New app will be the Yelp of people

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
You can already rate restaurants, hotels, movies, college classes, government agencies and bowel movements online.

So the most surprising thing about Peeple — basically Yelp, but for humans — may be the fact that no one has yet had the gall to launch something like it.

When the app does launch, probably in late November, you will be able to assign reviews and one- to five-star ratings to everyone you know: your exes, your co-workers, the old guy who lives next door. You can’t opt out — once someone puts your name in the Peeple system, it’s there unless you violate the site’s terms of service. And you can’t delete bad or biased reviews — that would defeat the whole purpose.

Imagine every interaction you’ve ever had suddenly open to the scrutiny of the Internet public.

“People do so much research when they buy a car or make those kinds of decisions,” said Julia Cordray, one of the app’s founders. “Why not do the same kind of research on other aspects of your life?”

“trendy lady”with a marketing degree and two recruiting companies, Cordray sees no reason you wouldn’t want to “showcase your character” online. Co-founder Nicole McCullough comes at the app from a different angle: As a mother of two in an era when people don’t always know their neighbors, she wanted something to help her decide whom to trust with her kids.

Given the importance of those kinds of decisions, Peeple’s “integrity features” are fairly rigorous — as Cordray will reassure you, in the most vehement terms, if you raise any concerns about shaming or bullying on the service. To review someone, you must be 21 and have an established Facebook account, and you must make reviews under your real name.

You must also affirm that you “know” the person in one of three categories: personal, professional or romantic. To add someone to the database who has not been reviewed before, you must have that person’s cell phone number. (The app was originally supposed to scrape names automatically from Facebook, but the site’s API wouldn’t allow it — to Cordray’s visible annoyance.
Positive ratings post immediately; negative ratings are queued in a private inbox for 48 hours in case of disputes. If you haven’t registered for the site, and thus can’t contest those negative ratings, your profile only shows positive reviews.

On top of that, Peeple has outlawed a laundry list of bad behaviors, including profanity, sexism and mention of private health conditions.

“As two empathetic, female entrepreneurs in the tech space, we want to spread love and positivity,” Cordray stressed. “We want to operate with thoughtfulness.”

More:
Everyone you know will be able to rate you on the terrifying ‘Yelp for people’ — whether you want them to or not - The Washington Post

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
You can already rate restaurants, hotels, movies, college classes, government agencies and bowel movements online.

So the most surprising thing about Peeple — basically Yelp, but for humans — may be the fact that no one has yet had the gall to launch something like it.

When the app does launch, probably in late November, you will be able to assign reviews and one- to five-star ratings to everyone you know: your exes, your co-workers, the old guy who lives next door. You can’t opt out — once someone puts your name in the Peeple system, it’s there unless you violate the site’s terms of service. And you can’t delete bad or biased reviews — that would defeat the whole purpose.

Imagine every interaction you’ve ever had suddenly open to the scrutiny of the Internet public.

“People do so much research when they buy a car or make those kinds of decisions,” said Julia Cordray, one of the app’s founders. “Why not do the same kind of research on other aspects of your life?”

“trendy lady”with a marketing degree and two recruiting companies, Cordray sees no reason you wouldn’t want to “showcase your character” online. Co-founder Nicole McCullough comes at the app from a different angle: As a mother of two in an era when people don’t always know their neighbors, she wanted something to help her decide whom to trust with her kids.

Given the importance of those kinds of decisions, Peeple’s “integrity features” are fairly rigorous — as Cordray will reassure you, in the most vehement terms, if you raise any concerns about shaming or bullying on the service. To review someone, you must be 21 and have an established Facebook account, and you must make reviews under your real name.

You must also affirm that you “know” the person in one of three categories: personal, professional or romantic. To add someone to the database who has not been reviewed before, you must have that person’s cell phone number. (The app was originally supposed to scrape names automatically from Facebook, but the site’s API wouldn’t allow it — to Cordray’s visible annoyance.
Positive ratings post immediately; negative ratings are queued in a private inbox for 48 hours in case of disputes. If you haven’t registered for the site, and thus can’t contest those negative ratings, your profile only shows positive reviews.

On top of that, Peeple has outlawed a laundry list of bad behaviors, including profanity, sexism and mention of private health conditions.

“As two empathetic, female entrepreneurs in the tech space, we want to spread love and positivity,” Cordray stressed. “We want to operate with thoughtfulness.”

Unfortunately for the millions of people who could soon find themselves the unwilling subjects — make that objects — of Cordray’s app, her thoughts do not appear to have shed light on certain very critical issues, such as consent and bias and accuracy and the fundamental wrongness of assigning a number value to a person.

More:
Everyone you know will be able to rate you on the terrifying ‘Yelp for people’ — whether you want them to or not - The Washington Post
FUCKKKKKK... I was just thinking about something like this but for dating sites. Where you enter their username, the site their on, it pulls pics down and people can leave reviews. Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
FUCKKKKKK... I was just thinking about something like this but for dating sites. Where you enter their username, the site their on, it pulls pics down and people can leave reviews. Fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Me too. I actually helped work on such an app, but it was more focused on rating relationships once you were actually in them. We wanted to eventually pitch as a tack on to OKCupid or How About We, but the developers bailed on us. To me, attaching such a service to a dating app is a no brainer, but having it in the wild as a standalone is deeply problematic.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Me too. I actually helped work on such an app, but it was more focused on rating relationships once you were actually in them. We wanted to eventually pitch as a tack on to OKCupid or How About We, but the developers bailed on us. To me, attaching such a service to a dating app is a no brainer, but having it in the wild as a standalone is deeply problematic.
What makes it problematic in your opinion.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
What makes it problematic in your opinion.
Compromises to privacy. Devaluation of personal relationships and honesty for "ratings." Reinforcement of inequalities i.e. racial and gender biases. Questions about what they'll be doing with that Facebook data they'll be using. A bad day or misunderstood sarcasm counting heavily against someone. Employers using this in hiring. The list goes on...

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
There are already a bunch of healthcare sites that 'rate' doctors.

It basically devalues the entirety of my profession and patient interaction into facebook likes.

We'll ignore all the reasons why, but the more you try to raise metrics on generic scores like this the worse your patient will likely do:

Patient satisfaction linked to higher health-care expenses and mortality

So yeah, lets definitely expand that to the entirety of my being. That doesn't feel shitty.

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
There are already a bunch of healthcare sites that 'rate' doctors.

It basically devalues the entirety of my profession and patient interaction into facebook likes.

We'll ignore all the reasons why, but the more you try to raise metrics on generic scores like this the worse your patient will likely do:

Patient satisfaction linked to higher health-care expenses and mortality

So yeah, lets definitely expand that to the entirety of my being. That doesn't feel shitty.
You know what's shitty, showing up to meet a chick and she looks nothingggggggggg like her pictures. At 22 how the fuck does she have a pear shaped body with no titties and a tummy