Nate Quarry speaks out on recent UFC Expo sponsor bans

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
Feb 28, 2015
Well, in the past 2 years of attending the expo it was basically all sponsor booths and the fighters did sign/picture time at the booth(s) of their respective sponsor. I'm realllllly curious what the expo is going to even be other than half the room with bright green muscle pharm shit and the other half Reebok and then people wandering aimlessly around? The whole point of an expo is to showcase products, etc. Half the fun is checking out new products, samples, getting free shit.

I'm tempted to hop a flight down just to witness whatever it is they are going to do. I guess they could technically have a bunch of FATK live from the expo type things. I dunno, this is getting so very strange to me.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Well, in the past 2 years of attending the expo it was basically all sponsor booths and the fighters did sign/picture time at the booth(s) of their respective sponsor. I'm realllllly curious what the expo is going to even be other than half the room with bright green muscle pharm shit and the other half Reebok and then people wandering aimlessly around? The whole point of an expo is to showcase products, etc. Half the fun is checking out new products, samples, getting free shit.

I'm tempted to hop a flight down just to witness whatever it is they are going to do. I guess they could technically have a bunch of FATK live from the expo type things. I dunno, this is getting so very strange to me.
Very well said. No idea how this is going to play out, but interested in watching the shit storm.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
Told people.. been saying it for years. Pretty sad it's taken this much of a wake up call to happen for people to realize.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Ok I get it. They do bully and take advantage BUT, it's the UFC fan expo. It's not an open market hosted by a non UFC entity. It's the UFC expo. I'm coming from the place that fighter's should manage their business. Think of it as YOUR business and that means that you have your own independent sponsor deals that do not piggyback off of the UFC. Fighter's shouldn't have been dependent on getting sponsors by stamping an icon on their asses. Market yourself like other professional athletes, promoting products outside of their sports arena. Yeah, it'll be a while since it is a niche sport but it was easy to find Cub Swanson's t-shirt. Everyone who saw it didn't need to know where that shirt is from. It's basic merchandising that GSP was able to master outside of asking the UFC to make him a star.
They are shitty but so is every money making corporation in the United States.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Ok I get it. They do bully and take advantage BUT, it's the UFC fan expo. It's not an open market hosted by a non UFC entity. It's the UFC expo. I'm coming from the place that fighter's should manage their business. Think of it as YOUR business and that means that you have your own independent sponsor deals that do not piggyback off of the UFC. Fighter's shouldn't have been dependent on getting sponsors by stamping an icon on their asses. Market yourself like other professional athletes, promoting products outside of their sports arena. Yeah, it'll be a while since it is a niche sport but it was easy to find Cub Swanson's t-shirt. Everyone who saw it didn't need to know where that shirt is from. It's basic merchandising that GSP was able to master outside of asking the UFC to make him a star.
They are shitty but so is every money making corporation in the United States.

:)

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Yup. That's the solution. Make your own system instead of fighting inside a corporate one Pilgrim.
Like really? Waaah Waaah the UFC won't let me promote non UFC stuff at the UFC expo. Smh

Last edited:

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
AND instead of pouting about it why aren't they asking their major sponsor to set up an expo at the same gotdamn time at the nearest gotdamn conference hall and rent out booths to non competitors? I'm just honestly confused, like why tf are you paying a fucking agent? Shit. It's like ya'll need Bill Bill Clinton to tell you to get off of UFC welfare.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
AND instead of pouting about it why aren't they asking their major sponsor to set up an expo at the same gotdamn time at the nearest gotdamn conference hall and rent out booths to non competitors? I'm just honestly confused, like why tf are you paying a fucking agent? Shit. It's like ya'll need Bill Bill Clinton to tell you to get off of UFC welfare.
Not sure if serious.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yup. That's the solution. Make your own system instead of fighting inside a corporate one Pilgrim.
Like really? Waaah Waaah the UFC won't let me promote non UFC stuff at the UFC expo. Smh
Here's my problem with this OhWhopDaChamp @MelE5150. These companies have supported the UFC and fighters on their roster for years. Zuffa depended on them to help keep the business afloat when times were tough, and to supplement the fighters incomes, while Zuffa paid them peanuts. The fighters depended on them (and still do) to make money outside of the UFC, because the UFC pays so bad. Now that Reebok and MusclePharm threw some serious cash around, these companies are no longer good enough for the UFC to do business with. So they get kicked to the curb, they're no longer given that platform to promote their products, their revenue declines...their business gets hurt, and so do the fighters. Zuffa is notorious for using people, and then throwing them away, when something better comes along. They've done it with pioneers of the sport, they've done it with fighters over the last 10 years, they do it with fighters today, and they've done it to sponsors that helped them become what they are today. They have zero loyalty whatsoever (unless you're a personal friend).

