Nate Quarry surprised by fan backlash to UFC antitrust lawsuit

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

When Nate Quarry signed on to be one of the original three plaintiffs in the class-action lawsuit filed against the UFC, he knew some sort of backlash was inevitable.

Quarry, along with UFC veterans Jon Fitch and Cung Le, filed a complaint last December alleging that the UFC had engaged in unlawful antitrust practices. That lawsuit has since broadened into five separate lawsuits from a total of 11 past or present UFC fighters. As the case marches forward to the gradual beat of the legal drum, Quarry has found himself surprised by the increasing frequency of criticism he hears from fight fans who view the suit as nothing more than a cash grab from a handful of disgruntled fighters.

"What we're trying to do is we're trying to shape MMA for future generations so these up-and-coming kids have a legitimate shot of having a career and following their dreams. But we can't do that when we have one company that's completely dictating the terms of the entire sport," Quarry told MMAFighting.com.

"It always shocks me when people say, ‘oh, these athletes are just spoiled athletes.' Really? So the guys who trained for 10 or 15 years, not just for free, but paying for their lessons at the gyms, and then started fighting for free on the amateur circuit, turned pro and fought for a couple hundred bucks here and there, whose dream is just to be a fighter that loves this experience, they're the greedy ones compared to the billionaire owners of the corporation?

"[The same people who are] standing here saying, ‘nope, all of this money is ours. You're just greedy. Oh, by the way, you can't have anymore sponsors unless we say you can. Oh, by the way, you have to fight here. You have to fight then. You have to fight who.' It's just ridiculous, and we're seeing a big change in climate."

The next step for Quarry and the rest of the plaintiffs comes in May, when a California judge rules on Zuffa's motions to not only relocate the suit from San Jose to Las Vegas federal courts, but also to outright dismiss the complaints entirely.

The plaintiffs allege that the UFC has created a monopoly over the professional mixed martial arts market, one which limits fighters' earning potential through a variety of anti-competitive practices.

Quarry has long been a critic of the UFC's business practices since exiting the promotion with a 7-3 record in 2010, writing extensively on the subject on MMA forum The Underground. The TUF 1 veteran fought for six years in the UFC, challenged for the middleweight title in 2005 for a purse of $10,000, and was one of many fighters to sign his likeness over in perpetuity for a nominal fee. He warns young fighters that the fight game "isn't a charity, it's a business," and acknowledges that in the early stages of his career, such practices may have been necessary to help a struggling company to stay afloat.

But those days are over, Quarry says, and with many of the fighters of his era trickling out of the sport "broke and broken," he's stunned by some of the vitriol he's received from the same fans who reveled in the blood and sweat he and his comrades sacrificed over their fighting careers.

"Everyone is so forgetful of the journey that everyone has gone through," Quarry said. "It used to be there were no requirements for smoke alarms or fire exits. This was brought along because of the labor union. Back in the day with the baseball players, the NBA, the football players, they had no rights whatsoever. They'd go to work in the offseason while they're living their dream of being a professional football player, then they'd go work at a gas station in the offseason, while the owners are making millions and billions of dollars and telling the fans out there, ‘These guys are just so ungrateful. Wouldn't you love to be a professional football player too?'

Nate Quarry surprised by fan backlash to UFC antitrust lawsuit - MMA Fighting

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Quarry has found himself surprised by the increasing frequency of criticism he hears from fight fans who view the suit as nothing more than a cash grab from a handful of disgruntled fighters.

Are people really saying this?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Oh man...I assume you didn't visit othee forums during the time it was breaking. This was the incident that made go from loyal contributing member with high tolerance to throwing my hands up in disgust. One of the comments I distinctly remember being posted was "Not our fault that Nate " dumb as a rock" Quarry is famous for getting KTFO. He's just butthurt now because he hates seeing that at the start of every show..."

