Movement Culture

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Ido Portal | Movement Culture | Culture
I started training Brazilian Jiujitsu a few years ago. After a lifetime of practicing different martial arts & self defense, BJJ opened my eyes to how little actual body control I have. I used to have it. What the hell happened? Well life happened, my body adjusted, & locked itself into shitty patterns of movement. Not one to get my ass kicked without learning something, I started my search for improved mobility. This is one of the good sites I've found. I guess this thread is for anything body movement oriented.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
This intrigues me. On the subject of movement. I started running for a lot of the philosophies mentioned in this video.
What can humans do? What are they good at? Are they the BEST at anything over other animals?

Long distance running.

No animal stands a chance against the human form in long distances. You can train to run down a Gazelle if you wanted. Literally, no tools. Just your physicality.

I love the focus on maximizing what your one and only body can do.

vermonter

May 15, 2015
I've talked a lot about the human animal and our proclivities toward endurance on a different forum. Cool to hear people talking about it here. We are definitely endurance kings. The world record mile is 3:43ish I believe. The average mile of the fastest marathoner was 4:41. That's an average. He definitely had miles that were at least 4:30. The capacity of the aerobic system is enormous and should be the focus of most athletes.

RE: movement stuff. I really like it. However, I think a good posture foundation for people beginning a program like this at a relatively advanced age (say... anything older than 25) is a better idea.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
However, I think a good posture foundation for people beginning a program like this at a relatively advanced age (say... anything older than 25) is a better idea.
Can you make a post about this? Im not sure what that entails.

Darqnezz

Apr 25, 2015
Cobrinha Warm ups
Rubens Charles Maciel
aka "Cobrinha" and sometimes referred to as Rubens "Cobrinha" Charles, is considered among some to be the best BJJ featherweight of the decade, and is among the best pound for pound jiu jitsu competitors in the world. Cobrinha has won a total of six world championship titles in Brazilian jiu-jitsu as a black belt.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
This intrigues me. On the subject of movement. I started running for a lot of the philosophies mentioned in this video.
What can humans do? What are they good at? Are they the BEST at anything over other animals?

Long distance running.

No animal stands a chance against the human form in long distances. You can train to run down a Gazelle if you wanted. Literally, no tools. Just your physicality.

I love the focus on maximizing what your one and only body can do.
Have you read the book Born To Run? Pretty interesting chapter on persistence hunting.

Feb 28, 2015
Love this, thanks for sharing. Since I moved here last year I've been training with a guy who focuses on movement and mobility and it's been awesome. I slowed a bit because some lower back stuff popped up out of nowhere but it's gotten better and already back doing my hand balancing and movement drills.

This kind of stuff fascinates me, I need to build an actual practice around it.

Darqnezz

Apr 25, 2015
I ruptured my Achilles tendon in 2007. I wish I knew about this stuff before it happened.