But yeah, you're right...they are like any other business in that regard. Just sucks to see people get hurt because of it.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
As a small business owner myself I will say that I don't feel that I owe anyone anything nor do I expect anyone in my related industry to do me any favors. Expecting business relationships to last forever is silly. This is the UFC's expo. They are shelling out the cash and they sure as hell should do whatever they want with it. Yea, it will be different than every other year, but I'm sure they will still provide a cool experience to meet all the fighters. I'm with
OhWhopDaChamp @MelE5150 on this one. These other small mma companies should stop their twitter pouting and stop relying on the damn UFC. No one is stopping these people from banding together, renting their own venue, and putting on their own mma expo for fans. Not everything needs to be done under the friggen UFC's banner. All this negativity is starting to really rustle my jimmies.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Here's my problem with this OhWhopDaChamp @MelE5150. These companies have supported the UFC and fighters on their roster for years. Zuffa depended on them to help keep the business afloat when times were tough, and to supplement the fighters incomes, while Zuffa paid them peanuts. The fighters depended on them (and still do) to make money outside of the UFC, because the UFC pays so bad. Now that Reebok and MusclePharm threw some serious cash around, these companies are no longer good enough for the UFC to do business with. So they get kicked to the curb, they're no longer given that platform to promote their products, their revenue declines...their business gets hurt, and so do the fighters. Zuffa is notorious for using people, and then throwing them away, when something better comes along. They've done it with pioneers of the sport, they've done it with fighters over the last 10 years, they do it with fighters today, and they've done it to sponsors that helped them become what they are today. They have zero loyalty whatsoever (unless you're a personal friend).

But yeah, you're right...they are like any other business in that regard. Just sucks to see people get hurt because of it.
You know what I always wondered? When you get down to the core of fighter pay and sponsorships money; Where is your agent? Why are you not going to a seasoned sports agency? Your wife might have a very nice set of titties and a sharp mind but unless she has negotiated sports contracts before, I'd advise you to just suck those breasts and have her read over your contract offers with your paid agent.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
You know what I always wondered? When you get down to the core of fighter pay and sponsorships money; Where is your agent? Why are you not going to a seasoned sports agency? Your wife might have a very nice set of titties and a sharp mind but unless she has negotiated sports contracts before, I'd advise you to just suck those breasts and have her read over your contract offers with your paid agent.
Lol, I like the analogy. What happens when one party decides to change the rules in the middle of the game though? Because that's whats going on here.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Agents are paid to find the best deal among a sea of similar potential and exploit your existing leverage. The UFC owns the majority of the market, paying an agent to go play hardball with the UFC unless you are Conor McGregor, is basically met with "Don't want our offer? Fine, go fight lesser talent, we'll remember this though".

There's no point in having a high priced agent in MMA if you want to fight the best, they are going to tell you that they can't do much for you, or take your money and scam you.

This is the mentality of what you are dealing with:

"That's an amalgam of conversations I've had and other fighters have had over the years. I was actually told, "Oh you can't make it? Dana will be very upset to hear that when I tell him."

The UFC is, by evidence of this current situation, willing to let marquis divisions sit and rot for the most part when they don't have something they can work with to inflate their brand through. Green fighter X at HW right now who wrestles is not going to get shit from the UFC, not going to get shit from Bellator because their HW is not a priority either, in fact the majority of HW has nowhere to go but sit where they are and hope it changes.

