General Netflix spent a little bit less than $700 million to buy the rights to Roald Dahl's entire catalogue.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
That's a lot of money to spend, just to give yourself the opportunity to neuter a bunch of all-time classic stories and sand off all the edges, remove all the cynicism and distinct character, and turn them all into snowflake woke identity politics bullshit.

Still, can't write it off entirely without seeing what they actually come up with, I guess.

Gotta be some Roald Dahl fans here, surely? I was 8 when he died, and his was the first celebrity death that made any kind of impact on me.

??

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
What could they possibly due with his catalogue that already hasn't been done(and better) that will be worth that much considering that doesn't even consider the price of actually producing the material...

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
What could they possibly due with his catalogue that already hasn't been done(and better) that will be worth that much considering that doesn't even consider the price of actually producing the material...
Just a guess, they will probably start some tv shows. Can see a Matilda show that would be a little like the old Sabrina stuff maybe. Maybe a chocolate factory show to rival gravity falls. I know I go to Netflix less often for kids stuff now, so they probably need to step it up.

I wish they would make a season two for lego elves.

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Just a guess, they will probably start some tv shows. Can see a Matilda show that would be a little like the old Sabrina stuff maybe. Maybe a chocolate factory show to rival gravity falls. I know I go to Netflix less often for kids stuff now, so they probably need to step it up.

The original chocolate factory movie is one of my all time favorites even to this day. Going to be hard to top it no matter the budget.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
Fantastic storyteller. Despite his hate, I still love his autobiographies too.
From Dahl's Wikipedia page:

Dahl told a journalist from the New Statesman in August 1983: "There's a trait in the Jewish character that does provoke animosity, maybe it's a kind of lack of generosity towards non-Jews. I mean there is always a reason why anti-anything crops up anywhere; even a stinker like Hitler didn't just pick on them for no reason."

o_O

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Heard about the show on the radio the other day.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
There’s already a new Matilda in the works for Netflix supposedly coming December 2022. Emma Thompson is set to play Trunchbull.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
im guessing the have to make like 1.4 billion to make their money back the advertising for all those movies and shows will probably have to be maybe 300 million dollars at least. seems like a dumb move that will give HBO max more of a lead Netflix needs to makes less shows and make their current originals better.

FINGERS

TMMAC Addict
Nov 14, 2019
Just watched the queen's gambit.

Bit late to the party. But it's very very good.

Even with the gay shoe horn and the black saviour it's a very solid piece of work.

The actress is memorising.

She would make a perfect bond girl.

Easy an 8.2/10.

Netflix can do decent things.