General New arrow in the mods quiver

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
RIP Song.

Online trolls to be jailed if they cause ‘psychological harm’

Social media users could face up to two years in prison if they knowingly cause ‘psychological harm’ online, it has been reported.

New offences are set to be created by upcoming legislation called the Online Safety Bill.

In its current form, the bill would focus on threatening social media companies with fines of up to £18 million for failing to tackle abuse, but the changes could see individual users prosecuted at a much larger scale.

The new offences include ‘threatening communications’, which covers messages and posts where the author intends their victim to fear a threat will be carried out.

‘Knowingly false communications’ will cover messages users know to be false and are sent with the intention of causing ’emotional, psychological, or physical harm to the likely audience’.

Toelocku

*I Know What I Know if you Know What I Mean*
Dec 15, 2018
RIP Song.

Social media users could face up to two years in prison if they knowingly cause ‘psychological harm’ online, it has been reported.

New offences are set to be created by upcoming legislation called the Online Safety Bill.

In its current form, the bill would focus on threatening social media companies with fines of up to £18 million for failing to tackle abuse, but the changes could see individual users prosecuted at a much larger scale.

The new offences include ‘threatening communications’, which covers messages and posts where the author intends their victim to fear a threat will be carried out.

‘Knowingly false communications’ will cover messages users know to be false and are sent with the intention of causing ’emotional, psychological, or physical harm to the likely audience’.

Leigh @Leigh approves!

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
I wonder what the definition of "psychological harm" will encompass, for example would incorrect pronoun usage qualify?

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
Oh and by the way everyone, FO/KY you fucking losers!!!

The legislation hasn't been passed yet, so I'm safe :)

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
RIP Song.

Zeph @Zeph is in heaven