General My idea to help fix the NFL refs

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
I am no NFL rules expert so maybe this exist already

But the head coaches are allowed to challenge certain plays. I am unsure what the exact parameters and limitations are but I would vote they allow to challenge any play on the field, as long as they have a challenge available.

So in the Saints game that would have the Saints to challenge that there was PI on the play. If reviewed then the call would have been changed.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yes
If you wanna get it right
Then get it right
No excuses

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
And when they run out of challenges and shit like this happens you will find something else to bitch about. Go watch a game from the 80s if you want to see how nonstop reviews changed the flow of the game. Add in the commercial breaks they have now and the games will easily be 5 hours long.

The Saints were still up by 3 and their D couldnt last 40 seconds. I would be more pissed about that than a non call.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
And when they run out of challenges and shit like this happens you will find something else to bitch about. Go watch a game from the 80s if you want to see how nonstop reviews changed the flow of the game. Add in the commercial breaks they have now and the games will easily be 5 hours long.

The Saints were still up by 3 and their D couldnt last 40 seconds. I would be more pissed about that than a non call.
Flow was ruined

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015

well, they have limited challenges and they decide how to use them. That is part of coaching

human errors happen, and that is unfortunately part of the game

they already have the ability to challenge certain plays, this just allows them to use their limited challenges to review any play

and if a team loses because of coaching errors or tired defense then it is on the team. if a team loses because a bad call or non-call then that is not on them. you would have to be one of the stupidest people on the internet to say those things are equal, right?

and most of your post has nothing to do with mine, you are complaining about other unrelated issues. i never said my idea would make the game perfect. there is one topic right now. complaining about tv timeouts or anything else is useless considering the topic at hand

and bitching about someones bitching kinda makes one a bitch, no?

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
well, they have limited challenges and they decide how to use them. That is part of coaching

human errors happen, and that is unfortunately part of the game

they already have the ability to challenge certain plays, this just allows them to use their limited challenges to review any play

and if a team loses because of coaching errors or tired defense then it is on the team. if a team loses because a bad call or non-call then that is not on them. you would have to be one of the stupidest people on the internet to say those things are equal, right?

and most of your post has nothing to do with mine, you are complaining about other unrelated issues. i never said my idea would make the game perfect. there is one topic right now. complaining about tv timeouts or anything else is useless considering the topic at hand

and bitching about someones bitching kinda makes one a bitch, no?
They dont have limited challenges if they continuously win those challenges. In which case you will have both coaches challenging every play because there is a penalty somewhere on every play.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
They dont have limited challenges if they continuously win those challenges. In which case you will have both coaches challenging every play because there is a penalty somewhere on every play.

gotcha

then give them just a limited number for this situation

even 1

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
Bet you guys cried when Hillary lost too. Get over it, Rams won.
I was rooting for the Rams. I am a UGA fan and wanted to see Gurley in the SB

I am no Saints fan.

I also voted for Trump

Sometimes it just makes sense to examine an issue or complaint to see if there is an improved way of doing things. Maybe my idea is not that way. But I do know hurling random insults is something one is more apt to see from a SJW than a logical thinking Conservative.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
gotcha

then give them just a limited number for this situation

even 1
And what happens when there are 2 bad calls? The losing side will still be complaining. Its like the College football playoff, as soon as it was announced as 4 teams people began complaining that they needed 8.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
And what happens when there are 2 bad calls? The losing side will still be complaining. Its like the College football playoff, as soon as it was announced as 4 teams people began complaining that they needed 8.
so instead of making any progress at all you would rather things remain as they always are? If the changes do not result in perfection you don't want any progress at all?

and I happen to think a 4 team playoff is great for CFB. it was an improvement over the BCS, which was an improvement over the prior poll system used.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
Either we should work towards progress, to getting things right or we should just let them play

Get rid of any reviews, challenges, etc. Whatever happens, happens.

Or work to improve the system. And if a change is made and it makes the system worse, then get rid of that change and try again.

Stagnation or growth. It really comes down to that.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Either we should work towards progress, to getting things right or we should just let them play

Get rid of any reviews, challenges, etc. Whatever happens, happens.

Or work to improve the system. And if a change is made and it makes the system worse, then get rid of that change and try again.

Stagnation or growth. It really comes down to that.
They have had the review process both ways and neither of them worked. This is the best system so far. Challenging penalties is a can of worms the network will never allow for two reasons. One, you are still talking about the game and 2, they cant have games any longer than they already have. The attention span of fans isnt what it use to be.

