My conditioning workout

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I have tried everything I can think of for cardio. Miles of hill sprints. Intense combination workouts, mixing the rower with medicine ball plyometrics or mixing sprints with push/pull workouts. I've competed in a triathlon (only a short one ;)). At one point I was running 13 miles twice a week. I've done spin classes, boot camp classes and circuit training and I've done all of these for extended periods (6 months+).

After reading Joel Jamieson's work, my understanding changed. The anaerobic systems have little room for improvement and working them leaves you mangled. I get enough anaerobic work from weight lifting and playing my sport. The real key to conditioning is aerobic training.

Arthur Lydiard was a New Zealand running coach who produced Olympic champions from a population the size of Wales. He studied Kenyan training and, altitude training aside, he had all of his distance runners, from 800m up, do marathon training of 100 miles per week to build their aerobic engine. To prepare for competition, he would have his athletes do some lower level races about 6 weeks out.

I can't run 100 miles per week. I'm not 6'4 at 140lbs and I am simply not built for that sort of distance. I get injuries from running more than 15 miles per week for extended periods. Fortunately, I am a mixed ability athlete (strength, conditioning and skill), so I do not have to match the training of an Olympic runner. However, as far as conditioning goes, Lydiard's mantra of "Miles Make Champions" is accurate.

The predominant goal of my non specific conditioning training is to build my aerobic engine and predominantly I am looking to increase the size of my left ventricle by stretching it. This will mean that each heart beat provides more blood and therefore more oxygen. To do this, my target heart range is 130-150bpm. Any lower and I'm not really working hard enough to stretch the chamber as much as I could; any higher and the ventricle is pumping blood out before it has fully expanded.

A metric for charting progress is resting heart rate. For me to be in shape for a 15 minute MMA match, I have my RHR ideally down in the low 40s. Mid 40s may be fine for someone else. This requires me to do around 2 hours of cardio a week. It may change for someone else but not by a huge amount.

I find running to be the easiest rpe (relative perceived effort) exercise to get my HR in the right zone but also the most taxing on my body. Cycling, rower, elliptical etc don't get my HR as high with the same effort but they do provide less injuries. However, the holy grail for me has been swimming. It does take longer to get your HR up but in my experience this is irrelevant. If I put in the same effort in the pool as I do on the pavement, I get equal results. 2 hours per week of swimming lengths at a leisurely pace gets my RHR down to 42. And it's virtually zero impact. I'm not beaten up the next day.

How has this worked for me and how does it apply to the real world? When I switched to aerobic training, I measured my power at threshold with a spin bike. For the next 6 months I started jogging at an easy 10 min/pace. I didn't touch the spin bike in that time. After 6 months, I retested my P@T and it had increased 40%. I don't know about you but that blew my mind. Watching my wattage not only break but destroy the 200 barrier was crazy. I could put out 40% more effort in my fights AND MAINTAIN IT. The same has happened for the fighters I train - cardio went through the roof.

So we've covered building the aerobic engine. But we all know that a good runner will gas hard in a fight. Why? They have the cardiac development to succeed but they do not have the efficiency. Their muscles are not trained for repeatedly pushing and pulling at higher intensities, they don't have the experience to be able to pace themselves and use the right techniques at the right time and they don't have the experience to avoid a panic response when someone is attacking them.

How do we cover those factors? By playing our sport. Mat time. Get the rounds in. Again, you do not need to go crazy but you DO need mat time. Martial arts are skill based and like any skill based sport (tennis, basketball, hockey, archery etc) you must practise a lot to develop those skills. Get your CNS, muscles and reflexes to adapt to the spcifics of your sport.

So in summary, work in the aerobic zone, using HR and RHR as metrics, and play your sport a lot. Neither is enough by itself. Well, 5 minute BJJ matches will probably be OK if you just put in a lot of mat time but certainly not MMA.

Like always, happy to answer qustions. Next I'll make a thread about programming.

Update: I've switched to cycling and by using the gears, I can get my HR in the right zone and I don't feel all bashed like I do with running and it is much more fun than laps of a pool.

Last edited:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I love this post. Thanks man! Let me digest it a little and I may have questions but this is very useful.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
No worries mate. I might do a fat loss thread, too.

This is me preparing for a BJJ comp at 39 years old. Note I am genetically lean though.

