Nate Quarry speaks out on recent UFC Expo sponsor bans

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Nate Quarry

Former UFC Middleweight
Pro Fighter
Apr 27, 2015
That was the rationale for a long time. We basically accepted whatever fighters complained about because they're so delicate in real world situations and need the fans to make their finances better outside of buying a t-shirt. I wish somebody would come to my job and tell my manager I need to be rewarded because I tweet and write a bunch of non sense that people are entertained by, that'd be great. But, nope. I've got to perform how they want me to, in the time frame they say I should, finish eating when they tell me I should be done and back in my cubicle.
That's called adulthood. I don't like it, so I'm trying to find other ways to make money without taking a lot of strange cock. Not that I wouldn't take some strange cuz shit boring as fuck around chea, but yeah. I'm grown.
Once again you demonstrate how little you know about the real world. Amazing.
How often did you buy a shirt from a fighter? Send him $25 dollars and buy his shirt?
How many times has someone come to YOUR work and offered you money to wear a shirt?
Since you want to teach me about adulthood I'll teach you about business.
I was paid to wear a shirt because businesses wanted to advertise WITH ME. Because I get a lot of exposure and have fought in front of millions of people.
How many people do you interact with on your given work day? Do 22,000 people cheer your name when you walk in? Do millions at home watch you at work?
No?
Huh. Interesting. Maybe if they did then YOU would get sponsorship offers. But how many people cheer you on in your cubicle? How many people have emailed you telling you you've changed their lives? None? Huh. So you make no impact around the world?
THAT is why athletes in other sports get paid millions. Because they generate tens of millions. And they're known. Businesses want to associate with them.
Will there be other sponsorship opportunities? Sure. About 1% since the UFC changed the rules after getting everyone signed up for life.
But you can always quit and go to a different cubicle.
We can't. Imagine your boss cutting your pay by 90%. And it's your dream job. And you can retire, but you can't quit. And if you try to go to work somewhere else, they'll sue you for everything you've got.
The big difference is YOU are an employee. And you have rights that have been fought for by people that died a long time before you were born. You're so used to those right you don't even think about them. Go to NYC about a hundred years ago and see the 122 people that died in a fire because there was no fire exits and thank them.
So you're a fan of the business of the UFC, the billionaires that own it, and think fighters trying to feed their families are just greedy.
Amazing.
But I'm sure from your perspective we're just spoiled athletes. Who work 45 minutes a year. Whereas you put in 40 hours a week.
Clueless.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I think this right here shows how little you know about the business side of MMA.
The UFC is a monopoly. And in case you don't know, a monopoly does NOT have to own 100% of the world's business. The have to own a majority and control and set the standards for the rest.
"Why are you not going to a seasoned sports agency?"
Wow. Boy, are we dumb not to do that. Let's see... What could be the answer...
The minimum wage in the NFL, NBA and MLB is each about $500,000. The minimum wage in the UFC is $10,000. Let's see... How many agents are going to spend their efforts working for their cut of 10k over half a million a year? Then sponsorships. UFC= None. Other pro sports, equipment, shoes, gloves, shorts, on and on.
"Screw you Dana! I want half a million and the right to wear my own gear!"
"Great! You'll not be fighting for the UFC. Good luck in the minors where the pay is comparable to us since we set the stage."
Look around you place of work. You notice there are no exposed electrical wires? The exits are clearly marked? You get time and a half? How do you think these things came to be?
"Hell, you want a fire exit!? Start your own business! What a joke!"
Right... EVERY business has had growing pains. Hollywood? Has SAG. The NFL, NBA and MLB all have their player's associations. All begun in the courtroom. Right where we are.
