes though.

Video: Are 29/27.5
Haha. I’ve heard about people running the “mullet” setup, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone actually running their bike like that.

I get why a rider may want the extra squish of the 27.5+ out back, but a part of me wishes the industry would quit messing around with wheel sizes. Just pick a couple sizes dammit!

You been riding bud? I’ve barely been getting out lately...work has been slamming. That’s right kind of problem for a small business to have, but it’s been consuming and tiring. I’m finally starting to get my head above water so I should be able to start getting out more again. I’m not in bad shape as my work is pretty physical, but I know I’m not in prime biking shape. I ride with some talented and fit dudes, and it hurts when your the one out of shape and trying to keep up. They’re assholes too, so they will be jumping on the chance to try to stomp me into the trail :D I’ve been on the other side enough times, so I guess it’s just my turn to take a beating for a few rides ;)

You have any trips lined up? I’m going to CO this summer, I think end of July or early August. Plenty of time to get in shape! Hopefully Moab again this fall too.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
A few months back, Texas opened its first lift-access bike park called Spider Mountain. It is about an hour away from me. It's in the Texas Hill Country, but obviously this isn't nearly as big as a ski mountain. Regardless, I've heard it's quite a bit of fun. I believe that they have 7 or 8 trails open now, and have about 20 more under construction or planned. Should be cool to see how this fills out.

I'm making my first trip out there this weekend, better go find my knee pads! I'm getting pumped!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvpRe6CNEVg&t=476s

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
A few months back, Texas opened its first lift-access bike park called Spider Mountain. It is about an hour away from me. It's in the Texas Hill Country, but obviously this isn't nearly as big as a ski mountain. Regardless, I've heard it's quite a bit of fun. I believe that they have 7 or 8 trails open now, and have about 20 more under construction or planned. Should be cool to see how this fills out.

I'm making my first trip out there this weekend, better go find my knee pads! I'm getting pumped!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvpRe6CNEVg&t=476s
That's awesome bud. Not sure if you've done lift access yet but it's my favorite. I got out for my first real ride over the weekend. Lots of fun and the trails have developed some nice upgrades. They added a nice jump line on one of the popular trails down so I'll be hitting that up asap. This is just at a local trail 10 minutes from my place. It's about an hour and fifteen to climb then pick a path down. Big White opens its lifts in about a month. Only trip I have planned so far is at a MTN called Sun Peaks in Kamloops which is about two hours away. Great trails and it's a big enough ski resort that the village is still fun in the summer. No idea what your area looks like but ripping too sperm through narrow single track in trees is as good as it gets.

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
That's awesome bud. Not sure if you've done lift access yet but it's my favorite. I got out for my first real ride over the weekend. Lots of fun and the trails have developed some nice upgrades. They added a nice jump line on one of the popular trails down so I'll be hitting that up asap. This is just at a local trail 10 minutes from my place. It's about an hour and fifteen to climb then pick a path down. Big White opens its lifts in about a month. Only trip I have planned so far is at a MTN called Sun Peaks in Kamloops which is about two hours away. Great trails and it's a big enough ski resort that the village is still fun in the summer. No idea what your area looks like but ripping too sperm through narrow single track in trees is as good as it gets.

No idea what your area looks like but ripping sperm through narrow is as good as it gets.

Is what Spandex leads too?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

Cool vid, looks klller!

I've done lift access a bunch, but it is always something I have to travel to CO for so it is infrequent for me. Will be nice to have that style of riding closer to home. The trails at this new place are pretty tight, lots of tree dodging will be happening. Ripping singletrack is one of the greatest feelings (as long as i don't shoulder-check any junipers :D)

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Cool vid, looks klller!

I've done lift access a bunch, but it is always something I have to travel to CO for so it is infrequent for me. Will be nice to have that style of riding closer to home. The trails at this new place are pretty tight, lots of tree dodging will be happening. Ripping singletrack is one of the greatest feelings (as long as i don't shoulder-check any junipers :D)
If I were to make a trip to the US for MTN biking what are some of the top destinations? Preferably lift access with some XC around as well.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
If I were to make a trip to the US for MTN biking what are some of the top destinations? Preferably lift access with some XC around as well.
I'm mostly familiar with Colorado's offerings, and most of the ski resorts have lifts running in the summer for bikers. Crested Butte is great, and I've also been to Keystone, Steamboat, Winter Park, Snowmass, and Breckenridge. Had a blast at every one of those places. They all have XC options near the ski mountains. There are trails everywhere in CO!

Check out this link, it has bike parks for all over the country. You can see what the different options are in various states. There are lift options available in New Mexico, Utah, Cali, Oregon, Washington, etc.
MtbParks.com | Your Guide to all the Best Mountain Bike Parks across Canada and the US

Never_Rolled

First 10,000
Dec 17, 2018
An update. I don't feel bad. I have pride , stupidity or stubbornness that I can fix anything. That bike drove me nuts. I finally gave in and took it to the bike shop. Mechanic told me worked on it two hours and couldn't get the front brakes to stop squeaking. He adjusted everything else and got it in the best shapes it's going to be.