General My Accidental pet pigeon

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I have a number of plastic bins on an outdoor Shelf at my apartment that I use for storage.

So this bird moved in...

She started building a nest.

Well hell. I don't have a proper birdhouse and she's already started moving in.

Cut a shoe box to mimic the rough shape of the area she's decided to put her nest in...

Art Deco Upgrade.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Bird hasn't left in a couple of days now.

I had to go out of town my wife attempted to sneak the Box towards the bird LOL

This was not the plan.

She's pissed
u wut m8!!??

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'll finish transplanting her nest when I'm home in a couple of days. Then I'll use the box to relocate her where I can put her in a proper birdhouse or something

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Lady Hands squirrel feeding thread v2.0

The remakes are never as good as the original.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Good luck bro. Pigeons lay eggs year round and typically stay in the same place for as long as they are able. Once the eggs hatch, the chicks can take as long as a month to leave the nest. It's not uncommon to have new eggs laid before the previous chicks leave the nest. They are breeding machines.

If you are able to get her moved, put a door on the front of your outdoor shelf.

Oh - and I guarantee there is a male around somewhere watching your every move around that nest. Pigeons are monogamous and typically pair up with a partner for life.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Good luck bro. Pigeons lay eggs year round and typically stay in the same place for as long as they are able. Once the eggs hatch, the chicks can take as long as a month to leave the nest. It's not uncommon to have new eggs laid before the previous chicks leave the nest. They are breeding machines.

If you are able to get her moved, put a door on the front of your outdoor shelf.

Oh - and I guarantee there is a male around somewhere watching your every move around that nest. Pigeons are monogamous and typically pair up with a partner for life.

haha, one set of eggs was expected, as that is what has occurred with every bird I've ever seen make a nest nearby. Cycles so quick I'm stick with an egg conveyor assembly line? well damn.

OUT OUT OUT

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
Let's not forget how smart pigeons are. The bird of royalty

The only reason they are looked at as flying rats is because we are dirty creatures who build enormous concrete jungles and then litter all day day every day

Most animals either fear or are feared, so they can't thrive in a human city. But the amazing pigeon can :)))

M

member 3289

Most animals either fear or are feared, so they can't thrive in a human city. But the amazing pigeon can :)))
Yeah I can think of at least one other animal that thrives in human environments *cough cough*, and unlike the winged rat this one can't fly.

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015

I didn't know about the year round breeding, thing. They make awesome bouncers as well once they get established somewhere. My Ma has two Collared Doves (basically the same thing as you know) in her garden and they keep the magpies right out of the place, it's nice because Magpies are horrible little shits, not really, but they do bully a place when they are allowed in.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
I didn't know about the year round breeding, thing. They make awesome bouncers as well once they get established somewhere. My Ma has two Collared Doves (basically the same thing as you know) in her garden and they keep the magpies right out of the place, it's nice because Magpies are horrible little shits, not really, but they do bully a place when they are allowed in.
whoa, they have cool coloring from an ariel view

Sweets

All Around Dumbass
Feb 9, 2015
whoa, they have cool coloring from an ariel view
T
They are equally as good from the ground, the thing about them is they are an invasive species, they hang in packs and eat small birds eggs. They will also happily bully cats which is a win considering cats are decimating small birds as well.

kaladin stormblessed

Nala fanboy
Apr 24, 2017
They are equally as good from the ground, the thing about them is they are an invasive species, they hang in packs and eat small birds eggs. They will also happily bully cats which is a win considering cats are decimating small birds as well.
Highlight of my day used to be a smoke outside port authority with the pigeons

Now i stay out of the concrete jungle. I had morning doves here that are probably cousins to pigeons. Cool birds. Friendly with the other birds (except for a roudy one every now and then). And trusting of me

I'm a fan of them invading my balcony while I read :)