Lifestyle Mountain Bikers of TMMAC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Bro, I got you. I just took my lunch break and luckily I’m right beside my LBS who sells Evil. They got two on the floor. One L one XL both Wasabi grey. $9700 CA. You buy it online and I’ll ship it out to you tomorrow.

View attachment 67575

View attachment 67574

I’m being serious man. That photo is two minutes old.
Thanks brother, I appreciate that. Let me ponder for a bit. The shop here is going to let me demo one of their rental Ripmos for free (because they want me to buy one lol), so I at least want to see what’s up there.

that’s crazy y’all have them in stock, I imagine that’s a popular bike up there. All the shops on here are doing pre-sales where you pay and then just get it whenever it comes in.

I know I’d love that Offering, but the Ripmo is built out really fancy. Shit, I don’t know what to do! My brain is scrambled with bikes lol

let me go test ride this Ibis and that may be my deciding factor. Thanks again brother.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Thanks brother, I appreciate that. Let me ponder for a bit. The shop here is going to let me demo one of their rental Ripmos for free (because they want me to buy one lol), so I at least want to see what’s up there.

that’s crazy y’all have them in stock, I imagine that’s a popular bike up there. All the shops on here are doing pre-sales where you pay and then just get it whenever it comes in.

I know I’d love that Offering, but the Ripmo is built out really fancy. Shit, I don’t know what to do! My brain is scrambled with bikes lol

let me go test ride this Ibis and that may be my deciding factor. Thanks again brother.
Ya I told them toir other option is the Ripmo and they said it’s a solid bike but guys who’ve done back to back prefer the Evil. Crunch the numbers too as you might save on exchange rate. Add in fast shipping and you might be able to get what you want within a week or two. I think it’s just luck/chance they have two on the floor. Beauty bike man. Sorry to hear yours got stolen.

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
Did you finger it? I would have ?

what’d you hit? Or just an old tire?
Just old and plenty of mileage. I have seen warning signs after this winter that I should replace the tyres, but I didn't pull the trigger yet. Now I have no choice.

It still carried me back home without losing air tho, so the finger didn't get a new hole to explore!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Just old and plenty of mileage. I have seen warning signs after this winter that I should replace the tyres, but I didn't pull the trigger yet. Now I have no choice.

It still carried me back home without losing air tho, so the finger didn't get a new hole to explore!
A fresh set of tires is always a nice treat! Change the tubes at the same time too ?

I forget about tubes, I run tubeless on my mountain bike. And then there is a latex sealant inside, so if I get a puncture it will seal itself up and stop leaking. But I carry a tube just in case I have a blowout or gash like that

Last edited:

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
A fresh set of tires is always a nice treat! Change the tubes at the same time too ?

I forget about tubes, I run tubeless on my mountain bike. And then there is a latex sealant inside, so if I get a puncture it will seal itself up and stop leaking. But I carry a tube just in case I have a blowout or gash like that
I have mixed experiences with the self-seal stuff. Didn't really work on one occasion but at least made it harder to discover the leak. I checked the valve without need. And when I found the leak it spilled green slime, heh.

I'm gonna decide on the weekend what kind of tires I'm going for, but I clearly have a different scope, it's just a city bike and not for extreme sport like you gents need.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I have mixed experiences with the self-seal stuff. Didn't really work on one occasion but at least made it harder to discover the leak. I checked the valve without need. And when I found the leak it spilled green slime, heh.

I'm gonna decide on the weekend what kind of tires I'm going for, but I clearly have a different scope, it's just a city bike and not for extreme sport like you gents need.
Yeah, the green slime stuff sucks. It’s way to thick and gummy. There are better options for mountain bikes and ATV’s (Stans No Tubes and Orange Seal), and those really thin like water. I have to add more about once a year. That green stuff is so thick that it can gather in one spot and make your wheel feel out of balance too.

It’s saved me a bunch of times out on the trail. Basically just spin the tire and slosh it around until it seals, and then add a little air if needed.

for trail riding the advantage is that I can run lower tire pressure without the tubes. And that makes for a more comfortable ride, and the tire can squish a little to conform to the trail.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah, the green slime stuff sucks. It’s way to thick and gummy. There are better options for mountain bikes and ATV’s (Stans No Tubes and Orange Seal), and those really thin like water. I have to add more about once a year. That green stuff is so thick that it can gather in one spot and make your wheel feel out of balance too.

It’s saved me a bunch of times out on the trail. Basically just spin the tire and slosh it around until it seals, and then add a little air if needed.

for trail riding the advantage is that I can run lower tire pressure without the tubes. And that makes for a more comfortable ride, and the tire can squish a little to conform to the trail.
You ever own a Santa Cruz?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I did, I had two of them. Very nice bikes. I had a Blur LT and a Tallboy.

So I test rode the Ripmo, and it was pretty awesome. I also did the money conversion and the Offering you saw is about $1000 more than here....how do you afford to live up there lol

I think I may end up going with the Ripmo, the build kit is just too stellar. The Offering has the low level Sram and Code Brakes (which aren't reviewed all that well). But the frame and shocks are awesome. The Ripmo has a full Shimano XT kit (which is what I wanted, and Shimano parts are hard to find these days), and top of the line Fox shocks. And best of all....the Rip comes with carbon wheels, and those are expensive as shit. I'd have to spend an extra $2500 to get the Offering built the same. And the price is just a little more than the Offering, so I'm leaning towards the option where I get more bang for my buck. And.....I might be able to get it today. I'm so hard about having a bike again haha

And dude, I really appreciate you taking the time to go look at the shop the other day. This has been a weird process where everything I find available has made me choose some type of compromise. Even with the Offering, I love the frame and shocks but wasn't stoked about the rest of the build. But that's literally the only way they are sending them out because that's all they can get. In the case of the Ripmo the compromise is that it wasn't exactly what I was looking for a first, but now that I've spent a little time on it and seen the parts it comes with there is very little I can bitch about. Both bikes use a DW link type of rear suspension, so it actually felt very similar to my Evil.

