Mousasi confirms fighters still don't know Reebok details yet

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Are there examples of this already happening? You're suggesting that fighters cannot get any benefits from the Reebok deal until summer, but prior to that fighters have had sponsors pulled b/c of the Reebok deal?
Brendan Schaub just to name one

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I believe Mitrione said he lost a sponsor that was 20k per fight. And that was just one sponsor.
Yea, Schaub and Mitrione have both come out publicly and said they lost big money on current sponsorships. Mitrione lost a 20k per fight sponsor and I believe Schaub said he lost 30k so far. It was the result of the Reebok deal. Sponsors decided to pull out early.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Yea, Schaub and Mitrione have both come out publicly and said they lost big money on current sponsorships. Mitrione lost a 20k per fight sponsor and I believe Schaub said he lost 30k so far. It was the result of the Reebok deal. Sponsors decided to pull out early.
I don't know if it's b/c I'm going off 15hrs sleep in 3 days, or if I'm just getting old, but you're 100% right I completely forgot about both of those examples. I'm fairly sure I even posted on threads here about there situation. Jesus UFC, get with the program!!

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don't know if it's b/c I'm going off 15hrs sleep in 3 days, or if I'm just getting old, but you're 100% right I completely forgot about both of those examples. I'm fairly sure I even posted on threads here about there situation. Jesus UFC, get with the program!!
It definitely sucks for those guys. I had no clue they were making that much money in sponsorships.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I think it's because of those free tickets!

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Gegard: I don't know. I will have to wait and see because nothing has been announced about the Reebok deal on what the numbers will be. I think they're still figuring it out with the rankings and the payment of the fighters.
Ouch who is going to do the rankings? the UFC? Then they decide who gets how much money? And if the fighter doesn't play ball will they put him down a ranking?

This seems like more control for the UFC.

Will they tell the public how much money Reebok is even paying them? Because similar to fighter pay it could be skewed where they take 70% of the profits and let the fighters get the rest.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Ouch who is going to do the rankings? the UFC? Then they decide who gets how much money? And if the fighter doesn't play ball will they put him down a ranking?

This seems like more control for the UFC.

Will they tell the public how much money Reebok is even paying them? Because similar to fighter pay it could be skewed where they take 70% of the profits and let the fighters get the rest.
i think its still the people who are doing the rankings now...

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
i think its still the people who are doing the rankings now...
isnt the current ranking system super subjective?

sucks that people's salaries will be based on that.

There was an interesting piece done by Cagepotato listing the problems with the current rating panelists made up of the mma media.

K found it.. its really interesting to see the ranking system and how different people have different criteria that change rankings. Number 5 is a mod from the UG.

The Top Ten Worst UFC Rankings Panelists

(Darren Uyenoyama was released by the UFC after going 0-2 last year. At the time of this writing, three different UFC ranking panelists still have him listed as a top 10 flyweight. Read on for more disturbing facts! / Photo via Getty)

By
Cody Severtson

“These panelists may have a direct effect on how much fighters get paid.”

I kept telling myself that as I filtered through each UFC panelist’s ranking data, shaking my head in total disbelief.

For quite some time, MMA media, fighters and fans alike campaigned for better fighter pay. With the UFC
announcing a six-year sponsorship deal with Reebok this past Tuesday (totaling an estimated $70 million), we were told that every penny would go into the fighters’ pockets. After all, the UFC’s primary reason for making this deal was to add a layer of professionalism to their organization, one which would make them in a way, similar to other major sports organizations.

So say goodbye to the
fight banners, the sponsor-covered shorts, and the walkout shirts! For the next six years, it’s Reebok only, baby! Any sponsors that the fighters and their managers have already secured will be banned from being visible inside the Octagon. Depending on the loyalty of sponsors, we could end up seeing a lot more of this. Conversely, if the UFC does overhaul the ranking system and a fair pay structure is implemented, sponsor loyalty won’t be an issue. A new ranking system should provide an unbiased/accurate/educated selection of each division’s top 15 — a system that will award the UFC’s athletes with the fair and adequate sponsorship money they deserve.

As of right now, a fighter’s sponsorship cut will be tied directly to where they sit in the
UFC rankings. That’s right… the same rankings done by the always reliable UFC-approved voting panelists. According to DFW, the current panelist voting system will soon be updated; White aims to narrow down the current field of panelists to a select few “legitimate, credible and ethical guys” in order to gain better results. Unfortunately for White, every “legitimate, credible, and ethical guy” in MMA media has already recognized the blatant conflict of interest this system presents and has refused to participate in the ranking system.

With that said, I have put together a list of the 10 worst panelists currently
contributing to the UFC’s divisional rankings. Let’s get started...

Last edited:

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
isnt the current ranking system super subjective?

sucks that people's salaries will be based on that.

There was an interesting piece done by Cagepotato i think it was on it. K found it.. its really interesting to see the ranking system and how different people have different criteria that change rankings. Number 5 is a mod from the UG.

http://www.cagepotato.com/the-top-ten-worst-ufc-rankings-panelists/
Yes it is super subjective which is fuckeddddd

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
Are there examples of this already happening? You're suggesting that fighters cannot get any benefits from the Reebok deal until summer, but prior to that fighters have had sponsors pulled b/c of the Reebok deal?
big schaub talked about a while ago. they aren't getting anything from the reebok deal yet, or mousasi and others wouldn't have said they don't know anything about it yet. mitrione said that he will be losing a 30k sponsor because of this reebok deal also. as these contracts with sponsors reach there end, they won't be renewed, so if it isn't ended right when the reebok deal starts, that will be time without sponsor money. some sponsors will be, and are ending contracts before this takes effect.