Need advice on data/connectivity

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So I'm looking for some help or options on how to stay connected to internet or cell service for a trip. I posted a thread about buying a truck and travel trailer and its 99% a go. The plan is to hit the road end of summer leaving Kelowna and go south with the family and just basically do a tour of north Americas perimeter and chase the nice weather for maybe 2 months, maybe 12. I'm looking for the best way to stay connected for emails, Skype, google hangouts or phone service on this trip, something like a prepaid air card or whatever. Last two times I went to LV my phone bill got out of control just using regular texting and internet searches. Cell plans in Canada are much higher than the US as far as I know so I'm relying on the experience from my Murican friends to point me in the right direction as far as options. Whatcha got TMMAC?

Totally unrelated but I'm wanting attention here.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
FYI it'll probably need to be shared between myself and my beautiful wife and our two offspring. I see us doing weekly Skype's for grandparents, Netflix, streaming fights, lots of internet to help find destinations, kids YouTube on their iPads.......

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Good starting point thank you. My personal cell bill is usually $150+ a month so I'm hoping to get something much cheaper. When I'm slow at work I've exceeded my 10gb limit no problem.
T-Mobile might have unlimited data ones.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
What's considered the best provider for service in the US? Verizon?

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Unfortunately that really depends on where you are. Verizon, att, T-Mobile, sprint, are all good imo. Not all of them have unlimited data though, so I'd go with one that does.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Unfortunately that really depends on where you are. Verizon, att, T-Mobile, sprint, are all good imo. Not all of them have unlimited data though, so I'd go with one that does.
Sweet I'll check that out, still confused on if you have to be an American and Is a contract (added to a cell phone package) or a pay as you go system as they would need to bill the monthly fee somewhere so a contract of some sort is needed ?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Would I need an American address to be able to sign up for a contract?

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Sweet I'll check that out, still confused on if you have to be an American and Is a contract (added to a cell phone package) or a pay as you go system as they would need to bill the monthly fee somewhere so a contract of some sort is needed ?
I doubt you have to be American. And if you don't want a contract pay the full price of $100-$200 for the device and you will be month to month. If you do need to be an American let me know and we can figure something out.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I doubt you have to be American. And if you don't want a contract pay the full price of $100-$200 for the device and you will be month to month. If you do need to be an American let me know and we can figure something out.
Perfect. As far as the device I'll be buying it out right its just the monthly contract I'm curious about. Great info here so thanks again.