General My weight loss journey.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Bob Carson MMA

Independent Podcaster who doesn't have a "hustle."
Oct 13, 2017
Hello, all. My name is Bob Carson. A few of you may know me from around here and the underground forum. If not, here is a little background about myself. I am 39 year old jersey guy through and through. At 19, I started training in "shootfighting" with the goal of becoming a shootfighter/NHB fighter. I was training at the Bayside Academy of Martial Arts a school run by the famous referee Big Dan. Dan used to have unregulated shoot, muay thai and NHB matches at near by highschools featuring fighters from all over the tri state area. Keep in my mind, this was before the unified rules of MMA. As you can imagine, it was difficult at times to keep cards together, so Dan needed students who were willing to fight to compete, which is where I fit in. I fought 6 times at BAMA and lost every time.I went on to be the first fighter to be suspended for poor performance by the NJSAC and was featured on the cover of Full Contact Fighter magazine, ha-ha-ha.

Even while training and "fighting" at BAMA, I struggled with weight and anxiety issues. I fought at 180 and 270 for crying out loud. I endured hardship after my stellar fighting career: I lost both of my parents withing 3 years of each other. Lost my grandmother a year after my mother. Was hit by 2 cars and had both cars totaled and sustained injuries. Developed liver disease in 2017. This was the beginning of the turning point for me. I was diagnosed with simple fatty liver and told to eat healthy and lose weight. Well, I didn't take that advice and in 2019 I took a non-evasive scan of the liver which indicated advanced fibrosis cirrhosis of the liver. The news really freaked me out and motivated me. I started the Opti Fast diet with a weight loss doctor. Diet consisted of 5 shakes 1 bar for the first 4 months. The doctor would also give me an appetite suppersant along with medication to speed up my metabolism. When I started the program, I was 301lbs. However, when I took my liver scan, I was approximately 340lbs. 5 months on the Opti fast plan and I went down to 200. As of right now, I am 190lbs with 14 percent body fat. My metabolic age is 12. There are a number of habits/routines that I am doing that have helped me that I am willing to share that may or may not help you. I want my journey, which continues everyday to inspire someone.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Hello, all. My name is Bob Carson. A few of you may know me from around here and the underground forum. If not, here is a little background about myself. I am 39 year old jersey guy through and through. At 19, I started training in "shootfighting" with the goal of becoming a shootfighter/NHB fighter. I was training at the Bayside Academy of Martial Arts a school run by the famous referee Big Dan. Dan used to have unregulated shoot, muay thai and NHB matches at near by highschools featuring fighters from all over the tri state area. Keep in my mind, this was before the unified rules of MMA. As you can imagine, it was difficult at times to keep cards together, so Dan needed students who were willing to fight to compete, which is where I fit in. I fought 6 times at BAMA and lost every time.I went on to be the first fighter to be suspended for poor performance by the NJSAC and was featured on the cover of Full Contact Fighter magazine, ha-ha-ha.

Even while training and "fighting" at BAMA, I struggled with weight and anxiety issues. I fought at 180 and 270 for crying out loud. I endured hardship after my stellar fighting career: I lost both of my parents withing 3 years of each other. Lost my grandmother a year after my mother. Was hit by 2 cars and had both cars totaled and sustained injuries. Developed liver disease in 2017. This was the beginning of the turning point for me. I was diagnosed with simple fatty liver and told to eat healthy and lose weight. Well, I didn't take that advice and in 2019 I took a non-evasive scan of the liver which indicated advanced fibrosis cirrhosis of the liver. The news really freaked me out and motivated me. I started the Opti Fast diet with a weight loss doctor. Diet consisted of 5 shakes 1 bar for the first 4 months. The doctor would also give me an appetite suppersant along with medication to speed up my metabolism. When I started the program, I was 301lbs. However, when I took my liver scan, I was approximately 340lbs. 5 months on the Opti fast plan and I went down to 200. As of right now, I am 190lbs with 14 percent body fat. My metabolic age is 12. There are a number of habits/routines that I am doing that have helped me that I am willing to share that may or may not help you. I want my journey, which continues everyday to inspire someone.
Hang in there, Bob. This is a journey. All of it.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Congrats on the life-changing weight loss.

