Nate Quarry speaks out on recent UFC Expo sponsor bans

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
What I can't believe is that even after all these decades of failures, people still believe in the myths of capitalism. They believe you earn the favor of the boss and excel meritocratically. They believe their labor has earned them a bigger cut of the take. They believe there is anything just about the way business is set up in this country.

OhWhopDaChamp @MelE5150 is right in a sense. The game is rigged and to get ahead, you do have to make your own way.

Nate Quarry @Nate Quarry is also right. There is plenty of precedent for organizations that have engaged in unfair practices to be called to account by what we have that passes for a democratic system.

But the system is fundamentally broken. What I'd like to see is fighters go in a completely different direction and become their own promoters (as Oscar did with Golden Boy) and put on their own shows. A fighter association will be an intriguing instrument, but how does a union negotiate in good faith with a monopoly? Is there enough solidarity to realistically strike? Work stoppages are the only real resort of a sports union. In an individualistic sport like fighting, is that a tactic anyone can safely say would work?

A fighter's association in tandem with an antitrust finding against Zuffa would be a strong step in the right direction, but only if fighters are ready to go further than being declared UFC employees and are willing to seize the means of promotion for themselves.

Anything shy of that endgame is more than likely going to leave folks a little circumspect.
In the history of sports unions exactly how many were formed and implemented change in 1 year? So over the last 15 years fighters have relied on an outside organization more than they should have. There have been the occasional outspoken one, who his brethren silently nodded at and made a public joke.
Sue. It's the American way. Reform through arbitration to redress pass misdeeds won't enact any real change. If it does? Kudos! But in the meantime? For current, active, relevant fighters? Think outside of the box. Social media is a powerful tool for those with charisma and who put down the elitist attitude.
Nobody is working on world peace here. Developing a cure for HIV. Take a page from other sports entertainers, fighters. You might not make Maywheather money, nor GSP money even, but you can hustle and innovate to create your own independent income. Based on what you do and who you are, not the company that you work for.
When the question and scorn about folks who work 40 hours a week to pay for the life the want or the one they're stuck in, becomes a point of derision? That's what we support? When you feel the need to list your education but your rebuttal to a point of view is a comic calling the person retarded? That's what we've come to? Poverty pimps, whiners, assholes, and bitches?
Where do you go from there? Swim in your cesspool of anger at the system, drown in the shit. I'll continue to hustle.
As my parents did, and theirs did. The ones before them that survived slavery and made do until we could MAKE it do.
So, no. I don't get it and I don't want to fucking try.
And that's all I've got to say about the bullshit.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Our ancestors didn't survive slavery just to be hustlers Mel. We will turn this system in its head and capitalism can die its miserable death along with the institutions it perpetuated.