My Motorized Bicycle

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

redneck

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I've been an avid car driver for longer than I care to recall, and i've always had a pet hatred for cyclists who use the highways, slowing down lanes of traffic and generally getting in the way, i never thought that I would ever be riding one again.

Recently, due to my lead foot, I was booked for doing 17 mph over the speed limit, which in my state of Australia gets you a mandatory licence suspension for 30 days. This meant that I was forced to look at alternate forms of transport and i'm not a big fan of public transport. I looked at my options in motorized bikes because they are legal to ride here without a licence as long as they make no more than 200 watts of power. At first, I was looking at electric battery powered ones but they had short range and long charge times, plus the batteries are mega bucks if you need to replace one. Something like this would have cost me about $1200.

So then I looked into gasoline powered options and I found a guy who made a 2 stoke engine that was restricted to 200 watts, which made it legal. He sold me the engine kit for $290.

Off to K-Mart for a $90 mountain bike.

A few hours in the garage and wallah, motorized bike for under $400!

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I openly hate most cyclists, and I say that as someone who bikes a lot. They don't stay in the bike lane, and rarely obey stop signs and traffic lights. Some of the hardcores also have this tendency to kick cars if they get honked at because "It's our road too" All this without paying insurance of having any sort of licensing. All the benefits of being a car, none of the responsibilities. Fuck cyclists.

You did well on that engine/bike setup though.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
In the UK, the limit is 250W. I bought my sons some 250W minibikes (posted videos here before) and my wife and I tear around on them. Speed is decent (~13-15mph), battery is good for at least a couple of miles and charging time isn't too bad.

You can also do a like-for-like motor replacement with a 350W motor and just change the labels over.