My pics from WEF 9 (May 13, 2000)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
By request from a thread over on OT ( MMAHAWK @Read some bell hooks), here are some of my pics from WEF 9, which was an event in Evansville, Indiana on May 13, 2000.

First things first. Here's the card:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Some of you might remember these from another website, so I apologize for old news if that's the case...
And the quality isn't awesome. These were taken with regular film and I scanned them from the printed copies.

I was a HUGE Carlos Newton fan and he was the main reason I wanted to go to this fight so I'll start with him.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Mark Coleman & Mark Kerr having a chat ringside

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Rich Franklin. About 3 years before he made his UFC debut and 5 years before he defeated Evan Tanner to win the UFC Middleweight Championship

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Matt Hughes. About 1-1/2 years before he became the UFC Welterweight Champ in the classic double KO bout vs Carlos Newton.

That's Alexandre Barros that he beat. Barros is still an active fighter - fights mostly in Brazil events.

This is him between rounds with his brother Mark

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Severn right after his victory. He was fired up. I don't think he thought he was going to win over Silveira.

I swear he posed for me in this pic. Looked right at me.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Pele was robbed!
That was a great fight. We were sitting by Menne's crew so we were pulling for Dave. At the time I was happy with the victory, but on the drive home me and my buds were talking about it and the general consensus was "I don't know man. I think Pele might have got homered in that one"

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I yelled "Yo Kev!" and he went right into his fighter pose.

Chatted with him for a little bit between fights. Super cool dude. He was there to watch one of his Hammer House guys fight (Brandon Lee Hinkle).

RIP

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Jens Pulver about a year before he became the UFC Lightweight Champ.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
That's it for now. I have more if there is interest.

I know they aren't the best quality - but I think it's cool to look back at an old event with a bunch of fighters who eventually made their mark on the sport. But I might be biased because I was there. :D

Last edited:

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
My friend Gary Myers was head kicked by ol Rich...That was a good card other than that lol

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
Severn right after his victory. He was fired up. I don't think he thought he was going to win over Silveira.

I swear he posed for me in this pic. Looked right at me.
These are great
Severn releasing the Beast

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Yet another legendary status thread about attendances of MMA events.

Wonderful thread, will be coming back to read again.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
I was in High School when this event went down.

Threads like these serve as a reminder of just how many people on TMMAC are card carrying members of AARP

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Yup..he's the one that founded my team WolfPack!
Very cool. The thing I remember about that fight was they announced Rich and he was from Cincinnati (my home town) so obviously I decided to cheer him on (I had never heard of him before as he was only 3-0 at the time). Then Gary is over there before the fight like a caged dog, rocking back and forth, doing these fake wrestling shoots. He was a ball of coiled up energy. I was nervous for Rich. Haha.

About 6 months later I bumped into Rich at an amateur event he was competing in and I asked him about Gary's pre-fight ritual. He just laughed and said "Ha. He always does that."

Then I asked him "How are you competing in this event if it's for amateurs?" He just smiled at me, raised a corrective finger and said "amateur boxing" and laughed.

It was a meanest man competition with local dudes and oversized gloves. He positively pummeled the first 2 guys he fought (it was a tournament), and for the final he had to face one of his teammates so they basically just sparred. It was judged a draw.

The local do-gooders shut that annual event down shortly after that. Shame - it was a lot of fun. They even had a lingerie show before the finals to keep you entertained. :D

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Very cool. The thing I remember about that fight was they announced Rich and he was from Cincinnati (my home town) so obviously I decided to cheer him on (I had never heard of him before as he was only 3-0 at the time). Then Gary is over there before the fight like a caged dog, rocking back and forth, doing these fake wrestling shoots. He was a ball of coiled up energy. I was nervous for Rich. Haha.

About 6 months later I bumped into Rich at an amateur event he was competing in and I asked him about Gary's pre-fight ritual. He just laughed and said "Ha. He always does that."

Then I asked him "How are you competing in this event if it's for amateurs?" He just smiled at me, raised a corrective finger and said "amateur boxing" and laughed.

It was a meanest man competition with local dudes and oversized gloves. He positively pummeled the first 2 guys he fought (it was a tournament), and for the final he had to face one of his teammates so they basically just sparred. It was judged a draw.