I couldn't believe that not only would someone be so disrespectful to a guy as good as Nate but that the post wasn't removed. I PMd mods, admin, cut and pasted it with link to thread and all the info needed and not a single relly back or action. There was SOOOOOO much BS flying around I didn't want to even open the fucking app at the time.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Fans are easily swayed to idiotic positions, but never underestimate the influence of paid posters.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Fans are easily swayed to idiotic positions, but never underestimate the influence of paid posters.
They were out in force once the news broke. I remember reading a study on public opinion in forums and group think, the general gist of what it came down to(that I remember), was that if the first few posts about a subject take a certain stance, then that stance is significantly more likely to be the general overall attitude expressed in the thread. If you do that enough you really can start to sway opinions, since if every thread you read goes that way, then surely it must be true right?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
They were out in force once the news broke. I remember reading a study on public opinion in forums and group think, the general gist of what it came down to(that I remember), was that if the first few posts about a subject take a certain stance, then that stance is significantly more likely to be the general overall attitude expressed in the thread. If you do that enough you really can start to sway opinions, since if every thread you read goes that way, then surely it must be true right?

This is actually why I dont use reddit for discussion. There's a magnifying of this effect by moving uniform ideas to the top, silencing dissent.

I remember reading a generic rule that online discussion follows the 100/10/1 rule. In that out of the 100% of site visitors, only 10% post replies, and only 1% post new topics. A significant minority can steer the hivrmind and its worse if you consider the effect you are discussing in that only a few of those 10% are needed yo push a certain direction.

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
I think the people talking shit are the newer fans/kids probably. Fans who don't know what its like to work and feel underappreciated, underpaid and so forth. You could tell Nate was a good guy since tuf1 ep.1. His recent actions with the kid Jake the snake go to show he still is.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
This is actually why I dont use reddit for discussion. There's a magnifying of this effect by moving uniform ideas to the top, silencing dissent.

I remember reading a generic rule that online discussion follows the 100/10/1 rule. In that out of the 100% of site visitors, only 10% post replies, and only 1% post new topics. A significant minority can steer the hivrmind and its worse if you consider the effect you are discussing in that only a few of those 10% are needed yo push a certain direction.
Yup, it is why the culture of a forum is so important, and bad influences shouldn't be tolerated.

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015

Don't forget guys, if you make a stand against the majority you might lose your presious little green arrows! Oh god not that! Most people posting there are aproval addicts. They want to feel accepted, a pat on the back ie the green arrow.

P

Punch

Don't forget guys, if you make a stand against the majority you might lose your presious little green arrows! Oh god not that! Most people posting there are aproval addicts. They want to feel accepted, a pat on the back ie the green arrow.
Fuck that shit. My (now defunct since i ain't going back to that cesspool) account has never had a green arrow that I'm aware of. Internet "cred" means less than nothing if you don't have integrity.

P

Punch

I think it's pretty fucked up people would give The Rock such backlash for doing what he thinks is right. Disagree with, fine. But shitting on the guy like La Paix @BirdWatcher mentioned is totally classless.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
People incorrectly feel that he's trying to ruin a product that they love. They also believe if you're on tv that you're rich. If Nate lived by my motto, that 95% of people are idiots, he would'nt be worried about what the fans think.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Yes, and it was/is disgusting. Nate was ran off of one popular forum, and I believe he even had his colored name revoked by ownership (maybe I'm wrong about that, but I recall him not having it anymore after he came on to try and explain himself. I was pissed beyond belief.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
That was my first Q&A Sunday. How cool was that of Jimmy Smith @Jimmy Smith to hang out and do that. Nate should be fun.
It's going to be tough for anyone to beat Jimmy. Fuck, 4 HOURS??? Jimmy's a maniac! Nate should be awesome though. Just from speaking to him, he certainly appreciates what we're trying to do here and will enjoy his opinion being respected.

Peaceout!

Apr 11, 2015
I would never dis Nate like that, he's a great guy but I do question the purpose of this. I understand he fought for the title for 10k but that was back when the UFC was barely above ground. The fighters of today would have a more valid argument imho. That being said, there are other promotions out there. Those promotions may not have the money and show of Zuffa, but these fighters can MAKE it. I take Ralek Gracie as my subject. Frustrated by the UFC and most major grappling tournaments, he created Metamoris and it's doing great! Is it as big as it's going to be? Nope, not at all, but everyone starts somewhere. If all these guys who are suing Zuffa put their names on a company, it would make that company legit over night. Just my thoughts.