Nate Diaz Being Sued By Former Management Team

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016

Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight Nate Diaz, who moonlights as a welterweight when the price is right, made so much cash from his Conor McGregor fights, that mixed martial arts (MMA) fans may never see him again.

That’s according to UFC President Dana White.

But that doesn’t mean Diaz is done fighting, as The Ballengee Group — who repped the Stockton slugger in 2016 — just slapped their former client with a million-dollar lawsuit after getting stiffed on his UFC 202 payout.

The Ballengee Group filed a lawsuit in L.A. County Superior Court claiming they had worked with Nate since 2014 and hammered out deals on several big fights including Rafael Dos Anjos, Michael Johnson and the first McGregor fight at UFC 196.

But Ballengee claims things got icy between the two sides in July 2016 -- right after sealing the deal for Nate to fight Conor at UFC 202 in August.

Ballengee claims Nate "unexpectedly" fired them -- and never paid them their cut for the UFC 202 fight, which was reportedly the biggest UFC pay-per-view ever at the time.

Diaz made $2 million for his “Notorious” rematch, plus bonuses and points.

Cont...

Nate Diaz Slapped With Million-Dollar Lawsuit

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Nick didn't go to school to know how to pay taxes and Nate didn't go to school to know how to pay agents.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
UFC stars Nate Diaz and Leslie Smith being sued by management group

By: Steven Marrocco | June 21, 2017 4:30 pm

Nate Diaz and Leslie Smith’s former management group is taking the fighters to court for allegedly skipping out on commissions and conspiring with an attorney to break management agreements.

The Ballengee Group seeks over $1 million in damages, among other claims alleging fraud, negligent misrepresentation and tortious interference in a lawsuit filed Monday by the firm’s attorney in Dallas County (Texas) court.

News of Diaz’s legal trouble was first reported by TMZ.com, and MMAjunkie obtained a copy of the lawsuit, which also includes Smith and attorney Sam Awad.

Nate Diaz could not be reached for comment, and calls to Smith and Awad went unreturned.

The suit, filed by attorney Jason H. Friedman, claims Ballengee signed Nate Diaz as a client in the summer of 2014 after his older brother Nick had signed and recommended him.

Diaz, the complaint states, was “looking for a management team that could take him to the next level which he had previously been unable to do.”

The brothers “represented and assured” Ballengee that in exchange for representing the younger Diaz, he would pay the firm “on the same terms and as set forth in” the elder Diaz, “and that The Ballengee Group would, if such terms were agreeable to it, represent Nate on all future bouts and business matters.”

The firm subsequently negotiated with the UFC on the younger Diaz’s behalf for several bouts, including his blockbuster against Conor McGregor at UFC 196, an ill-fated rematch planned for UFC 200 and a follow-up at UFC 202.

Diaz wound up making a disclosed $500,000 for UFC 196 and $2 million for UFC 202, though his final pay was likely much higher.

On the Diaz brothers’ recommendation, the management firm also picked up Smith, negotiating a promotional agreement in March 2016.

But just four months later in July, or one month after terms for UFC 202 had been negotiated, the suit claims Nate Diaz “unexpectedly” terminated its representation, and Smith did the same in November.

The suit claims that unbeknownst to Ballengee, attorney Awad had begun “interfering with their agreements” with the Diaz brothers and advised Nate Diaz and Smith not to pay for their services.

As a result, the firm is suing Awad for tortious interference while alleging the defendants “intended to avoid payment for the plaintiff’s services by intentionally or knowingly securing the performance of the service by deception,” or “knowingly securing the performance of a service by agreeing to provide compensation and, after the service was rendered, failing to make payment after receiving notice demanding payment.”

Cont.

UFC stars Nate Diaz and Leslie Smith being sued by management group

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
that sux cuz Diaz could have landed those fights without the management anyway.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
that sux cuz Diaz could have landed those fights without the management anyway.
There's a reason why everyone has agents at that level. The stars themselves, generally, aren't qualified to negotiate those deals. Without an agent he likely gets less than with, even after fees, because there will be legalese in there to confuse and stiff him.

M

member 3289

Nate needs to talk about Conor McGregor every chance he gets because a rubber match is the only thing keeping him from going back to 20/20

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Nate needs to talk about Conor McGregor every chance he gets because a rubber match is the only thing keeping him from going back to 20/20
It's good business. He knows you Conor Mcgregor Nut Huggers can't get the taste of that choke out of your mouth and a 'majority decision' wasn't nearly enough to satisfy that itch!

Conor will eventually fall right into Nate's trap, and y'all won't be able to do anything but scream for the ref to step in quickly.

M

member 3289

It's good business. He knows you Conor Mcgregor Nut Huggers can't get the taste of that choke out of your mouth and a 'majority decision' wasn't nearly enough to satisfy that itch!

Conor will eventually fall right into Nate's trap, and y'all won't be able to do anything but scream for the ref to step in quickly.

If the third fight ever happens I hope you're willing to put your money where your mouth is.

Don't be scared, homie.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
There's a reason why everyone has agents at that level. The stars themselves, generally, aren't qualified to negotiate those deals. Without an agent he likely gets less than with, even after fees, because there will be legalese in there to confuse and stiff him.
"I'll be a grease monkey the rest of my life before I let anybody ever screw me again"

- Bernard Hopkins explaining why he was working part time in an auto repair shop while champ, refusing to deal with managers.

I'd like to think I would be the same if I was a fighter and not a part-time fluffer.

I'd rather be completely underpaid and negotiate my own purses than have some parasitical cunt I have to deal with everyday mooching off me my whole career and suing me later.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
I'd rather be completely underpaid and negotiate my own purses than have some parasitical cunt I have to deal with everyday mooching off me my whole career and suing me later.
Let me know how that works for you with Dana offering 20/20 take it or leave it.

TalkingLeaf

Nov 4, 2015
As a fan of Nate I hope he doesn't lose this case and is able to keep his cash.

As a fan of Nate I hope he loses this case and the loss of a million bucks means he will fight again soon.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Nate and Nick have both talked at length about poor representation by their management team. Unsurprising if they were owed nothing and are just trying to cash in.