My "strength" workout

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Also known as Leigh's Awesome Workout ;)

Strength is a factor of 2 components: muscle cross sectional area and a neural pathway. The neural component crossover to specific movements is very small, to be virtually negligible outside of beginners (credit Vermonter).

So when I lift, the only things I'm interested in are hypertrophy and not impeding my sports training (MMA).

The best protocol I have found for this is CAT (Google Sam Byrd). By accelerating the bar, I can increase the weight (not the mass) of the bar to my 1rm, even with submaximal loads.
  • Some kind of benchpress
  • Some kind of row/pull
  • Some kind of over head press
  • Some kind of squat (I do single leg squats to reduce lumbar loading)
  • Some kind of deadlift
All of these are done 5x5 with 60% 1rm, split however you like over the week. These numbers are taken from Prilepin's Table. Prilepin did a study of successful Soviet weightlifting athletes and used the data to create a table of optimal lifting ranges.

When the weight starts flying out of my hands, I increase it. I go slow on the eccentric (down) phase of the lift and accelerate the bar as fast as possible during the concentric (up) phase. The result is that rather than doing a set of 5 that pushes my muscles at (eg) 80%, 85%, 90%, 95% and 100%, every rep taxes me at 100%.

However, the load is still very light and I don't get worn out for my sports training and the risk of injury is low.

So how has this worked out for me? Well, I used to be decently strong at powerlifting, exceeding triple bodyweight squat and deadlift and double bodyweight bench. I've always been mat strong. I've been doing this workout for 2 years and if anything, I feel stronger on the mat. I attribute this to the fact that I'm still as muscular but I have more energy and enthusiasm to work my skill training. IE my muscle cross sectional area has remained the same and my neurological input has increased. Anyone who's trained or competed with me will tell you I'm very strong. And the fighters I train are also strong.

Because I compete in a weight class sport, I am not looking to increase my mass, as I'm already lean at the top of my weight class. If I wanted to increase my muscle mass, I would increase my protein intake and maybe increase the frequency of workouts whilst still ensuring adequate recovery.

Worth noting that this may reduce your maximum lift numbers. This is down to the fact that you aren't practising the skill of heavy bench pressing etc - you will still be as strong or stronger in nonspecific movements. If, for some reason, you want to keep your gym numbers high, do a couple of high weight reps once in a while. If you're a powerlifter, well you need to practise your sport and that includes heavy lifting.

Sorry for the FRAT, hope it's useful. Happy to answer any questions if I haven't covered something.

--------------------

Update:

As I posted in another thread, I've been doing bodyweight exercises for the past few months.
  • Some kind of benchpress - dips
  • Some kind of row/pull - pull/chin ups
  • Some kind of over head press - hand stand pushups (against a wall)
  • Some kind of squat - Bulgarian split squats
  • Some kind of deadlift - the trickiest to replicate. I do back levers and try to get a static hold (I can't yet)
I've noticed a number of things.
1) No lumbar loading. My injured back feels great.
2) No loss of muscle or mat strength. I actually built my muscle back after time off with an injury.
3) It's fun! And free!

I'll never lift heavy again and I may never lift weights again.

Last edited:

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Sorry for the FRAT, hope it's useful. Happy to answer any questions if I haven't covered something.
One of the best thing about our members is the passion for the things they start threads on. Thank you for continuing this tend of quality over quantity. I wouldn't ever apologize for such helpful details.

vermonter

May 15, 2015
Looks great Leigh. Any reason for no vertical pull? (Or two presses and one pull?)

I think I'd include a day for therapeutic moves as well, but, add in your cardio (which is another thread I see) and this looks perfect to me.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Regarding pull, when I say, row/pull, I mean either a row or a vertical pull. The reason I don't think both movements are mandatory is because there is a lot of overlap - most pulling movements involve bringing your elbows to your ribs by using your lats. Sure there are differences but when you include deadlifts, it's negligible.

I actually maintained most of my pulling strength by only doing clean and press for a year.

vermonter

May 15, 2015
I've sort of accidentally been doing something similar. I haven't been using CAT per se, but I've been going after the lighter weights because it just feels nicer... basically on the bench especially I love accelerating the bar, but probably CAT proper is a specific and intense acceleration I would think... at least that's what they do in Westside on a dynamic day. That part I'm not interested in. I just through a little weight on the bar and crank out the reps, although I've been hitting 12 - 20 reps instead of 5. Love how it feels. I think I'm actually getting bigger too.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
This might be a silly question but does a hack squat count as a squat or a deadlift?

