Need help with a weight/gym routine to compliment BJJ

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Bschutz

Lurker
Mar 1, 2016
Hey Guys,

I've been training BJJ for a while, but never really got into weight training or going to the gym. I'm getting older and starting to feel like I should add a couple days of weight training to my routine to keep my body strong. I'm not looking to gain any size or strength, mainly want to keep my body and joints strong. Some additional cardio would be good as well. I teach/train BJJ around 7-8X per week so I was thinking of adding 2 days of weights/cardio and one day of cardio. Kinda overwhelmed and not sure where to start. I need a pretty simple routine that I can manage on my own. I have a gym membership and access to Kettlebells and some other stuff at my BJJ gym.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Hey Guys,

I've been training BJJ for a while, but never really got into weight training or going to the gym. I'm getting older and starting to feel like I should add a couple days of weight training to my routine to keep my body strong. I'm not looking to gain any size or strength, mainly want to keep my body and joints strong. Some additional cardio would be good as well. I teach/train BJJ around 7-8X per week so I was thinking of adding 2 days of weights/cardio and one day of cardio. Kinda overwhelmed and not sure where to start. I need a pretty simple routine that I can manage on my own. I have a gym membership and access to Kettlebells and some other stuff at my BJJ gym.
Drop in & say Hi.
Founding Grappling Forum Members | The MMA Community Forum

ronniejohnson09

Aug 2, 2022
A recent study on the importance of muscular strength highlighted that the ability to exert force against external resistance has a strong relationship with physiological factors that may affect muscular endurance and strength. For Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioners seeking to improve their muscular strength, they must first understand what physiological changes have occurred or may occur to effectively make progress in resistance training (RT).
During BJJ weight training programs, by improving maximum dynamic strength, an athlete may also enhance maximum isometric strength and reactive strength characteristics, resulting in better athletic performance. So just start the weight training to enhance your BJJ training.

lamarclark09

Oct 20, 2022
Having a gym that guides you and makes the routine is very important if you are very serious about this. firstly concern your instructor.

Last edited: