NAC’s Bennett: Judge’s 10-8 score for Woodley was ‘unacceptable’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Tyron Woodley successfully defended his UFC welterweight title with a drab majority decision over Stephen Thompson at UFC 209. Sal D’Amato’s 47-47 scorecard was overruled by judges Derek Cleary and Chris Lee, who both saw it 48-47 in favor of Woodley. D’Amato awarded the champion a 10-8 round 5 for a late knockdown and near-finish of Thompson in what was otherwise another painstakingly uneventful round.

While D’Amato going 10-8 instead of 10-9 had zero effect on the fight’s eventual outcome, Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Bob Bennett took issue with Sal’s decision.

“The one judge that had it 10-8 – we went over it in the debriefing, and that 10-8 was unacceptable,” Bennett said in the UFC 209 post-fight press conference. “Not that it would have affected the outcome of the fight, but just to share it with you, we certainly strive to do the best we can – we don’t always succeed – and that judge should have scored that round 10-9.”

“You can’t have a three-point swing in 50 seconds,” he added.

NAC’s Bennett: Judge’s 10-8 score for Woodley was ‘unacceptable’

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I thought Thompson was rocked, but much less than it appeared, and really only once seriously when he buckled straight down and took a few.
But generally he was never out of it completely, was almost consistently moving.
That said, to say a 10-8 was out of line is ridiculous.
It could've gone either way.
Because Thompson recovered well and probably won most of the round, I'd have scored it 10-"8.5" from my couch, which means either way was a fine call imo.
10-7 or 10-10 would've been "unacceptable".

maurice

Posting Machine
Oct 21, 2015
“You can’t have a three-point swing in 50 seconds"

That's ridiculous. Even if you think it didn't happen in this fight, it's certainly possible.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I thought Thompson was rocked, but much less than it appeared, and really only once seriously when he buckled straight down and took a few.
But generally he was never out of it completely, was almost consistently moving.
That said, to say a 10-8 was out of line is ridiculous.
It could've gone either way.
Because Thompson recovered well and probably won most of the round, I'd have scored it 10-"8.5" from my couch, which means either way was a fine call imo.
10-7 or 10-10 would've been "unacceptable".
Wonderboy clearly won the fight

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Why can't you have 50 sec 2 point swing.
Maybe this wasn't one, for me it wad close enough.

If one fighter beats the living shit out of another the last minute of a round and is inches away from a finish without get hit himself that could be a big swing in points.
Again not saying this was one of those moments.

Ed_Stark

I am coming
Oct 24, 2015
Let's tag sal D'Amato to this thread so he knows it wasn't really all that bad of a call. I could see it 10-8 too, especially after all the whining for more 10-8 rounds that's been going on as of late. Thompson got shut off woken up then pounded on in that last flurry when nothing of significance happened before that.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
The murkyness of the rules between states and countries is just plain dumb. Surely it has to be one for all areas doesnt it?

I hate the US commission system where different rules apply. Being non US based I struggle to understand some locations exactly and what that commission will allow or wont.

No wonder poor old Sal got confused.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Wonderboy clearly won the fight
how much money did you lose?

Been there...gambling Bias.

wonderbory did absolutely nothing in the match...most impressive thing he did was dodge punches

never threw a single Heavy power technique for 25 minutes

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
The murkyness of the rules between states and countries is just plain dumb. Surely it has to be one for all areas doesnt it?

I hate the US commission system where different rules apply. Being non US based I struggle to understand some locations exactly and what that commission will allow or wont.

No wonder poor old Sal got confused.
old sal is corrupt as shit FYI

dozens of horrible scorecards by him, and usually in big fights

The thing that I take from this is that oversight actually functions as some kind of fixing committee, like "hey hey hey Sal, just cause you're a judge doesn't mean you have the autonomy to judge the fight how you saw it."
wtf is everything f'n corrupt?

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
I think anyone and everyone from the Nevada athletic commission should shut the fuck up..........

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
It's more unacceptable for that fact that it's been changed.
It was originally put as a 10-9 and tallied up in the total, then fudged and changed both the round score and the total.

Dodgy as fuk

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
“You can’t have a three-point swing in 50 seconds"

That's ridiculous. Even if you think it didn't happen in this fight, it's certainly possible.
Yes what is unnaceptable is this fuckin' suit going out of his jurisdiction creating rules about fight scoring instead of worrying about the millions of flaws in his own house. Out of all the ridiculous scores we see all the time including from D'Amato himself this is the one that warrants a media callout? I think this guy wants some attention.