Nevada commission: Kevin Lee was ‘medically fit to fight’ at UFC 216

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
has it been confirmed as staph?

because folliculitis looks similar to staph I have had folliculitis from hot showers..

we need a diagnosis Splinty @Splinty
naw this was staph

IMO...not a doctor fyi

staph is in on your body at times I have heard...and certain strains can get you at times of low immune system or open cut/rash etc...

Splinty @Splinty

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Kevin Lee Failed to Disclose Staph Infection on NAC Questionnaire

interesting article.

I can see why Kevin wouldn't want to cancel the fight. Kind of greasy but we all bend the rules from time to time when it puts food on the table. It's the Dr's imo who are incompetent here.
Another great contribution from ErikMagraken @ErikMagraken. While Kevin did technically commit perjury, every fighter who has ever claimed a previously undisclosed injury after a fight has done the same thing. The UFC and AC's bear the brunt of the responsibility here, as it is not what you preach, it's what you tolerate that matters.

ErikMagraken

Posting Machine
Apr 9, 2015
Thanks Doctor. Now the real issue about lying about staph vs a physical injury is staph puts your opponent at risk. This should not be tolerated in the sport.

On another note, take a look at Kevin's pulse. Sitting at 134. Standing at 152. The AC cleared him for continued weight cutting despite the obscenely high heart rate. Any comments on this?

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Agreed that both lying on the forms and in particular withholding information about a communicable disease should not be tolerated.

His sitting/standing pulses are high, but I don't know the setting in which they were obtained. If he got pulled out of a training session for the physical then it would not raise concern. If he was supposed to be calm and at rest when that was obtained, then it would prompt further questioning (nervous, caffeine, sick etc).
In the setting of having just missed weight, looking like he did on the scale, and having that significant of a resting tachycardia; it is disappointing that he was allowed to cut further. We need regulators to make the tough decisions to keep fighters safe. I expect that we will see some regulatory changes in Navada in the relatively near future.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Thanks Doctor. Now the real issue about lying about staph vs a physical injury is staph puts your opponent at risk. This should not be tolerated in the sport.

?
Thanks Erik, this was my first and only thought and i still can’t let it go

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
naw this was staph

IMO...not a doctor fyi

staph is in on your body at times I have heard...and certain strains can get you at times of low immune system or open cut/rash etc...
Staph is on your body at all times.
Your body is also to fight it at most times. When you're immunocompromised due to things like injury, weight cuts, extreme physical exertion you're more likely to get sick from it.

Likewise, my immune system may not be able to fight off the strains that reside on your body especially when my system has been strained due to similar exertion. Add in cuts and it's pretty damned dangerous.

Does anyone know if they mop/sanitize the canvas between fights? I know they sometimes paint over the blood for televised fights on Fox but I don't know if any promotion actually mops during the event to help cut down on risks from fight to fight.