General My idea to help fix the NFL refs

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
Might Consider. Lmfao you came to gloat to me about might consider?

Come back when you have something more than "might consider" from unnamed sources.

Not to mention the story and the source come from the WAPO. They have a stellar record lately from their sources

Well, the most important part of the story was the part I very nicely copy/pasted for you. That is a direct quote from the greatest coach in the history of the NFL from 6 years ago saying what I suggested in this thread is a good idea and a step forward. The idea you think is terrible. That was the reason for the link.

Your focus on the "might consider" and the source of that is you, again, focusing on the wrong thing

The topic of the thread, the quote I copy/pasted for you, is whether or not coaches should be able to challenge the type of call that happened in the NFC CG yesterday.

It is not gloating as much as bringing that to your attention. If you stayed on topic you might see that.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
fair enough
you did call him a serial complainer in your response to his opening post, not that I don't agree with that post's premise
I don't even know the exact definition of gloat

I like OP discussing this subject...timing is right and IMO it has room for improvement
I just said he will find something else to bitch about, thats basic human nature.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Well, the most important part of the story was the part I very nicely copy/pasted for you. That is a direct quote from the greatest coach in the history of the NFL from 6 years ago saying what I suggested in this thread is a good idea and a step forward. The idea you think is terrible. That was the reason for the link.

Your focus on the "might consider" and the source of that is you, again, focusing on the wrong thing

The topic of the thread, the quote I copy/pasted for you, is whether or not coaches should be able to challenge the type of call that happened in the NFC CG yesterday.

It is not gloating as much as bringing that to your attention. If you stayed on topic you might see that.
You posted a 6 year old quote and a link to a story from WAPO with unnamed sources. Hardly pulitzer worthy

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I just said he will find something else to bitch about, thats basic human nature.
I see
you were referring to the species as a whole...fair enough

My NFL fan existence is basically based on that concept lol

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
I see
you were referring to the species as a whole...fair enough

My NFL fan existence is basically based on that concept lol
Correct I didnt mean him personally and I posted examples where football fans got what they wanted and it wasnt good enough.

TFK_Fanboy

First 200ish
Feb 9, 2015
You posted a 6 year old quote and a link to a story from WAPO with unnamed sources. Hardly pulitzer worthy
Did someone suggest a Pulitzer prize?

Again, the point of posting the article was NOT for the potential rule change. You might not be aware of this but no thread on the internet is going to result in a NFL rule change. But it is an avenue for fans to discuss such things. And the article has a direct quote from someone who might just know what they are talking about on this topic.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I think the article is good to bring up TFK_Fanboy @TFK_Fanboy
Sean Payton is on the Rules Committee
Bill Belichic is also going to have input

This is likely to be discussed and implemented in some aspect next season IMO

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
sports are about entertainment, not about finding out who's best at moving a ball around in some stipulated manner.

we forgive a certain amount of fallibility in the enforcement of rules because it doesn't detract from the experience as much as infallibility.
I can maybe see things that are completely objective, like helmet-to-helmet, being reviewable in certain situations, but only as initiated by 'the booth' (AKA the best interests of the league), maybe only in the last 2 min of a game.

But I feel like even that takes away from the pace and the drama of the contest. And that's what I'm tuning in to experience, not for the knowledge of how the game turns out if Roger Goodell isn't bestest buddies with one of the owners in the largest market.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
FWIW - blaming the refs is always bullshit.
Why isn't anyone calling out Sean Peyton for throwing the ball on 1st down and stopping the clock?

Saints got out-coached, not out-reffed.

M

member 3289

Correct I didnt mean him personally and I posted examples where football fans got what they wanted and it wasnt good enough.
I'm gonna complain about every rule or lack of rule that prevents the Dolphins from winning the Super Bowl.

I've got a long list....

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
FWIW - blaming the refs is always bullshit.
Why isn't anyone calling out Sean Peyton for throwing the ball on 1st down and stopping the clock?

Saints got out-coached, not out-reffed.
That was Brees seeing 9 in the box from the Rams and calling the pass at the line. It was a high percentage pass that Brees makes 99% of the time, but he muffed it.

Thuglife13

✝👦🍕🍦🍩
Dec 15, 2018
Friendly reminder the Ram's coach Sean McVay is winning at life and pounding every night when he goes home...