An agent is pointless in this shallow of a sea of places to land. Even low level hockey players have more than one team interested in them, because multiple teams always need to fill similar needs or reach cap floors. The UFC is telling everyone these days, "We don't need you, unless you are Ronda Rousey or Conor McGregor level noticeable, you have ZERO leverage with us if you are not", and agent has nothing to work with UNLESS you had other opportunities to make money in terms of branding and with Reebok, that's all gone too.

Last edited:

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Lol, I like the analogy. What happens when one party decides to change the rules in the middle of the game though? Because that's whats going on here.
Huddle up, get your strategy together, slap your teammates (agent/manager/wifey) on the ass, and execute the new plan. Same as you do with any job that changes policy during your employment. I refuse to treat fighters like children or incompetent adults. I just refuse to be a poverty pimp for anyone.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
Agents are paid to find the best deal among a sea of similar potential and exploit your existing leverage. The UFC owns the majority of the market, paying an agent to go play hardball with the UFC unless you are Conor McGregor, is basically met with "Don't want our offer? Fine, go fight lesser talent, we'll remember this though".

There's no point in having a high priced agent in MMA if you want to fight the best, they are going to tell you that they can't do much for you, or take your money and scam you.
That was the rationale for a long time. We basically accepted whatever fighters complained about because they're so delicate in real world situations and need the fans to make their finances better outside of buying a t-shirt. I wish somebody would come to my job and tell my manager I need to be rewarded because I tweet and write a bunch of non sense that people are entertained by, that'd be great. But, nope. I've got to perform how they want me to, in the time frame they say I should, finish eating when they tell me I should be done and back in my cubicle.
That's called adulthood. I don't like it, so I'm trying to find other ways to make money without taking a lot of strange cock. Not that I wouldn't take some strange cuz shit boring as fuck around chea, but yeah. I'm grown.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
so this is really the reebok and muscle pharm expo with ufc fighters in attendance ?

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That was the rationale for a long time. We basically accepted whatever fighters complained about because they're so delicate in real world situations and need the fans to make their finances better outside of buying a t-shirt. I wish somebody would come to my job and tell my manager I need to be rewarded because I tweet and write a bunch of non sense that people are entertained by, that'd be great. But, nope. I've got to perform how they want me to, in the time frame they say I should, finish eating when they tell me I should be done and back in my cubicle.
That's called adulthood. I don't like it, so I'm trying to find other ways to make money without taking a lot of strange cock. Not that I wouldn't take some strange cuz shit boring as fuck around chea, but yeah. I'm grown.
No other job than athlete/actor/dancer/musician is something people go out of their way to watch, pay large money, and center hobbies around. You don't want them to be special and entitled? Sorry, but that's how the entirety of capitalist reward has made them for over half a century now.

They are not the same as you and me, and we made them that way, football to hockey to everything else. They are the equivalent of the underwater welder, if people paid to watch the underwater welder and he wasn't welding something of vital importance. It includes being both labour and product, elevate to broadcast importance, with skilled training and danger pay level consideration. Trying to equalize one job to another is completely futile, if we wanted to stop what making them the center of attention would progessively create for them, then we should have all resisted paying our cable bills and thrown away our televisions. They qualify for their rightful return because all the athletes next to them and before them built the castle they now occupy and we let it happen and ate it up in our bored tv watching lives.

They are not a different case of athlete, they are athletes in the grand scope of broadcast sports while their infrastructure continually goes out of it's way to destroy any leverage they have.

Pride broadcasting in Japan, had it surived and still thrived, does not take away pure broadcast dollars from the UFC as they are two different timezones and two different places of central revenue. But what Pride did do, is provide labour/product leverage, and the UFC bought them, purely to destroy an option. Strikforce was a conflict for both broadcast dollars and leverage.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
That sounds good in theory, but the UFC has done all they can to make the fighters more or less invisible within the brand and have stifled exposure opportunities the athletes have with the in cage ban and likeness restrictions.

It would be a great thing if fighters were unified and organized enough to get some sponsors together for an expo, but they'd have to have the sponsorship deals in place first. Many of them just lost a hefty percentage of their existing sponsors.

It would be interesting to see an unaffiliated MMA expo, but I've been to the one here in ny at Javitz and to say it was pathetic would be an understatement.