Need a new vehicle, would love some input!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Which vehicle would you pick?

• Total voters
Feb 28, 2015
Needs:
AWD/4WD
utility/cargo space
tow ability
reliability (want to keep it forever)
to look cool dammit

I've narrowed it down to the 4 mentioned because it's what I like and fits the bill for the above.

Thank you in advance :)

In the next year or so I'm going to get me one of these (similar, small size, lightweight) so don't need heavy tow capacity, the 3.6L outback can tow up to 3k lbs which may suffice and why it's included:

trailer.jpg

And so I'm trying to decide between this:
whiteoutback.jpg
....this:

whitewrangler.jpg

....this:

whitetacoma.jpg

....or this:

whitetundra.jpg

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
For me it would be the tacoma, we don't see trucks here often in the netherlands on the road.
If i could i would have got a ford f150 raptor, they go for about $60K to$ 75K here.
I believe thats almost $20K more than in the USA.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Tacomas are great. I have 100k miles and have just recently replaced the plugs. I change my oil every 5k. The only bad things are the sound system is poor, the back end is really light = BAD in snow, gas mileage is just ok at 17-20 miles a gallon.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I'm a jeep fanboy like no other.
But you should get one of the Toyota's. I personally would lean towards the tundra. But I'm not familiar with the exact towing capacity of either. So if the tacoma will do what you want as far as work horse., then I would get that as it will be cheaper andget better gas mileage.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Tacoma - that thing will go for 300+k miles if you perform regular maintenance.

Feb 28, 2015
Thanks everyone, this is great feedback. The guy that lives across the street works at one of the Toyota dealers in town, going to go in tomorrow afternoon and test drive a couple to get a better feel for both. The sub and jeep are still in the running too, will probably test drive each of those too and the get my current rig fixed and traded in soon!

Apr 3, 2015
you're a hot chick, hot chicks only drive Jeeps. its a fact.

so get the jeep. unless you want to be confused with not being a hot chick.

true story, if you get a tacoma you'll be labeled a truck slut. I have never seen a classy chick in a truck. any mans first thoguht when they see a chick in a truck is = "she fucks".

trucks = fucks.

get the Jeep.

Last edited:

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Tundra without a doubt is the best and most capable vehicle there by far.

But here are my thoughts...

The Outback is a great vehicle. Great mileage, comfortable, and flagship of our great northwest, but it will not consistently tow that camper, especially if ANYTHING is in it(including *ahem*.....fluid).
The campers Nowdays come even more lightweight than those older ones, so there may be(are) more capable, functional and modern alternatives(even if that is cute) that match up well.

The Jeep, as RJJH mentioned, is for hot "39's and feeling fines".
It will do what you need sexily.
(Make sure tow capacity for chassis is double what you're hauling. Jeeps are notorious for blowing heads towing capacity loads).

The Tacoma is a nice rig, and will do all you require.

The Tundra is the sexy beast version of the Tacoma. It basically pulls up next to the Tacoma and snickers, if it even looks in that direction.
But the pricetag may reflect that, especially when options start rolling in.
Do you really need all that truck?

In conclusion, those vehicles are definitely appropriately ordered in terms of capability, and price.
Unless you haul open stuff, maybe from Craigslist/offerup/(helping friends move), then they may be unnecessary for your needs.
I'm completely guessing, but the impression I get is you should be picking between the middle two options.
The Outback may be a little too....little, and the Tundra a bit too much.
Resale is always awesome on Toyota's, and Jeeps are fun, personal, and expensive to fix(usually because their drivers tend to drive them like rentals).

On a personal note, my whole family is/has been in car sales or finance.

Good luck!

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Late to the party, but here goes. I've worked on Toyotas for a better part of 15 years, and over the course of my career a little bit of everything else. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, you won't regret your decision. I've had my taco for about 2 years and love it, a tundra won't fit in my driveway, lol. Congrats on the purchase, nice color.

Feb 28, 2015
Update. I plasti-dipped both bumpers, the grill surround, toyo emblem and all badging. Roof rack on order this week. Probably going to dip the grey bumper inset behind the bull bar too. Oh and going to tint the headlamp/taillamp covers a bit. Then I'll be mostly done with exterior. Need to get new audio system inside, stock one suuuuucks.

photo.JPG

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That'll make a world of difference on the headlights.
Looks sharp.