11164752_10153319320595407_34856291083905100_o.jpg

vermonter

May 15, 2015
As leigh knows, I agree on all points. Try things out for yourself in terms of modality though. I greatly prefer running to swimming myself, and it works well for me, but Leigh has come up with a metric and used trials to determine what works well for him.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Continuous 6 min matches paired with 4 sets of 250 Air Squats always done the trick in wrestling lol...Great thread OP

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Continuous 6 min matches paired with 4 sets of 250 Air Squats always done the trick in wrestling lol...Great thread OP
Yep, that will do it, good aerobic cardio and lots of wrestling

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Leigh : Damn. Now that have time since I'm at home with the kid being sick and all I'm going to ask you what I wanted to ask before but forgot...

How about programming then? The specifics.
About me : I'm asthmatic, 43, 6 ft ectomorph. On another sc forum ;) I read from you the importance of aerobic engine because gassing out was always a problem with my bjj competitions.
So... Got myself a coach, ran and ran. I can now run 10k with little prep and half-marathons with maybe 1 month training. My time won't be the best but I know that I can easily run those distances. I think I can now say that I've built myself a decent aerobic engine.
Now I'm lifting most of the time because I'd like to get stronger... Once I get some decent strength, how would you suggest I maintain everything and train bjj 2-3 times a week? I don't expect to be able to train for strength once I start training bjj so..

Maybe this is beyond the scope of this thread.. Feel free to make another one then. Also, how would you adapt the 8 weeks-out system to prepare for a bjj comp?

Again thanks for the info/input.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Leigh : Damn. Now that have time since I'm at home with the kid being sick and all I'm going to ask you what I wanted to ask before but forgot...

How about programming then? The specifics.
About me : I'm asthmatic, 43, 6 ft ectomorph. On another sc forum ;) I read from you the importance of aerobic engine because gassing out was always a problem with my bjj competitions.
So... Got myself a coach, ran and ran. I can now run 10k with little prep and half-marathons with maybe 1 month training. My time won't be the best but I know that I can easily run those distances. I think I can now say that I've built myself a decent aerobic engine.
Now I'm lifting most of the time because I'd like to get stronger... Once I get some decent strength, how would you suggest I maintain everything and train bjj 2-3 times a week? I don't expect to be able to train for strength once I start training bjj so..

Maybe this is beyond the scope of this thread.. Feel free to make another one then. Also, how would you adapt the 8 weeks-out system to prepare for a bjj comp?

Again thanks for the info/input.
That's a good question. Unfortunately it is highly unlikely that you'll be able to maintain your strength without lifting weights. However, you could lift as little as 30 mins once a week and not go to failure to maintain your strength. Strength training doesn't have to be intense but it does have to be done.

To maintain your cardio, you'll similarly need to put in some work, although not as much. Your BJJ will cover a portion of it. You could probably get away with cutting your cardio in half. One maintenance run a week, one easy lifting session and your BJJ.

I haven't read Joel's book for years, so I couldn't answer your question on adapting it to BJJ. He's always been helpful with me in the past and he'd give you a much better answer than me.

I do BJJ comps and I do some steady cardio and a lot of rolling to prepare. Get RHR somewhere in the mid 40s. It's worked for me :)

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Thx Leigh. For maintaining strength I could use the CAT method you described before. 60-70% of max with total reps in the hypertrophy range.
Cheers.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Hey Leigh

Your convict mate from Australia here, we had a discussion about eugenics once amongst other things. Galt says hi.

Out of interest what's your preferred calorie source when you're putting mass on?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Hey Leigh

Your convict mate from Australia here, we had a discussion about eugenics once amongst other things. Galt says hi.

Out of interest what's your preferred calorie source when you're putting mass on?
Hi mate

I don't often bulk, due to competing in weight classes. I really struggle to gain weight and when I need to, I eat the foods that I would cut out for a weight cut, namely processed carbs. Understand that trying to bulk isn't healthy - I knock back pizzas and ice creams. GOMAD works very well but it left me bloated and horny all the time LOL.

If you're looking for a more controlled, long term solution (or if you get fat), eat your normal diet but increase protein and your training volume. Any protein you prefer. Chicken is cheap. Beef tastes good. Shakes if you have to.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Cheers brother.

Not trying to bulk just getting ready for PL comps and want to stay the same weight or close.

I know its a simple calculation ie deficit /surplus blah

Roger that on the volume and protein.

Looking good at 39 man 2 years behind you but catching up fast!

Last edited by a moderator:

mko

Nov 19, 2015
Thanks for the info Leigh. I always enjoyed your posts on UG S&C ground.
As of now I'm training bjj 3-5 times a week and trying to get 100mins of CO in. As for strength, 4-5 sets of deadlift/press or bench/pullups once a week. Maybe a few sets of box jumps mixed in.

M

member 1013

Bro you need to bulk up. I'm probably the same height as you but I got an extra 300 pounds of pure mass.