Need info/advice for new house

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I am going to keep this a running post. We are building a new house. Does anyone install/have (careera) marble countertops? Have something that is less expensive but looks similar (NO LAMINATE)? Things will start moving fast and we will need to make a lot of decisions soon. Never thought I would need to pick out a color for facia. I know I know.... "First world problems".

Simpleman

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Just because I didn't want it to get lost in the first post; anyone install their own surround sound wiring? Builder is letting me do it myself before drywall goes up, to save us $. I already have a 7.1 receiver. The speakers are cheap infinity's from Costco.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I hope that I can help somewhat here brother. We replaced our laminate counter tops with granite a couple of years ago, and it cost us approximately $4200. It took two slabs for the material. We removed the laminate tops ourselves (which saved us about $250 and took 45 minutes to accomplish), and the contractor installed the new.

Measuring the space is by far the most important part of the process, because every cut has to be perfect when dealing with granite or any type of stone. After that, it's a pretty simply process...the stone is adhered to the cabinets (and walls, if there's a backsplash) with silicone adhesive.

Here's a picture of the granite we chose. It was on the higher end in terms of cost per sq/ft, so there are plenty of options to choose from to work with various budgets.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Just because I didn't want it to get lost in the first post; anyone install their own surround sound wiring? Builder is letting me do it myself before drywall goes up, to save us $. I already have a 7.1 receiver. The speakers are cheap infinity's from Costco.
Surround sound wiring is super easy. Just get some 14 gauge speaker wire and run it through the walls. Try to keep the wires away from electrical outlets and Romex cabling to prevent interference. 7.1 is sort of overkill, imo. My receiver is also 7.1 capable but I only use the 5.1 setup. I'm sure you're already familiar, but here's the diagram for speaker placement and optimal listening position.

Have you also considered running network cables? A lot of people prefer wirless, but a hard-wired connection is really the way to go. Not to mention the added value to your home. I recently wired my house with CAT-6, but you can probably get away with CAT-5e if you want to save some money at the cost of speed.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Monoprice is definitely the place to buy your cables. You won't find any cheaper. They practically sell at cost.

14 AWG speaker cable:
14AWG Loud Speaker Cables - Monoprice.com

CAT-5 network cable:
Cat 5 Ethernet Cables - 1000ft Bulk Cable - Monoprice.com

And if you're in the market for short run connectors (HDMI, RCA, etc), get them from Monoprice too. Anything available for purchase at Best Buy and the like are WAY overpriced. And you're not getting any better quality. For reference, here's a comparison of expensive Monster cables vs a wire coat hanger...

Audiophile Deathmatch: Monster Cables vs. a Coat Hanger

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I have no way to really help out with what you're asking. However I hope you will take some pictures of the process and keep this a running thread so we can all take part in your house building.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I have no way to really help out with what you're asking. However I hope you will take some pictures of the process and keep this a running thread so we can all take part in your house building.
That would be very cool.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
When i put countertops, I went to the actual slab warehousess themselves itself. They are kept in this huge cold ass room. 100's of slabs and you go around with a piece of paper writing down the code for each on you like. Some of the warehouses will have prices on them.

I was going for marble at first but then was told that Granite /Marble have a tendency to stain and chip since they are natural stones and more porous.

I went with Quartz because of its ability to be stronger and less staining. Once i made that decision I went to the warehouse in the Quartz section to see how a large slab looks.

So it depends on your criteria.

When removing the wood laminate you can do that to save money like IWEI said. There are screws on the bottom where your cabinet doors are. Just remove those and the possible caulking along the edges. It will save you some cash.

Also you have to make the decision on if you want undermount sinks or overmount. The overmount ones have the lip on them and go over your countertop. People nowadays tend to use the undermount sinks because you can wipe all the water down easily. Then you can tell the countertop people to cut that so it relates to your sink style.