M

member 3289

I'm aware that the last 2 minutes of every half could potentially be very long bc officials review every play, and I'm ok with it.

Honestly the more calls they get right, the better imo.

Most NFL fans have nothing better to do anyway.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Good points made. The refs get it right most of the time, but I’d be pisssd if i were a saints fan. That was pretty blatant. That being said, i would rather see them tweak the overtime rule. Sucks that a coin toss wins the game when two offenses are hot.

Last edited:

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
They have had the review process both ways and neither of them worked. This is the best system so far. Challenging penalties is a can of worms the network will never allow for two reasons. One, you are still talking about the game and 2, they cant have games any longer than they already have. The attention span of fans isnt what it use to be.
I think it is a system
possibly the best system so far, but I am not sure of that
not the best system possible IMO

wasn't rooting for anyone...just don't like wacky calls and no calls winning games

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
I think it is a system
possibly the best system so far, but I am not sure that
not the best system possible IMO

wasn't rooting for anyone...just don't like wacky calls and no calls winning games
Why even have refs on the field then? Just call the games from a studio in New York. We can pause afrer every play to get the spot right. My point is where does it end once you go down that rabbit hole.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Why even have refs on the field then? Just call the games from a studio in New York. We can pause afrer every play to get the spot right. My point is where does it end once you go down that rabbit hole.
I agree with most of what you posted
I preferred no replay and on field call stands

Centralized replay has and does lead to corruption and Bias, not a fan of that

I do have a problem with the Unchallengable and challengeable aspect...that is some BS

definitely a rabbit hole or sticky situation to find the "best" way to address it...All I can say for sure is NFL looks like shit quite often because the Refs are very inconsistent with when and why they choose to enforce Rules that are entirely open to interpretation

It is kinda pro wrestling with cleats at times

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
I agree with most of what you posted
I preferred no replay and on field call stands

Centralized replay has and does lead to corruption and Bias, not a fan of that

I do have a problem with the Unchallengable and challengeable aspect...that is some BS

definitely a rabbit hole or sticky situation to find the "best" way to address it...All I can say for sure is NFL looks like shit quite often because the Refs are very inconsistent with when and why they choose to enforce Rules that are entirely open to interpretation

It is kinda pro wrestling with cleats at times
Say what you want about the refs but they are the best. Remember the shitshow a few years ago when they were on strike.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Say what you want about the refs but they are the best. Remember the shitshow a few years ago when they were on strike.
it got pretty bad, yes

Don't like how they are attempting to let them play all game long in playoffs...and then they bring out flags late in games to help offenses extend drives(except the Saints play)

Wish they called it the same way all season long regardless of down and distance, or completion or no completion.

They are doing there best for sure...just don't like the rules favoring offense so heavily(just my personal preference), but it is the fantasy football era of NFL so I get it

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
well, well, well. Look what article I just came across

Report: NFL might consider allowing reviews of pass interference after Saints fiasco

“When you have two challenges, I don’t see anything wrong with the concept of, ‘You can challenge any two plays you want,’” Belichick said in 2013, according to the Sporting News. “I understand that judgment calls are judgment calls, but to say that an important play can’t be reviewed, I don’t think that’s really in the spirit of trying to get everything right and making sure the most important plays are officiated properly.”

Belichick is one of the smartest people in the NFL, and it might take more than five years for the league to listen to one of his best ideas.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
well, well, well. Look what article I just came across

Report: NFL might consider allowing reviews of pass interference after Saints fiasco

“When you have two challenges, I don’t see anything wrong with the concept of, ‘You can challenge any two plays you want,’” Belichick said in 2013, according to the Sporting News. “I understand that judgment calls are judgment calls, but to say that an important play can’t be reviewed, I don’t think that’s really in the spirit of trying to get everything right and making sure the most important plays are officiated properly.”

Belichick is one of the smartest people in the NFL, and it might take more than five years for the league to listen to one of his best ideas.
Might Consider. Lmfao you came to gloat to me about might consider?

Come back when you have something more than "might consider" from unnamed sources.

Not to mention the story and the source come from the WAPO. They have a stellar record lately from their sources

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Might Consider. Lmfao you came to gloat to me about might consider?

Come back when you have something more than "might consider" from unnamed sources.
who says he is gloating?
I think he is just discussing NFL rules and officiating

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Well we'll well look what article I just came across after quoting me. Looks like a gloat to me.
fair enough
you did call him a serial complainer in your response to his opening post, not that I don't agree with that post's premise
I don't even know the exact definition of gloat

I like OP discussing this subject...timing is right and IMO it has room for improvement