We're trying to change things. For the fighters. So they can feed their families. But on occasion we come up against fans of what I can only assume are fans of Zuffa's corporate structure and how they run the business. "Hey billionaires, I'm so glad these fighters who are the best in the world can no longer make an extra $500 wearing a logo on their shorts! I love seeing fighters on Kickstarter trying to pay for surgeries since there's no retirement plan for them! I love that you have a private jet while they are driving used cars! And the fact that you own their likenesses beyond death is amazing! And with you changing the rules AFTER you have them under contract is brilliant! Sucking them in with, "Sure we can't pay you much but you can have any sponsors you want" then pulling the carpet out from under them meaning they're losing 90% of their income that didn't even come from you, came from other businesses, is amazing! I really hope to see every one of my favorite fighters broke and broken while you tip your waiter $10,000. You're amazing.."
The UFC controls the media. The UFC has killed all the sponsors. The UFC controls the industry. The UFC controls fighters likenesses forever without compensating them.
I have custody of my daughter and live in an area with good schools. Why? Because I was paid $10,000 to fight for the world title? No, because I had sponsors that wanted to attach their brand to ME.
And then the UFC started taxing sponsors. $100,000.00 for the privilege of sponsoring me.
The hell you say! "Just leave and go somewhere else!" Ha! I guess you don't understand contracts. I have one fight left on my UFC contract. So Bellator could offer a million bucks and I couldn't take it. Because they changed the rules in the middle of the game. Of course I could have fought it. Like Randy did. And they will drag out the court case for years. Killing my career and costing me millions of dollars.
But now we have the lawyers. And the time. And we're going to fight for fighters. For fighters to be able to feed their families while living their dream while someone makes billions off of them.
You may not care about that. But when I look at my daughter it makes me want to change things for fighters that can't stand up for themselves right now for fear of getting treated even worse.
So we'll fight. For what we believe is right. With or without you.
I'm sure the answer isn't being patronizing af, I'm well aware of the definition of a monopoly is, I'm also aware that you're no different than an employee but a lot less than someone who needs to be spoon fed a slice of reality. You chose to accept what you got to, what you love. Most Americans have a side hustle to subsidize their choice of a non lucrative career.
Hope the rest of your day and visit to the forum is a productive one with friendly discourse.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Once again you demonstrate how little you know about the real world. Amazing.
How often did you buy a shirt from a fighter? Send him $25 dollars and buy his shirt?
How many times has someone come to YOUR work and offered you money to wear a shirt?
Since you want to teach me about adulthood I'll teach you about business.
I was paid to wear a shirt because businesses wanted to advertise WITH ME. Because I get a lot of exposure and have fought in front of millions of people.
How many people do you interact with on your given work day? Do 22,000 people cheer your name when you walk in? Do millions at home watch you at work?
No?
Huh. Interesting. Maybe if they did then YOU would get sponsorship offers. But how many people cheer you on in your cubicle? How many people have emailed you telling you you've changed their lives? None? Huh. So you make no impact around the world?
THAT is why athletes in other sports get paid millions. Because they generate tens of millions. And they're known. Businesses want to associate with them.
Will there be other sponsorship opportunities? Sure. About 1% since the UFC changed the rules after getting everyone signed up for life.
But you can always quit and go to a different cubicle.
We can't. Imagine your boss cutting your pay by 90%. And it's your dream job. And you can retire, but you can't quit. And if you try to go to work somewhere else, they'll sue you for everything you've got.
The big difference is YOU are an employee. And you have rights that have been fought for by people that died a long time before you were born. You're so used to those right you don't even think about them. Go to NYC about a hundred years ago and see the 122 people that died in a fire because there was no fire exits and thank them.
So you're a fan of the business of the UFC, the billionaires that own it, and think fighters trying to feed their families are just greedy.
Amazing.
But I'm sure from your perspective we're just spoiled athletes. Who work 45 minutes a year. Whereas you put in 40 hours a week.
Clueless.
I appreciate you coming here and sharing your knowledge and experience with us, but your condescending tone is uncalled for and diminishes the message you're trying to get across.

