General My grandmother just died, here's her stuffed artichoke recipe

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
Growing up an Italian boy from Long Island, I learned to cook from my grandmother. She just died after disappearing into Alzheimer's 5 years ago. She was 89 from Sicily and this was her stuffed artichoke recipe:

As with most Italian cooking, the most important aspect of the recipe is the quality of the ingredients. Fresh and local artichokes are best. Look for large, slightly open artichokes, not tight, closed ones.

Cut the top off and rinse under warm water spreading the leaves. Turn over to dry on a paper towel. Cut off the bottom so they can sit upright.

Make the bread cumb mixture (to taste):
  • Garlic
  • Parmesan
  • Breadcrumb
  • Salt, pepper, parsley
Place the artichoke in a bowl and pour the mixture on top, spreading the leaves like two juicy ass cheeks so it gets in between, using a spoon if necessary.

Sweat some garlic in the bottom of a large pot with olive oil. When it’s fragrant, place the artichokes in for 5 minutes, cover. When the sizzling starts, fill with water about halfway up the artichoke. Salt the water. Drizzle some olive oil over the artichokes and cover until it boils.

Reduce heat and steam for about 30 minutes.

When you can pull a leaf off easily, they’re done. Remove with mesh scoop. They will be extremely hot for about 10 minutes.

Make sure you carve out the heart when you finish the leaves, it's the best part.

--
RIP

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Sorry to hear, bro.
Lost mine a couple years ago. Sucks.

I will definitely try that recipe.

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Sorry to hear. RIP.

I've never cooked artichoke before. I'll use this recipe for my first attempt.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
sorry to hear about your grandmother R.I.P.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Sorry to hear, man. RIP to your grandmother, and thoughts to you and your family.

We had a similar situation a few years back with my grandma, Alzheimer’s is a sad one.

That recipe sounds great, thanks for sharing.

Super Dave

The party’s over
Dec 28, 2015
Sorry to hear. Alzheimer's is rough but 89 is a good run not that it makes it an easier.

RIP