My commute to work was pretty cool, so was the job - VID & PICS!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Just got back from 17 days away on this fire in the northern Slocan Valley, British Columbia. Had some fantastic heli flights through the mountains, and some cold nights camping on the mountainside. Good times for sure, but it's nice to be home and finally catching up with all you bastards! How's it going eh?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yTdT2BdRJM

Last edited:

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
There are no super dramatic into the inferno photos, as you have to be on the initial attack crew repelling out of the helicopter to get those, however, we did have one wind incident that caused a rank 5 fire to erupt right in front of us prompting an emergency evacuation to a safe zone down the mountain. That was fucking wild, but no pics.......my battery was dead on that day of all friggin days. Besides, guys were getting shit by the incident commander for even slowing down to look at it. You better believe I stopped to take it in............when the fuck am I going to see something like that again?

Anyhow, were're more of a mop up crew, coming in after the initial attack guys and hitting the flare ups and hot spots until the fire is completely contained and extinguished. Saw some beautiful spots this summer, and some surreal visuals as well. Best choice I have made in a long time, to go out and join these fuckers for the summer, get my ass in shape and have some fun!

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I saw these animal prints which we first thought were a bear, but they were too small and there was no sign of a mother's prints nearby...........but whatever it was ripped apart our camp on the night we were flown to town, and it tooth punctured four 5 gallon jerrycans causing all the pump fuel to leak into the creek and soil. some of the crew suspected it may have been a wolverine, but where the fuck are the claws? A cougar wouldn't chow through a thick plastic jerry full of gas, but a wolverine sure as hell would. Whatever it was, it was strong!

So I thought I could walk out onto the mud where the prints were.........

That shit was deep and soft.........another reason to believe it wasn't a bear, they would have sunk through like I did!

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Love all this! People like you keep our amazing province alive my man, appreciate you putting yourself out there for us. Great video and pictures sir! Oh and I remember I while ago you said you'd talk about your SN origin as it has a good story? Am I remembering right?

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Love all this! People like you keep our amazing province alive my man, appreciate you putting yourself out there for us. Great video and pictures sir! Oh and I remember I while ago you said you'd talk about your SN origin as it has a good story? Am I remembering right?
Thanks Bird. To be honest it was a little embarrassing getting all the thank yous when you come down into town with the dirty crew uniforms on, especially since it wasn't as dramatic as people may think, however, towards the end I started getting used to it and told my buddy that maybe I won't return my uniform at the end of the season.......just wear that fucker around all the time. I think I said that after some dude in the pub one night bought us a round of tequila!

As for the name story, I feel I may have allowed it to get over hyped now, lol! I will try to share that with you later this week as I am wiped out right now and I have a shitload of stuff to get busy with around the home, especially with the kids starting school tomorrow. Before i do though, I have another task I have to tackle on this forum as I have received an interesting private message from the son of Ken Goobie asking me to post a poem his father wrote in my 'epic prison yard fight' thread. This internet is a small world man, and this guy I've never met finding me through that thread on this forum and asking me to contribute something personal on his behalf.........well fuck, that's cool! I must go thread hop now, but I will explain my screen name soon. Have an awesome day brutha!

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
sgotwalks @sgotwalks here's one of many pics from my fire training days, absolutely awesome experience. I can imagine how you miss your buddies once the action is all wrapped up.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
You ever try out for the RAP team or whatever the helicopter crews called?

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
sgotwalks @sgotwalks here's one of many pics from my fire training days, absolutely awesome experience. I can imagine how you miss your buddies once the action is all wrapped up.

Very cool! Ya, the comradery among all involved out there in the bush is one of the compelling aspects of this sort of work for sure. The last day of a season is joyful, but there is a void left as you are packing up your shit and saying good-byes...........some of which you just know will likely be forever.

