Cinema Netflix Doc: Shelby American

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
As opposed to NASCAR? Driving in a big circle?
NASCAR has the same issue to some degree.
On the larger tracks their cars are restricted from racing at top speed, making passing very difficult. It's more about surviving the big crash than it is about advancing your position on the track. Those races often turn into a (much slower than F1) boring activity of follow the leader.

In F1, the cars are too wide and too fast. There's not enough room on the track to make a pass, so it also develops into a competition of attrition. Why risk bumping tires with someone? Just maintain your position and see what happens.

If I want to watch enjoyable racing, I head to the local dirt track and watch those yahoos go at it. There's usually a pretty good fight in the pits as well.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
they had some shelby get together here in long beach those cars look and sound amazing in person
I was curious to see what a '62 AMC Cobra was going for.
A fully restored original will run you over $1 million.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Get ready for those electric F1 cars. LMAO.

In 2018, F1 calculated its total carbon emissions at 256,551 tonnes (not including fans' transport to races). Forty-five percent of that figure came from the logistics of shifting freight around the world by road, air and sea, and only 0.7 percent came from the emissions of the racing cars themselves.

In a vague attempt to future-proof itself, F1 launched a plan in November to become net carbon neutral by 2030 and to have "sustainable" races by 2025. It's the first time F1 has had a policy on sustainability, but when you consider entire countries (Norway and Uruguay) are also aiming to become net carbon neutral in the same time frame, is F1's plan ambitious enough?

The environment will pose F1's biggest challenge in the 2020s

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Get ready for those electric F1 cars. LMAO.

In 2018, F1 calculated its total carbon emissions at 256,551 tonnes (not including fans' transport to races). Forty-five percent of that figure came from the logistics of shifting freight around the world by road, air and sea, and only 0.7 percent came from the emissions of the racing cars themselves.

In a vague attempt to future-proof itself, F1 launched a plan in November to become net carbon neutral by 2030 and to have "sustainable" races by 2025. It's the first time F1 has had a policy on sustainability, but when you consider entire countries (Norway and Uruguay) are also aiming to become net carbon neutral in the same time frame, is F1's plan ambitious enough?

The environment will pose F1's biggest challenge in the 2020s
Richard Hammond crashed that fancy electric car the other year, I'm sure that fucker does over 200 (can't remember, too lazy to rewatch the scene)

View: https://youtu.be/k6Hf0WGquNM

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
emissions
polutants
a new hole forming in the ozone layer directly over that crash
If you ever see something composite on fire don't go near it. For real. That shit is bad and will kill you, might take a bit but it will fuck you up. I used to work on an aircraft made of composites and I told them if this thing catches fire don't worry about your fire extinguisher because I'm running.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
About halfway through the doc. Nice to see the Daytona finally get some love. What a gorgeous car.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Dude, electric cars are absurdly fast.

If memory serves a gas car hasn't won at LeMans since the hybrids came on the scene.
I know they are.
But it ain't the same. I want combustion and noise.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Meh. I don't even like the turbine hydros because they are so quiet. It's just not the same, even though they are WAY faster...

Turbine:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3y44icsvaE

GP:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQej6dxBWzM

And for some real ground pounding sound, I like the vintage boats even more...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFvZpjEVuIM
Personally after spending a lot of my 20's around motorsports I appreciate them turning down the volume.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Personally after spending a lot of my 20's around motorsports I appreciate them turning down the volume.
Not me.
I still like it loud.

Although when i hit the 1/4 mile dirt track I do put in ear plugs.

Coast

Land of the Prince Bishops
Oct 18, 2017
That last dude was terrified driving that car. He should not have been behind the wheel.

That said, I think I see some carbon footprinting at 8:46
Yeah, no reason to be afraid, not like it was first high speed crash.

Those top gear presenters are in their 50's maybe its time they tried to stop setting land speed records.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Yeah, no reason to be afraid, not like it was first high speed crash.
Didn't know he had fucked shit up before.
My point was - if he was that terrified (which you can tell he was by the look on his face) he had no business pushing it like he was.

How do these guys get insured if they are fucking shit up all the time?

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
There's usually a pretty good fight in the pits as well.
I saw a woman jump on a guy's back and start mauling him with one of the putty knives that they use to scrape the mud off of the panels with... That was awesome!