My "strength" workout

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

mko

Nov 19, 2015
One of the pioneers of finnish MMA, Mikko Rupponen, is a fan of this very bare-bone sort of training. Basically his premise is similar to Leigh & Vermonter.

Build muscle by doing basically anything you like and feel is good (in a way that it interferes with your sport training as little as possible).
--> Teach your nervous system to use that muscle by training your sport.

As for aerobic training, his advice is just to train your sport to which I disagree a bit. Of course it's the best way to build up your endurance and should take the majority of your training but you need to stimulate eccentric cardiac hypertrophy, which training your sport USUALLY doesn't provide enough volume in the right zone. If you can do controlled drills & sparring to stimulate it, I'd say it's better though.

Leigh, didn't you try just sparring 50 minutes twice a week or something in a certain heart rate zone? How'd that work for you?

All in all very refreshing to see a (now retired I think) mma fighter aknowledge that all the fad training (just watch any UFC countdown etc.) is mostly just a waste of time when comparing the gains it gives to the resources and time it takes.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
One of the pioneers of finnish MMA, Mikko Rupponen, is a fan of this very bare-bone sort of training. Basically his premise is similar to Leigh & Vermonter.

Build muscle by doing basically anything you like and feel is good (in a way that it interferes with your sport training as little as possible).
--> Teach your nervous system to use that muscle by training your sport.

As for aerobic training, his advice is just to train your sport to which I disagree a bit. Of course it's the best way to build up your endurance and should take the majority of your training but you need to stimulate eccentric cardiac hypertrophy, which training your sport USUALLY doesn't provide enough volume in the right zone. If you can do controlled drills & sparring to stimulate it, I'd say it's better though.

Leigh, didn't you try just sparring 50 minutes twice a week or something in a certain heart rate zone? How'd that work for you?

All in all very refreshing to see a (now retired I think) mma fighter aknowledge that all the fad training (just watch any UFC countdown etc.) is mostly just a waste of time when comparing the gains it gives to the resources and time it takes.
Yes, I tried just sparring. It is essential and if you do shark tank drills, it goes a long way. However, as you say, eccentric cardiac hypertrophy (stimulated by distance work) makes a HUGE difference.

I also tried to maintain strength with wrestling instead of strength training and it didn't work.