My Liefeld story

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
This story is dedicated to my old pal Stickgrappler.

Several years ago when the comics landscape was looking grim and lawsuits seemed to be flying everywhere, an article came out about a publisher looking to rebuild his line after various betrayals.

Email was a relatively new thing back then so people were posting their addresses like it didn't mean anything. The publisher in question did so. I dropped him a line inquiring about opportunities about the then fledgling Maximum Press and he said "keep me in mind. I'm always om the lookout for new talent."

I shuddered when I received that email and never replied.

The publisher's name? Robert Liefeld.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015

Several years ago when the comics landscape was looking grim and lawsuits seemed to be flying everywhere, an article came out about a publisher looking to rebuild his line after various betrayals.

Email was a relatively new thing back then so people were posting their addresses like it didn't mean anything. The publisher in question did so. I dropped him a line inquiring about opportunities about the then fledgling Maximum Press and he said "keep me in mind. I'm always om the lookout for new talent."

My company did bUsiness with the Shamuses who owned Wizard and I met Rob lots of times!!

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015

Very cool story bro!

But, but, ...

You had a chance to be in a publisher and could've produce quality stuff and perhaps exert your influence and may have been able to teach him and the rest of Maximum Press a thing or two!

But, but, ...

You were a coward! Selfish! Didn't think of the fans ... with great power comes great responsibility! You were in ! You could've made a difference!

We need a Quantum Leap here!

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Because it was Rob Liefeld.

And he was in court at the time for nonpayment of several creators.

P

Punch

When i was younger i didn't understand how bad much of rob liefeld's work really was. I have since corrected that mistake.

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
When i was younger i didn't understand how bad much of rob liefeld's work really was. I have since corrected that mistake.
heh, some of the new members coming over from elsewhere know i like Rob Liefeld's art! granted not all of it, but he has his moments and many do not have the courage to admit some of his art is ok and harp on his pic of Cap Moobs and use that as a blanket representation of his bad art.

lol at me

P

Punch

heh, some of the new members coming over from elsewhere know i like Rob Liefeld's art! granted not all of it, but he has his moments and many do not have the courage to admit some of his art is ok and harp on his pic of Cap Moobs and use that as a blanket representation of his bad art.

lol at me
The cap moobs was pretty bad. I've gone to websites ran by artists where they decimate some of his work. They're not shitting on him as a person, just the art.

I admit i thought many of his books were the bee's knees at the time, but once the technical points were shown to me i had a change of heart.

Some of his stuff is still good though, but fuck man... POUCHES, MOAR POUCHES!

Stickgrappler

Apr 17, 2015
To his credit, he co-created 2 popular marvel characters - Cable and Deadpool

Speaking of Deadpool, I've gone on record elsewhere, and will say it here, i hate his character names, all generic based off of 80's and 90's culture/environment - Cable from cable tv, Deadpool from 1988 Eastwood movie, Dead Pool, GW Bridge (George Washington Bridge - bridge that connects NY to NJ), Lethal - from Gibson/Glover Lethal Weapon, etc.

B17

Mar 15, 2015
Growing up Liefeld was my favorite artist. Didn't read comics for 20 years and came back to it learning everyone hates him. I didn't get it.

Looking back he has had some weird stuff, some bad.

But I prefer him to some people who draw like cookie cutter art students.

B17

Mar 15, 2015
Jim Lee > Rob L. all day everyday
Yeah there are like 100 people better. But it also comes down to preference and style.

My favorite of all time is Erik Larsen. Many feel he is sloppy and cartoony but I love it.

P

Punch

Yeah there are like 100 people better. But it also comes down to preference and style.

My favorite of all time is Erik Larsen. Many feel he is sloppy and cartoony but I love it.
Nice pick. Erik is a very dynamic artitst.