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You ever try out for the RAP team or whatever the helicopter crews called?
I never have, no. This was my first and possibly my only time doing this. I've worked out in the bush before but it had been 15 years since I was brushing. I just wanted to get out of the office this summer and whip my ass back into better shape, so I figured I would give it a whirl with this crew and do some saw work and fire fighting up in the hills. At 45 years old I don't think I would ever get on with a RAP team now.........in asking around the oldest guy someone had heard of on a RAP team was 43, but he had been doing it for many years and was in crazy good shape.

With that said, I have been hammering it home with y 14 year old son that this is a route he ought to strongly keep in mind for when he gets up to be around 18 or 19 years old, which is how old you have to be to get on the ministry's RAP teams. What an amazing job with some really good money in it for those students putting themselves through university!

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Just got back from 17 days away on this fire in the northern Slocan Valley, British Columbia. Had some fantastic heli flights through the mountains, and some cold nights camping on the mountainside. Good times for sure, but it's nice to be home and finally catching up with all you bastards! How's it going eh?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yTdT2BdRJM
So glad you're safe and appear to be thriving due to your adventure! I think we, all of us here, are proud of you.

Reading your posts when you first started on your adventure/challenge you were sore & tired at first. Doubtful that you'd made the right choice. A week or two later and you were starting to blossom. Now? Certified bush nigga :)

Thanks for sharing.

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
So glad you're safe and appear to be thriving due to your adventure! I think we, all of us here, are proud of you.

Reading your posts when you first started on your adventure/challenge you were sore & tired at first. Doubtful that you'd made the right choice. A week or two later and you were starting to blossom. Now? Certified bush nigga :)

Thanks for sharing.
Hey, thanks Mel! I had a blast, especially once we transitioned out of the sawing part of the season and kicked it into fire fighting mode. It was pretty awesome being up in the mountains, camping out with some really cool people, and some downright hilarious fucks..........whether they meant to be or not. Saw some stunning scenery and had some un-fucking-believable heli rides, some which were on nice clear days where you could see the mountains in their entirety, unlike the one I posted in the op. In the end it was a very good decision to go out and test myself for a summer, but now unfortunately, I am having to settle back into the office beginning tomorrow as my busy season is kicking into high gear!

Also, it's wonderful to be home with my family, even though I was only away in spurts, this last 17 day stretch was too long according to my little sweetheart (9 years old). My wife was totally cool with the whole thing, jealous that she wasn't able to do the same. My son was surprised that I actually went for it and stuck it out, considering how much of an extreme nighthawk I am he didn't think the early mornings would last more than a week.

School is back in session for the kids tomorrow, work is back to normal for me..............fuck, I guess summer is over! Oh well, till the next ridiculous idea surfaces I will embrace the status quo with open arms!

I totally appreciate your kind words and support of my journey. Had an absolute blast this summer!

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
" Best choice I have made in a long time, to go out and join these fuckers for the summer, get my ass in shape"- sgotwalks @sgotwalks

Speaking of, what them thighs looking like now Hoss?

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
" Best choice I have made in a long time, to go out and join these fuckers for the summer, get my ass in shape"- sgotwalks @sgotwalks

Speaking of, what them thighs looking like now Hoss?
Lol, you're a thigh girl, I've gathered that from some of your posts already. I feel like my thighs could never climb enough mountains to impress you! I picture you with superman..........no can compete! For that reason, no pics!!

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Lol, you're a thigh girl, I've gathered that from some of your posts already. I feel like my thighs could never climb enough mountains to impress you! I picture you with superman..........no can compete! For that reason, no pics!!
After reading about your little girl and son I wouldn't be able to get a full Perv on. I'd look, mind you. But maybe with just one eye open out of respect o_O

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I forgot to mention one fucked up thing that I saw while up on that mountain...........one of the other crews working on this fire had a gal from Australia who was tough as nails, and one day she walks away from our mustering point about 20 feet or so and starts fiddling with her pants while standing with her back to us and I was wondering WTF? Next thing I know, she is standing there pissing like a dude, now my head was really spinning. It turns out she was using a 'SheWee'. I've never heard of this contraption before, but apparently it looks like this............

It is truly one of those sights that burns itself into your mind when you see it for the first time!