Need advice on a low-GI diet

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

b00ts

pews&vrooms
Amateur Fighter
Oct 21, 2015
Discussing with my new Thai coach my goals today. Told him I mainly wanted to get back in "fight shape" again and was hoping to get some pro fights in MT before I reach 35. He told me the first thing to do is get my diet dialed in and to not even think of it as a diet, but rather a complete change in eating habits for long term. He suggested a low-GI diet with a good amount of protein on rest days. He said it would help metabolism and energy levels needed to actually compete in MT.

So I started the journey of researching a low-GI diet and it seems confusing, but I may be overthinking it. I see you can eat low-GI and medium-GI foods, but you can mix in high-GI foods with certain low-GI foods to decrease the overall GI of the meal.

Am I understanding this all correctly? I've been looking over the GI list to try and get some sort of meal plan going, but I end up getting frustrated lol

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Eat clean, add some healthy carbs on training days

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
Yes, you understand it correctly. GI and GL is all about how long it takes to make that food spike yur blood glucose.
GI (glycemic index) refers to the individual piece of food, which is near useless unless youre soley eating just that type of food for your meal.
GL (glycemic load) is about how 100g of the entire meal together will effect your blood glucose levels.

High GI still have there uses, after training recovery carbs for example.

ronniejohnson09

Aug 2, 2022
Well, You understand it completely right. Generally, If you eat low-GI food mixing it with high-GI, Then it will affect the "averaging" of the GI. For Example, eating Cornflakes which are Higher-GI with milk which is lower GI will reduce the overall effect of the cornflakes and milk meal on blood glucose levels.