P

Punch

I appreciate you coming here and sharing your knowledge and experience with us, but your condescending tone is uncalled for and diminishes the message you're trying to get across.
Even celebrities get pissed off. You all know the stress and anger that Nate is going through. I highly doubt it's personal. Thank you very much for being civil in your responses. I know i don't only speak for myself when i say i'm glad to see that. :)

Also i don't think it diminishes the message at all.

Ministry of Silly Walks

came in like a wrecking ball
First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
this is an actual part of his life, so i can see how he gets emotional over it. we are just fans, and some of the things fans say will piss the athletes off. plus, this has no effect on our well being.

Ministry of Silly Walks

First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
i like to see this emotion from him. it will help him push forward when many may give up. i applaud him, and would be willing to help in any way possible, if there is anything the fans can do.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Even celebrities get pissed off. You all know the stress and anger that Nate is going through. I highly doubt it's personal. Thank you very much for being civil in your responses. I know i don't only speak for myself when i say i'm glad to see that. :)
this is an actual part of his life, so i can see how he gets emotional over it. we are just fans, and some of the things fans say will piss the athletes off. plus, this has no effect on our well being.
I am with you guys. I certainly get emotional at times too. None of us can possibly understand what it's like to have gone through what Nate has. I want more people to hear his story and that's the only reason I responded. I just think there's a better way to get his point across.

Apr 3, 2015
You know what I always wondered? When you get down to the core of fighter pay and sponsorships money; Where is your agent? Why are you not going to a seasoned sports agency? Your wife might have a very nice set of titties and a sharp mind but unless she has negotiated sports contracts before, I'd advise you to just suck those breasts and have her read over your contract offers with your paid agent.
because you are only dealing with one entity, the UFC. "seasoned sports agency's" deal with MLB etc which all have 30 or so teams trying to get you to play for them. the UFC is not the equivelent of the MLB, its the baltimore orioles, shit its not even the orioles AAA affiliate in terms of organization and professionalism. and if you are only dealing with the aaa affiliate of the baltimore orioles then do you really need an agent that you have to pay out of that petty UFC wage??

you sound like a person who doesnt think things through.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015

Also i don't think it diminishes the message at all.
You read thru that? Oh you got time today Cuh?

P

Punch

You read thru that? Oh you got time today Cuh?
My daughter is napping at the moment, so i'm drinking some coffee and chillin'.

You seem like you're in a good mood today, and i think that's awesome... Where the weed at? :D

Ministry of Silly Walks

First 100
Amateur Fighter
Jan 15, 2015
I am with you guys. I certainly get emotional at times too. None of us can possibly understand what it's like to have gone through what Nate has. I want more people to hear his story and that's the only reason I responded. I just think there's a better way to get his point across.
i see nothing wrong with what nate said. there was a bit of siding with the company that's fucking these guys over, and saying fighters (the reason we are all here) are being childish. like he pointed out, they have changed many things after fighters were already under contract. he was being attacked, so he should have every right to respond in the same way. if someone called you a baby over something you were passionate about, what would you say back? even better, what would you think about saying, or doing to them?

Apr 3, 2015
The NBA helped Jordan develop his shoe? NFL let Jackson play an unrelated sport? UFC fighters grapple. Agents find you big money INDEPENDENT of the sports organization. I won't miss fighters walking around looking like Nascar
are you really comparing the popularity and marketability of MJ, the greatest basketball player ever, and other HUGE sports, to the fighters in the UFC????

so to you any fighter on the UFC roster is just as marketable as MJ or Bo or Gretzky????

this is a new level of nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Punch

because you are only dealing with one entity, the UFC. "seasoned sports agency's" deal with MLB etc which all have 30 or so teams trying to get you to play for them. the UFC is not the equivelent of the MLB, its the baltimore orioles, shit its not even the orioles AAA affiliate in terms of organization and professionalism. and if you are only dealing with the aaa affiliate of the baltimore orioles then do you really need an agent that you have to pay out of that petty UFC wage??

you sound like a person who doesnt think things through.
C'mon man. You can be nicer than that.

P

Punch

are you really comparing the popularity and marketability of MJ, the greatest basketball player ever, and other HUGE sports, to the fighters in the UFC????

so to you any fighter on the UFC roster is just as marketable as MJ or Bo or Gretzky????

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015

I sure did. But in the spirit of the forum I'm not gonna clap back. But my user name is the same on Twitter. ;)

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
i see nothing wrong with what nate said. there was a bit of siding with the company that's fucking these guys over, and saying fighters (the reason we are all here) are being childish. like he pointed out, they have changed many things after fighters were already under contract. he was being attacked, so he should have every right to respond in the same way. if someone called you a baby over something you were passionate about, what would you say back? even better, what would you think about saying, or doing to them?
I don't know. I have never given anyone a reason to call me a baby yet.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Lady's and gentlemen can we disagree without name calling?