Personal my best friend is dying of als.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

GO BIG RED!!!

last 100
Oct 17, 2015
has anyone dealt with this before? how should i prepare for this and what should i expect to see as we go forward. thanks for any suggestions.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
has anyone dealt with this before? how should i prepare for this and what should i expect to see as we go forward. thanks for any suggestions.
That's a terrifying illness. How far along are they?

For all terminal illnesses - Dont treat them with pity. Don't walk on egg shells. Acknowledge that you want to support but also that you can't fully understand when you say/do something you feel is dumb. Give them as much QUALITY time as you can. They might not need or want a big show. Might just want to hangout. Hang out and bring normalcy for a little while.

GO BIG RED!!!

last 100
Oct 17, 2015
hes about 6 mos in. we talk everyday. we have a great relationship. hes never spelled or read to good so i told him at least god gave him a disease he could spell and pronounce. they just moved across state to be closer to his kids and grandkids. im gonna drive out a couple times a month and stay for a few days. thanks for the replies

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
hes about 6 mos in. we talk everyday. we have a great relationship. hes never spelled or read to good so i told him at least god gave him a disease he could spell and pronounce. they just moved across state to be closer to his kids and grandkids. im gonna drive out a couple times a month and stay for a few days. thanks for the replies
He's gotta about 5 years usually but some have a slower or faster course. His body is gonna break down in a bad way. It's terrible.

You just going out there is probably the biggest thing you can do...for you both. You won't get that time back and neither will he. Youre a good dude.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
What you’re doing seems great. I personally cannot imagine what you and his friends and family feel.

We only have this one so do what you can with it.

Really sorry to hear OP

The best thing you can do is just be there for him and his family....Make the most of the time he has left.

Best of luck champ....You're a good egg.

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I had a grandfather, who I never met, die from ALS. He was 45 with 8 kids. I’m told it was horrible. My grandmother was never the same. Prayers for your friend and his family.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
That's a terrifying illness. How far along are they?

For all terminal illnesses - Dont treat them with pity. Don't walk on egg shells. Acknowledge that you want to support but also that you can't fully understand when you say/do something you feel is dumb. Give them as much QUALITY time as you can. They might not need or want a big show. Might just want to hangout. Hang out and bring normalcy for a little while.
Very much agree.
My father-in-law died of ALS last year.
It's a terrible disease.
Hang out. Be there.