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
That was Brees seeing 9 in the box from the Rams and calling the pass at the line. It was a high percentage pass that Brees makes 99% of the time, but he muffed it.
the reason there were 9 in the box is because running the ball, even for -5 yards, was the right thing to do in that situation.
Sean Peyton should have coached Drew Brees better in game/clock management

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
the reason there were 9 in the box is because running the ball, even for -5 yards, was the right thing to do in that situation.
Sean Peyton should have coached Drew Brees better in game/clock management
The reason there were 9 down was specifically for the run. This would leave Thomas open on the quick slant. It’s an audible he calls often in that situation and it works 99/100 times. This time he happens to throw off balance and into the turf and people say he has no idea how to run the offense from the line. Any other time he connects and people talk about how genius he is for reading the defense.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
The reason there were 9 down was specifically for the run. This would leave Thomas open on the quick slant. It’s an audible he calls often in that situation and it works 99/100 times. This time he happens to throw off balance and into the turf and people say he has no idea how to run the offense from the line. Any other time he connects and people talk about how genius he is for reading the defense.
the reason 9 guys were stacked up against the run was because the only intelligent thing to do in that situation was run the ball.
The risk of throwing it is an incompletion or interception, both of which give the opposing team control of the game. The risk of running the ball is a loss of two yards. Drew made the wrong audible. Drew cost the Saints the game.

Sometimes doing exactly what the opposition expects is exactly what you should do.

the Saints defense gave up a 1-minute scoring drive to a team with one timeout (a timeout they wouldn't have had if Drew hadn't audibled a pass)
Drew threw an interception at mid-field in OT.

But it's the refs missing that one PINT call that cost the Saints the game...not Drew Brees

M

member 3289

b00ts @b00ts at least you've won a Super Bowl in the last 10 years

I can imagine that doesn't make you feel a whole lot better, but maybe this stings less than it would if you hadn't won it in a while.

Still, I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that if the refs had gotten that call right, the Saints would be going to the Super Bowl.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

I can imagine that doesn't make you feel a whole lot better, but maybe this stings less than it would if you hadn't won it in a while.

Still, I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that if the refs had gotten that call right, the Saints would be going to the Super Bowl.
if Drew Brees got the audible call right, or if the Saints defense was capable of slowing down the Rams even a little bit, the Saints would be going to the SuperBowl. Didn't the refs whiff a call at the other end that took points off the board for the Rams?

EDIT:
refs missed a facemask on Goff that would have given the Rams 1st & Goal (they got a FG instead)
refs missed a facemask on Brandin Cooks (TG3 scored on the next play)
refs missed a Delay of Game in the 3rd that resulted in a Saints TD

Last edited:

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
if Drew Brees got the audible call right, or if the Saints defense was capable of slowing down the Rams even a little bit, the Saints would be going to the SuperBowl. Didn't the refs whiff a call at the other end that took points off the board for the Rams?

EDIT:
refs missed a facemask on Goff that would have given the Rams 1st & Goal (they got a FG instead)
refs missed a facemask on Brandin Cooks (TG3 scored on the next play)
refs missed a Delay of Game in the 3rd that resulted in a Saints TD
People keep bringing up the face mask while forgetting that the NFL has altered what is actually a face mask.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
People keep bringing up the face mask while forgetting that the NFL has altered what is actually a face mask.
it turned the head and aided in the tackle.

That's a penalty.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015

I got to see what the Saints were when I was a kid and watch them become what they are today, so it stings a bit more knowing they’re better than what they showed on Sunday. I honestly think Payton is holding us back right now, even though he IS the best HC NO has ever had.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
so he agrees that it could have been called, but is OK with it not being called.
how about that Delay of Game that didn't get called? how long does it take an official to look down at his watch and throw a flag?

but to recap, it's OK when the Saints "get away with one".

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
so he agrees that it could have been called, but is OK with it not being called.
how about that Delay of Game that didn't get called? how long does it take an official to look down at his watch and throw a flag?

but to recap, it's OK when the Saints "get away with one".
What we see on TV and what’s on the field clock is usually off. Also, it’s not ok when the Saints get away with one. I was calling the late hits on Farve for the 2009 NFCCG, even though no one else at the party was agreeing with me. I’m a football fan. Just because I’m from the area doesn’t mean I think the Saints can do no wrong.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
What we see on TV and what’s on the field clock is usually off. Also, it’s not ok when the Saints get away with one. I was calling the late hits on Farve for the 2009 NFCCG, even though no one else at the party was agreeing with me. I’m a football fan. Just because I’m from the area doesn’t mean I think the Saints can do no wrong.
the play clock on the field in the stadium is synched to the clock on your TV, but neither is the game clock. That's held by the Referee, who is supposed to look down at his game clock when he sees the play clock on the field/TV has expired. If he looks down and sees a 0, he throws the flag.

If not, he looks back to the field clock and repeats the process until his game clock shows 0 or the ball is snapped.

But that was a really long time after the field clock went to 0.

:cheers: