Mousasi vs. Brunson planned for UFC 200

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The pieces are slowly coming into place for the landmark UFC 200.

Gegard Mousasi is very likely to meet Derek Brunson on the July 9 card in Las Vegas in a key middleweight showdown. MMAFighting.com confirmed after an initial Thursday report by FOXSports.com.

UFC 200 will be the first UFC event at the opulent new T-Mobile Arena.

A Wednesday report of a planned Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne matchup was the first significant UFC 200 fight to publicly surface.

LINK: Gegard Mousasi vs. Derek Brunson planned for UFC 200

P

Punch

Lol, beat me to posting.

This one could be fireworks if Moose is forced to work, and my guess is he will be. Brunson is no joke.

P

Punch

After looking at his wiki, I have moose by KO
I don't think that standing with moose is Derek's path for victory unless moose gets sloppy and caught. But moose rarely gets sloppy. I think he'll need to wrestle him for a decision. I doubt he'll tap moose.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Brunson was a 3-time Division II All-American wrestler from the University of North Carolina at Pembroke.[5] When he finished college he immediately turned his attention to mixed martial arts. He trains at Renzo Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and Jackson's MMA along with Jon Jones.[4]

MMA careerEdit

Brunson made his professional MMA debut in May 2010 against John Bryant where he won by a rear naked choke in under a minute. He then won his next 5 fights with none of them having made it past 2:30 of the first round.[6]

StrikeforceEdit
Brunson made his Strikeforce debut on June 24, 2011 at Strikeforce Challengers: Fodor vs. Terry against undefeated Jeremy Hamilton.[7]He won the fight via unanimous decision.

In a quick turnaround, Brunson fought his second fight for Strikeforce just over one month after his debut. He faced Lumumba Sayers on the undercard of Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson on July 30, 2011.[8] He won the fight via submission in the first round.

Brunson's next fight was on November 18, 2011 at Strikeforce Challengers: Britt vs. Sayers against Nate James. He won the fight via unanimous decision.

Brunson was scheduled to face Ronaldo Souza on March 3, 2012 at Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey. However, the Ohio State Athletic Commission denied his fight license based on an eye exam he had submitted. Derek fought wearing contacts in all of his bouts but Ohio has a rule against this. Derek immediately scheduled a Lasik procedure and is expected to miss about 6 weeks.[9] Brunson later faced Souza on August 18, 2012 at Strikeforce: Rousey vs Kaufman and was defeated by KO at :41 of the 1st round.

The Ultimate FighterEdit
Brunson was accepted to compete in The Ultimate Fighter 17, but on the first day of filming he was pulled from the competition due to Showtime having yet to release him from his contract.

Ultimate Fighting Championship

Brunson made his UFC debut replacing an injured Karlos Vemola against Chris Leben on December 29, 2012 at UFC 155.[10] Despite being a late replacement and heavy underdog, Brunson utilized his superior wrestling to defeat Leben via unanimous decision.

Brunson was expected to face Ronny Markeson June 8, 2013 at UFC on Fuel TV 10.[11]However, the bout was scrapped on the day of the weigh in as Markes was involved in a traffic accident. While Markes was not seriously injured, the incident prevented him from competing.[12]

Brunson was expected to face Yoel Romeroon August 31, 2013 at UFC 164[13] but was eventually forced off the card with an injury.[14]

Brunson was expected to face Antonio Braga Neto on November 6, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 31.[15] However, Neto pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Brian Houston.[16] Brunson won the fight in impressive fashion early, connecting with a head kick on Houston and then securing a rear-naked choke submission.

The bout with Romero was rescheduled for January 15, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 35.[17]After winning the first two rounds, Brunson was dropped by a left hook and lost the fight via TKO due to elbows on the ground in the third round. Both fighters earned a $50,000Fight of the Night bonus award.[18]

On February 15, 2014 it was announced that Brunson has signed a four-fight contract with UFC.[19]

Brunson was expected to face Lorenz Larkinon August 2, 2014 at UFC 176.[20] After UFC 176 was cancelled, Larkin/Brunson was rescheduled and eventually took place on August 30, 2014 at UFC 177.[21] Brunson won the fight via unanimous decision.

Brunson was expected to face Ed Herman on December 13, 2014 at UFC on Fox 13.[22]However, the bout was scrapped just hours before the fight, as Brunson was stricken with a stomach ailment.[23] Subsequently, the bout with Herman was rescheduled and took place on January 31, 2015 at UFC 183.[24] Brunson won the fight via TKO in the first round.