The local do-gooders shut that annual event down shortly after that. Shame - it was a lot of fun. They even had a lingerie show before the finals to keep you entertained. :D
Hell yea! Rich is a very good guy...I actually was paid by a mutual buddy of Rich and I by the name of Billy ayash R.i.p. to the punisher Ayash btw, to pick up a set of Drums Billy bought from SlipKnot and was storing in riches Basement..Billy was former KOTC champion and good friends with Rich from years he trained with him in Cincinnati with Rich and Gurgel, before Billy came to live in muncie and train with wolf pack...I knew billy for over a year before I even knew his family was very wealthy through owning Millions of acres they lease for mining in West Va..Billy never acted better than the rest of us poor fighters that all lived and trained together in a fighter house...Any ways fast forward few years after meeting billy..he is married and settled down in a very nice home and has got his inherentance after his mother passed of cancer..

My best Trent friend actually ended up working for Billy..Trent is a monster @400 pounds 6'4 and ran a 5second 40 played Arena League football...a mammoth of a man lol He calls me us and asks if I wanna go with him to pick up the drums Billy bought from Slipknot and make 400 bucks? I said fk yes I do...Then he threw in the kicker, they're at The Rich Franklin's house..So we drive from new Castle, Indiana to Cincy and get to Richs house..mind you this isn't the same house from the ufc shoes he toured while still married..this is a VERY modest single story 2 bedroom..I walk in and there's a fighters prayer with a sweet ass mural of Rich in a prayer pose after a win he says was painted by his good friend...I shit you not the dude takes us Down stairs and he's working on his own plumbing chatting away about how badass this drum set is Billy paid over 26k for Lol...

It was coolest 400 bucks ive ever made and glad I knew Billy..Got to see a LOT of cool shit cuz of how generous he was to his fighter family...Including the Viper he told Matt jaggers he would give him if he beat the Korean Zombie...Then when matt lost valiantly he instead sponsored matt with $500 a week for atleast 4 years that i know of to chase his dream..I can't even begin to tell you guys some of the craziest and fun shit that I experienced with Billy Ayash..dude was an enigma and lived faster than anybody you can imagine..I put my hand to my brothers ashes I'm not exaggerating one once when I tell you guys these stories...I could go on for hours about funny and interesting Billy stories..dude was 1 of a kind and I'm still bummed he's gone..he was Too wild to live to be old:(

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Hell yea! Rich is a very good guy...I actually was paid by a mutual buddy of Rich and I by the name of Billy ayash R.i.p. to the punisher Ayash btw, to pick up a set of Drums Billy bought from SlipKnot and was storing in riches Basement..Billy was former KOTC champion and good friends with Rich from years he trained with him in Cincinnati with Rich and Gurgel, before Billy came to live in muncie and train with wolf pack...I knew billy for over a year before I even knew his family was very wealthy through owning Millions of acres they lease for mining in West Va..Billy never acted better than the rest of us poor fighters that all lived and trained together in a fighter house...Any ways fast forward few years after meeting billy..he is married and settled down in a very nice home and has got his inherentance after his mother passed of cancer..

My best Trent friend actually ended up working for Billy..Trent is a monster @400 pounds 6'4 and ran a 5second 40 played Arena League football...a mammoth of a man lol He calls me us and asks if I wanna go with him to pick up the drums Billy bought from Slipknot and make 400 bucks? I said fk yes I do...Then he threw in the kicker, they're at The Rich Franklin's house..So we drive from new Castle, Indiana to Cincy and get to Richs house..mind you this isn't the same house from the ufc shoes he toured while still married..this is a VERY modest single story 2 bedroom..I walk in and there's a fighters prayer with a sweet ass mural of Rich in a prayer pose after a win he says was painted by his good friend...I shit you not the dude takes us Down stairs and he's working on his own plumbing chatting away about how badass this drum set is Billy paid over 26k for Lol...

It was coolest 400 bucks ive ever made and glad I knew Billy..Got to see a LOT of cool shit cuz of how generous he was to his fighter family...Including the Viper he told Matt jaggers he would give him if he beat the Korean Zombie...Then when matt lost valiantly he instead sponsored matt with $500 a week for atleast 4 years that i know of to chase his dream..I can't even begin to tell you guys some of the craziest and fun shit that I experienced with Billy Ayash..dude was an enigma and lived faster than anybody you can imagine..I put my hand to my brothers ashes I'm not exaggerating one once when I tell you guys these stories...I could go on for hours about funny and interesting Billy stories..dude was 1 of a kind and I'm still bummed he's gone..he was Too wild to live to be old:(
Cool story about Rich. Not surprising to hear he was working on his own plumbing. He was west side. That's how we roll.

Sorry to hear about your buddy. Sounds like a great dude.