I have until early afternoon to decide and I'm supposed to call the shop then. If I hesitate it will be gone in a couple of days. But god damn it was super nice. And best of all my insurance settlement covers almost all of it!

If I end up grabbing it today I will be sure to post some pics. I will admit that I am overly excited at the prospect of having a bike in the garage again!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I'll add this:

When I first moved to Austin, Santa Cruz were popular in town. But the shop that sold them is now closed, so I haven't seen them around in quite a while. I bought the Blur LT when I first moved here, and at that time it was by far the nicest bike I had ever owned. First one I had hydraulic disc brakes on too. That was a really special bike to me and is one of the few that I kept the frame when I moved on to something else. That was also my last 26-inch wheel bike. They make a bike now called the Hightower, and that is their version on the same level as the Evil and Ripmo I've been looking at. That would have been a good option too, but like everything else they are hard to find around here.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I did, I had two of them. Very nice bikes. I had a Blur LT and a Tallboy.

So I test rode the Ripmo, and it was pretty awesome. I also did the money conversion and the Offering you saw is about $1000 more than here....how do you afford to live up there lol

I think I may end up going with the Ripmo, the build kit is just too stellar. The Offering has the low level Sram and Code Brakes (which aren't reviewed all that well). But the frame and shocks are awesome. The Ripmo has a full Shimano XT kit (which is what I wanted, and Shimano parts are hard to find these days), and top of the line Fox shocks. And best of all....the Rip comes with carbon wheels, and those are expensive as shit. I'd have to spend an extra $2500 to get the Offering built the same. And the price is just a little more than the Offering, so I'm leaning towards the option where I get more bang for my buck. And.....I might be able to get it today. I'm so hard about having a bike again haha

And dude, I really appreciate you taking the time to go look at the shop the other day. This has been a weird process where everything I find available has made me choose some type of compromise. Even with the Offering, I love the frame and shocks but wasn't stoked about the rest of the build. But that's literally the only way they are sending them out because that's all they can get. In the case of the Ripmo the compromise is that it wasn't exactly what I was looking for a first, but now that I've spent a little time on it and seen the parts it comes with there is very little I can bitch about. Both bikes use a DW link type of rear suspension, so it actually felt very similar to my Evil.

I have until early afternoon to decide and I'm supposed to call the shop then. If I hesitate it will be gone in a couple of days. But god damn it was super nice. And best of all my insurance settlement covers almost all of it!

If I end up grabbing it today I will be sure to post some pics. I will admit that I am overly excited at the prospect of having a bike in the garage again!

I think we’re close in age, if this Ripmo gets you riding today and you’re out the gate with carbon wheels just do it. Sounds like you loved tori Evil but I’m always a fan of change. I’m a little surprised that bike I sent you cost $1000 more. That sucks lol.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

I think we’re close in age, if this Ripmo gets you riding today and you’re out the gate with carbon wheels just do it. Sounds like you loved tori Evil but I’m always a fan of change. I’m a little surprised that bike I sent you cost $1000 more. That sucks lol.
Yeah, I was a little surprised too that the cost of the Evil was that much different. But to be fair to them, the past couple of years have been tough on bike makers and bike shops and there have been multiple price jumps that are largely out of their control. Shit is just a lot more expensive now across the board for them and it sucks.

I'm typically not a big fan of change and I think that's why I was so laser focused on another Evil. But all the top brands now make incredible bikes, so they're all pretty god damn nice and you can' really go too wrong with whatever choice you make. While I typically don't go for change (although I know I should), I do believe that sometimes shit happens for a reason. And this Ripmo wasn't super high on my radar, but they way this is all shaking out feels like the right thing.

And damn it, I'm going to feel like shit on the trail this weekend lol. I've had some time off not biking, I have two parties to go to this weekend so I'll likely be at least a little hungover, and now it's getting hot out. But time to whip myself back into shape and get after it! Really looking forward to hitting the trails again.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

Just spent about 3 hours tuning the suspension, putting sealant in the tires, and cleaning all the packing grease off of the drivetrain.

These wheels/hubs are incredible ?. Ibis S35 carbon hoops with Industry 9 hubs, which are the gold standard of hubs. Definitely the nicest set of wheels I’ve ever owned!

maiden voyage tomorrow, which is supposed to be our first day this year to hit 100F (38C) so that part sucks. But I’m stoked.

DF187C21-4EC5-4561-AD7E-6C7D896B7E26.jpeg

Sex Chicken

Exotic Dancer
Sep 8, 2015
Just spent about 3 hours tuning the suspension, putting sealant in the tires, and cleaning all the packing grease off of the drivetrain.

These wheels/hubs are incredible ?. Ibis S35 carbon hoops with Industry 9 hubs, which are the gold standard of hubs. Definitely the nicest set of wheels I’ve ever owned!

maiden voyage tomorrow, which is supposed to be our first day this year to hit 100F (38C) so that part sucks. But I’m stoked.

View attachment 67753
I love how happy the new bike makes you. All the best.
7F6A6573-9A2D-4A59-88C3-E34F7FF46D42.jpeg

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
La Paix @Mirko Growcrops

Holy shit, I was just watching this again^^^^

Some of those tight big penalty switchbacks they hit are making my palms sweat lol. Not sure if you saw this back when I posted it, but it's worth a watch. Especially because I assume your biking season is in full effect :)