Brunson was expected to face Krzysztof Jotko on June 20, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 69.[25] However, Brunson pulled out of the fight on June 9 citing a rib injury and was briefly replaced by Uriah Hall.[26] Three days after the booking, Hall was removed due to an alleged visa issue. In turn, Jotko was removed from the card entirely.[27]

Brunson faced Sam Alvey on August 8, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 73.[28] He won the fight via TKO in the first round.[29]

Brunson faced Roan Carneiro on February 21, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 83.[30] He won the fight via TKO, earning his third consecutive TKO stoppage in the first round.[31]

PrideRules

Pride Never Die!!!
Oct 20, 2015
I don't think that standing with moose is Derek's path for victory unless moose gets sloppy and caught. But moose rarely gets sloppy. I think he'll need to wrestle him for a decision. I doubt he'll tap moose.
I saw he's a ncaa wrestler with a belt from Renzo with3 back to back to back kos.

I noticed he's been ko'd twice himself.

My guess is mooses laid back style will lull Derek into feeling confident standing and then bingo.

P

Punch

I saw he's a ncaa wrestler with a belt from Renzo with3 back to back to back kos.

My guess is mooses laid back style will lull Derek into feeling confident standing and then bingo.
Yeah that's the thing about moose that's kind of frustrating to see. He's obviously quite capable of cranking the pressure up higher than he does, but he'll go just the smallest fraction above his opponent if he can to eek out the victory.

PrideRules

Pride Never Die!!!
Oct 20, 2015
Yeah that's the thing about moose that's kind of frustrating to see. He's obviously quite capable of cranking the pressure up higher than he does, but he'll go just the smallest fraction above his opponent if he can to eek out the victory.
Could you imagine if he had diegos Y E S

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015

He had Romero under control until he tried to coast

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
that says a lot. I think I'll watch that.
Funny thing is, I could see what he was trying to do and was thinking I've tried that in wrestling (HS level, that is) and was thinking, oh shit he's asking for trouble.......very palpable. He learned from it.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
If I called a Mousasi loss I'd feel dirty and treacherous.
I agree with the analyses' given.
I think because of history for both fighters, this will bring a championship-level fight to the table.
Mousasi has never received his due credit, and Brunson has been plagued with oddities interlaced with very good successes.
At first, I felt like, here they go again, trying to erase Mousasi...
But the more I think about it, the more I like it.
The fact is, Mousasi imo is a perennial top 3 guy on earth at all times.
If he has to fight another wrassler with power(Mo II), then UFC 200 is a long awaited gift to do so.
I think Mousasi wins by some sort of stoppage late in the third over a game, all-or-nothing Brunson.

P

Punch

If I called a Mousasi loss I'd feel dirty and treacherous.
I agree with the analyses' given.
I think because of history for both fighters, this will bring a championship-level fight to the table.
Mousasi has never received his due credit, and Brunson has been plagued with oddities interlaced with very good successes.
At first, I felt like, here they go again, trying to erase Mousasi...
But the more I think about it, the more I like it.
The fact is, Mousasi imo is a perennial top 3 guy on earth at all times.
If he has to fight another wrassler with power(Mo II), then UFC 200 is a long awaited gift to do so.
I think Mousasi wins by some sort of stoppage late in the third over a game, all-or-nothing Brunson.
I like moose a lot, but i gotta root for the boy from the Cack. :D

PrideRules

Pride Never Die!!!
Oct 20, 2015
good fight. Yoel Romero vs Derek Brunson FGighjt Video:UFC FN 35

Didn't realize I watched this one till the lu kang nut shot.

Brunson was winning, but I think he just was inefficient with his energy.

I think moose is too technical and he should be able to keep it on the feet.

Brunson has got a chin. He took a lot of hard hard shots and didn't go out. I still have moose for the win, but change to decision.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
good fight. Yoel Romero vs Derek Brunson FGighjt Video:UFC FN 35

Didn't realize I watched this one till the lu kang nut shot.

Brunson was winning, but I think he just was inefficient with his energy.

I think moose is too technical and he should be able to keep it on the feet.

Brunson has got a chin. He took a lot of hard hard shots and didn't go out. I still have moose for the win, but change to decision.
I didn't realize I actually attended Sayers/Brunson until I wiki'd :)

View: https://youtu.be/G2U1xb7bj1w

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
I'm stoked for this fight but hopefully it's an undercard. They need higher profile fight for main card ufc200. Should have something like 2 title fights but we might only see one cuz Conor/Nate matched up again.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Brunson is on a pretty nice rip right now. Jackson will have his A$$ dialed in for this fight. My theory about padding the card with useless fights and big fighters is faltering, this could actually set up who is a contender

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015

The pieces are slowly coming into place for the landmark UFC 200.

Gegard Mousasi is very likely to meet Derek Brunson on the July 9 card in Las Vegas in a key middleweight showdown. MMAFighting.com confirmed after an initial Thursday report by FOXSports.com.

UFC 200 will be the first UFC event at the opulent new T-Mobile Arena.

A Wednesday report of a planned Cain Velasquez vs. Travis Browne matchup was the first significant UFC 200 fight to publicly surface.

LINK: Gegard Mousasi vs. Derek Brunson planned for UFC 200