Good stuff.

Big Dummy

Cream of the Crop
Dec 15, 2018
Good for you, my man. It’s good to hear a positive life changing story. I hope you continue to achieve and surpass your goals.
Did you add exercise to your daily regimen?

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
Thank you for opening up and sharing with us your story and all that you have went through Bob, really appreciate it.

So when you originally blew up from 180 to 340 was this due to depression setting in from losing all your loved ones, also I’m guessing you hit the bottle hard at this time as well leading to the fibrosis cirrhosis of the liver?

When the doctor gave you the diagnosis, how spooked were you and was it hard laying off or cutting back on the boozing?

How hard was it adjusting to basically an all liquid diet for 4 months? I imagine that was not easy, also what was the appetizer suppressant the doctor gave you?

Sounds like you’ve gone through the ringer in life and are making a remarkable recovery!

Post some pics and feel free to share more! I’m very intrigued by your story.

Last edited:

Bob Carson MMA

Oct 13, 2017
Much surprise to me, you can develop advanced liver disease without alcohol. I never drank alcohol as an adult. While on the Optifast, I had 1060 a day of mainly soup. Now I am on a loose Keto diet where I try to stay under 50 carbs. No bread, fruit, soda. Low to no carbs. Metabolic age refers to your body's ability to burn calories when you are resting. The lower your age is, the more fit it is presumed you are. When I started optifast, my age was 81. I'll upload my numbers in due time. Here are some fairly recent pics.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Jun 19, 2016
Much surprise to me, you can develop advanced liver disease without alcohol. I never drank alcohol as an adult. While on the Optifast, I had 1060 a day of mainly soup. Now I am on a loose Keto diet where I try to stay under 50 carbs. No bread, fruit, soda. Low to no carbs. Metabolic age refers to your body's ability to burn calories when you are resting. The lower your age is, the more fit it is presumed you are. When I started optifast, my age was 81. I'll upload my numbers in due time. Here are some fairly recent pics.
Very cool of you to upload the pics

Wow! I assumed Alcohol would be the main culprit .. no bread, fruit or soda...damn!

I could go without soda but I’m a carb/fruit junkie.

Sounds like this diet has done wonders for you though, what ever works - that’s all that matters.

You’ve been on a crazy journey the past decade, I’m glad to hear you are getting everything together and things are starting to finally go your way.

What do you feel are the key aspects to losing weight and what would you say to others looking to drop weight?

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015

Thanks for sharing - All the Best!!

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Jun 19, 2016
Not sure on chem trails. Can planes carry such chemicals? Check out a video posted about my first Strongman Competition a few months back. Boy, was it humbling. Never will lose the urge to push myself, though.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEu8cNa5F1k&t=2s

Love it! That’s what life is all about as we get older, to always grow - to push ourselves and not be scared or intimidated to try new things!

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing the video!

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
It means he has that Benjamin fucking Button syndrome. Have some respect and pay attention.

Obviously I’m kidding.

This is really inspiring Bob! Very happy for you and best of luck during your ongoing journey. Yours is motivating!!

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Not sure on chem trails. Can planes carry such chemicals? Check out a video posted about my first Strongman Competition a few months back. Boy, was it humbling. Never will lose the urge to push myself, though.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEu8cNa5F1k&t=2s
Bro, your molestache game is on point. Please tell me you took this video while in your van. Congrats on the lifestyle change working out. You seem like a good dude.

Bob Carson MMA

Oct 13, 2017
Bro, your molestache game is on point. Please tell me you took this video while in your van. Congrats on the lifestyle change working out. You seem like a good dude.
I'm trying to change my life. Just listened to a book by James Clear titled "Atomic Changes" Small little changes each day shall result in huge results over time.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
340 to 200 in 5 months?? I've been following your journey on Facebook and it's been amazing to see, well done mate :)