General Net Neutrality: Team Cable Vs. You and everyone Else!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Cable companies raise prices all the time, they are not in your best interest. At least the Government we can hold accountable. The Internet should be governed much like water or air, it is THAT important. It brings information to the poor and unlucky, it brings hope and oppertunity; I would like it to be the exact same for everyone, not just the ones with money. Cause that is what happened to our Justice system, money became justice. So, I do have to side with Governmental involvment on this one, as they represent a far larger group of people, than those cable companies with their bad track records of raising these ridiculous rates every fucking time.
Think about what you're saying. You want to entrust the internet to the same people who treat the water and air like disposable commodities?

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
They have bought lakes here. The government doesn't protect the air or the water, they just wait until it's convenient to sell. That's who you want to be in charge of "neutrality".
Well, part of the government, the same government that now is selling public land, it is because we have a corporate guy in office now. Remember, the government may screw us from time to time, I am with you there. But the corporate greed, that is what will do us in. The removal of these regulations opens the gates for the wolves to dine. Like what they did with our data, and the recent data breach. Some things should always be in the hand of the government, like traffic, law, water and air regulation. And in the information age, the internet as well.

Getting rid of net neutrality is not some sort of compromize, it's a swing the other way, now you and I have control to an extent, but tomorrow, also that will be gone. Facebook will still collect our data, as will Google, it's just that we're having to pay for it a little more while being manipulated far more than Facebook or Google ever did. I'd like very much to be wrong in this, but I won;t hold my breath.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Well, part of the government, the same government that now is selling public land, it is because we have a corporate guy in office now. Remember, the government may screw us from time to time, I am with you there. But the corporate greed, that is what will do us in. The removal of these regulations opens the gates for the wolves to dine. Like what they did with our data, and the recent data breach. Some things should always be in the hand of the government, like traffic, law, water and air regulation. And in the information age, the internet as well
That's incorrect. The government's entire existence is predicated on screwing us. We have to pay to live on land we own. Let that sink in.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
The government's entire existence is predicated on screwing us.
That's a rather cynical view, and one I disagree with.

There are people (people like you and me) who use their position in government to screw us. And this happens mostly because companies send their lobbyists, to financially entice our elected offiicials to do so.

I am with Masato Toys @Masato Toys on this one. And this is nothing new, it happened in the food industry,bankingindustry, tabacco industry, etc etc. The government is being used like a dish rag or a hammer, an object to do their bidding. The government is infected by corruption, greed, etc. And now they have their sights on the internet, the next thing to bend at the hands of big business.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
That's a rather cynical view, and one I disagree with.

There are people (people like you and me) who use their position in government to screw us. And this happens mostly because companies send their lobbyists, to financially entice our elected offiicials to do so.

I am with Masato Toys @Masato Toys on this one. And this is nothing new, it happened in the food industry,bankingindustry, tabacco industry, etc etc. The government is being used like a dish rag or a hammer, an object to do their bidding. The government is infected by corruption, greed, etc. And now they have their sights on the internet, the next thing to bend at the hands of big business.
What you're saying has been happening literally since the beginning of recorded history. I'm not being cynical, you're being naive.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
sets a scary precedent.

if they can censor and control the internet they can do that with anything in society.

except now they have some of the most dangerous wireless technology and robots to use.
Fuck that. I think as humans we have already deemed ourselves total morons who can not ever have nice things. We are like babies with new toys that we just fuck up left and right. Truthfully people have proven that they need to be controlled to the utmost. People are so dumb and reckless these days i have no problem with the gov going rogue and changing everything because not only do we take tall our freedoms and liberties from granted we have no idea how to use them anymore and we have no idea how to be responsible anymore. Fuck it.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
It's hard not to. You're pretending that corporate greed can exist without government assistance.
The reason they need government now is because their activities involves deregulating, their legal bills are getting too high, or there's new competition. They like capitalism until there is a Tesla, Youtube, or Netflix taking away all their customers, then they go throw their money at politicians to "do away with big government".

Corporate greed can most certainly exist without government, it will thrive. As for now, they are bound by laws and regulations, creating an equal playing field. So it is not that the government is assisiting them, they just want that part of government to be gone so they have free reign. They need government due to regulations and laws.

So in a sense you are right, they DO need government to take away regulations. But still you're willing to hand over control to the manipulators over the manipulated? (which are of course both, not to be trusted).

Companies control the government, but there is where we can fight back. Without government, there is nothing we can do, as the government is our only weapon, even though it is at times, pointed at ourselves. We're dealing with a monopoly here, it's not like we can go elsewhere. The only option will be shutting the off the Internet.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
We're dealing with a monopoly here, it's not like we can go elsewhere.
The monopoly was created by the government. Otherwise other businesses could make their own internet and we wouldn't be in this position to begin with. You going to tell me that the government are the only ones capable of taking care of the roads too?

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
The monopoly was created by the government.
I disagree.

Especially when you consider competition laws, antitrust laws, the sherman and clayton act, etc. If anything, the government is all we have to prevent a monopoly and protect consumers.

We let companies do their thing and we get $500 medicine, just because. Oh, we already do? Oh shit!

Just because government fails us every so often does not make these corporations the good guys, there is a track record that proves that. Where do you think these laws came from? From abuse. And internet providers becoming content providers, and now want the power grab because of the competition blows them out of the water? Of course that leads to abuse.

A company made money off of your data while it was being breached, and they go free. The guy got a golden parachute. We've already stopped talking about it.

Let's disagree, just explaining why I am for net neutrality.

You going to tell me that the government are the only ones capable of taking care of the roads too?
No, but they should, we need uniform roads and regulations, we can't have companies making wider or smaller roads, or, shorter bridges, that would be disastrous, it just doesn;t make sense. You sound like an anarchist :)

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I disagree.

Especially when you consider competition laws, antitrust laws, the sherman and clayton act, etc. If anything, the government is all we have to prevent a monopoly and protect consumers.
If any of that were true, we wouldn't be having a conversation about a handful of companies colluding to wield all the power.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
If any of that were true, we wouldn't be having a conversation about a handful of companies colluding to wield all the power.
Yes, companies are still trying to get the law to bend their way, you've said it perfectly. Without a governing body they would've done that years ago.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Yes, companies are still trying to get the law to bend their way, you've said it perfectly. Without a governing body they would've done that years ago.
Without a governing body the existing companies would be forced to actually compete with one another, furthermore new competitors would be able to enter the market.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Without a governing body the existing companies would be forced to actually compete with one another, furthermore new competitors would be able to enter the market.
There was a point in time that was the reality, and then monopolies happened. I am a firm beleiver in free market, but them companies need to have rules or they will take heads. It's like traffic rules, I would be going on the the sidewalk GTA style.