My pics from WEF 9 (May 13, 2000)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Din Thomas - About 2.5 years before he fought Caol Uno at UFC 39 in the UFC Lightweight Championship tournament semifinal, which they set up because Jens Pulver vacated his belt (contract dispute). Thomas lost to Uno, so Uno fought BJ Penn in the final for the belt - but they fought to a draw. So they both won. Or nobody won. They were both champs. Or neither were champs. So the UFC decides "You know what? Fuck this division."

That was in 2003. They didn't have a champ again until 2007 when Sean Sherk won the belt - then promptly tested positive for steroids. Haha.

The UFC Lightweight Division was such a clusterfuck back then.

Anyway...This is Din:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Another one of Dave Menne - Former Hook-n-Shoot Champ, and the first ever UFC Middleweight Champ.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
So we're walking into this event and there is a news crew outside the venue. This super hot chick with a microphone picks me out and asks me if I have time for a few questions. Being the nice guy that I am I oblige, so they stick a camera in my face and she asks me a few normal questions. Where are you from? How long have you been following the sport? Shit like that.

Then she says (I'm paraphrasing a bit) "What do you say to the people who think this sport is nothing but a barbaric throwback to Roman gladiator days where people fought to the death?" I said "I think those people are idiots and they should educate themselves on the sport." She quickly responded with "You don't think this sport is violent?" I saw where it was going so I just said "You have a splendid night" and walked away.

I doubt I made the news in Evansville that night. Haha.

As mainstream as this sport is now, it's hard to believe how much negativity surrounded it back in the day.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
a bump to remind me to add to this when I have time.

I have more...

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Selfish bump to remind me to find the rest of the pics from this event - and others from way back when.