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
No serious question, because surely it uses the same pull as a dead but from behind? Unless I've been doing them wrong in the past. (Seriously not a wey hey)

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
It's basically a leg press and in my experience, it pales in comparison to an unsupported squat. Most hack squats have shoulder pads, which eliminates the question of whether it's a deadlift.

The only time I would use a machine is if I was injured and need to protect my injury by working around it.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
Oh now I get why you thought I was not being serious, I've only ever done them with a barbell and only ever seen videos of them using bar. I didn't even know there was a machine(never been to a gym for a work out). Thanks for the answer.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Ah, you meant a barbell hacksquat. My apologies.

If you can pull this off, it's more of a squat but you could possibly replace both the squat and the deadlift with this one exercise. However, I think it's too awkward to do with any real weight.

A much better alternative would be to use a trap bar, if you have one.

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
I can do deads but I don't have a squat rack so I can squat way more than I can lift over my head. Only other option is higher reps and less weight but that goes Against your system. Or invest in free standing squat stands as they're a bit more budget.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
thanks for sharing my friend I know you pretty well from the UG. I have a thread of yours I believe highlighted in my favorites that I still haven't started reading 'cause I'm not lifting right now. but I've read your take on doing hypertrophy only which at first was a shocker to me.

do you agree that this workout is very specific for you? you're already strong and in shape, so if you keep doing strenght workout you'll only be getting better at that specific lift without it transfering to practical activities. is that it?

so in my case - I'm in shape but I'm a skinny skinny fuck - the best way to gain practical stenght is to intersect hypertrophy and strenght training, adding mass on the weights as I gain muscle mass. does it make any sense?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Hi regular john @regular john

No, this is general to everyone. I've trained lots of athletes and they all get more muscular and stronger doing this.

The CAT method will push your muscles at 100% for every rep. The exercises I have chosen will include all the major muscle groups.

If you want to get bigger, I suggest cutting back on cardio, doing each exercise twice a week and eating a lot of calories, a good portion of which should be protein.

You could also do the Gallon Of Milk A Day (GOMAD) but it left me super bloated. I did gain weight VERY quickly though, like days, not weeks.

Last edited:

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
sorry I didn't specify my goals.

I don't want to get bigger at all. I haven't fought yet but if I'll ever do it, it will be sometime this year. so I actually wanna be the strongest posible within my current weight class.

that's why doing hypertrophy only was a shock to me. I've always associated hypertrophy with the stocky guys at the gym who get bigger and bigger which actually hinders their sports training.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Ah ok. Well I learned from vermonter @vermonter that strength has very little carryover between specific movements. Increasing your bench press without hypertrophy just means you are a more efficient bench presser. It won't help you push someone around around the cage - for that you should practise pushing people around the cage.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
yeah I absolutely agree with all of that.

but training hypertrophy only will add muscle mass that I don't want. training strenght only will only make me better at those lifts.

so intersecting hypertrophy and strenght training, adding mass on the weights as I gain muscle mass is the way to go? that's what I concluded at first from reading your stuff but now you sound like you don't do strenght training at all. and beware I may have a shitload of questions.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
I am in the same boat. Top of my weight class and lean. So I do the lifts (which are easy) because if I don't, I get smaller. But I only do each lift once per week and don't eat a bulking diet. So I maintain my muscle mass with 40 mins in the gym and have lots of energy for my martial arts training.

Happy to answer any questions :) I might add them to the OP as a FAQ section.

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
ok so this is where I think your program is specific.

you're already strong and in shape. you've exceeded triple bodyweight squat! what about the guys who do want/need to increase strenght while staying within a weight class? (other than playing the sport itself)

and if my questions are FAQ then I'm way more comfortable annoying you...

RedDragonUK

Posting Machine
Apr 17, 2015
I'm not sure if this answers the question but this guy Strong lifts on Youtube does a very similar system to Leigh. It's 5x5, this suits skinny dudes who want to gain strength and build muscle. Jason Blaha advises a Hypertrophy specific workout after 5x5 when you are strong enough.

View: https://youtu.be/7Jw4BPy6DwY