new lifting videos, lets see if my form got better!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
guess its time for you guys to evaluate my lifts again. here are my 3 from this morning ( i normally do pull ups as well but my pull up bar is not mounted correctly, the guy who did it is coming to fix it today)

I can already tell from watching the video that I need to keep my back straighter when doing hack squats.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Ok lets just talk about your bench. First dont lock your arms out on every set, second do not ROUND your shoulders at the top keep your back and shoulders flat on the bench. Curls are not bad. Move your hands in a bit closer together. Lighten the weight and do more reps and focus on the squeeze.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Ok lets just talk about your bench. First dont lock your arms out on every set, second do not ROUND your shoulders at the top keep your back and shoulders flat on the bench. Curls are not bad. Move your hands in a bit closer together. Lighten the weight and do more reps and focus on the squeeze.

I understand what you mean by not locking out my arms on every set (I assume it give me a rest period I should not be taking?) but I am not sure if I understand the not rounding my shoulders part. You said to keep my shoulders and back flat against the bench but watching the video I dont really see myself lifting them up... but you obviously know more about this kind of thing than I do so I will try to focus on that next time I do bench press.

As far as curls go I understand the move the hands closer part and to lighten the weight and do more reps but dont understand what you mean by focusing on the squeeze.

So you do not think the 5x3 method is a good idea for curls? I do 3 sets of 5 for everything while trying to go for as many as I can on the last set instead of 5, once I can do more than 5 on the last set consistently I move up the weight.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I understand what you mean by not locking out my arms on every set (I assume it give me a rest period I should not be taking?) but I am not sure if I understand the not rounding my shoulders part. You said to keep my shoulders and back flat against the bench but watching the video I dont really see myself lifting them up... but you obviously know more about this kind of thing than I do so I will try to focus on that next time I do bench press.

As far as curls go I understand the move the hands closer part and to lighten the weight and do more reps but dont understand what you mean by focusing on the squeeze.

So you do not think the 5x3 method is a good idea for curls? I do 3 sets of 5 for everything while trying to go for as many as I can on the last set instead of 5, once I can do more than 5 on the last set consistently I move up the weight.
That 5x3 method at your stage of fitness and physique wont be helpful. When i say rounding your shoulders i mean at the top when you lock out you also lift up your shoulders nothing should move from A to B except your arms up to right before lockout and back down, squeezing the chest the whole time. See what you are doing is just lifting the weight, you are not connecting to it and feeling that mind muscle connection on every rep for every set. Just lifting up and down will yield little to no results. You need to learn how to squeeze and feel the muscle you are working on for every rep.

righthook

Mar 21, 2016
That 5x3 method at your stage of fitness and physique wont be helpful. When i say rounding your shoulders i mean at the top when you lock out you also lift up your shoulders nothing should move from A to B except your arms up to right before lockout and back down, squeezing the chest the whole time. See what you are doing is just lifting the weight, you are not connecting to it and feeling that mind muscle connection on every rep for every set. Just lifting up and down will yield little to no results. You need to learn how to squeeze and feel the muscle you are working on for every rep.
Passive Jay @Passive Jay think of the squeeze as simply flexing the muscle you're primarily hitting during the rep. so on a bicep curl I focus on the stretch of the bicep on the way down & the squeeze of the bicep on the way up. the pump will be much better & the gains will come faster

Last edited:

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
ok good to know. do you think I should change from the 5x3 method for everything or just curls?

righthook

Mar 21, 2016
ok good to know. do you think I should change from the 5x3 method for everything or just curls?
personally, I rarely do less than 8 reps for anything on purpose, the exceptions are mostly for compound lifts or when my ego acts up, but all rep ranges have their place. If you're trying to put on muscle, 8-12 reps seems to work the best for the most amount of ppl, it's certainly worked best for me, this goes into why The Rep Range That Builds the Most Amount of Muscle

keep your muscles confused, don't do the same # of reps each day. the longer you lift, if you keep doing the same # of reps, you're going to find it takes much longer to make gains in size & strength

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
my ego does not want me to drop weight. think it would be ok to just keep the weight the same and add reps until i am up to 8-12 before I add weight?

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
my ego does not want me to drop weight. think it would be ok to just keep the weight the same and add reps until i am up to 8-12 before I add weight?
My man if i can just add some perspective to this. You are super super skinny with no real muscle yet, so the way you are lifting isnt going to get you anywhere. 8-12 reps still wont get you anywhere. Try bench pressing weight that you can do 40 reps with and do 40-30-20-15 and then come back to me.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
My man if i can just add some perspective to this. You are super super skinny with no real muscle yet, so the way you are lifting isnt going to get you anywhere. 8-12 reps still wont get you anywhere. Try bench pressing weight that you can do 40 reps with and do 40-30-20-15 and then come back to me.
I wont argue with you since you obviously know what you are doing (I have seen the pictures) but that is WAY different advice than I have gotten so far. Would you recommend that for all of my lifts or just bench press?

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
I wont argue with you since you obviously know what you are doing (I have seen the pictures) but that is WAY different advice than I have gotten so far. Would you recommend that for all of my lifts or just bench press?
Of course its different advice, because its not the "norm". To really build muscle you need to do just that BUILD it, but you cant just start lifting and go from A-Z. You need to build a foundation. You need to learn your body, get stronger by achieving certain things while lifting, and your body needs to be able to have a starting point to build from. Lets start with bench press. You lift the bar 40 times no problem ok cool then you put a pair of 25s on each side and do it for 30 reps, then maybe put a 10 on and get it for 20 reps and then another 5 or 10 lbs for 15 reps. NOW once you start pressing all these weights pretty easily now your body says you are ready to take it up a notch. Go slow, learn your body and how it responds to certain things. Dont forget one thing your body has NO IDEA, NO IDEA what 8 reps is or 12 reps it knows when it is being pushed.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
that makes sense. back in july when I started lifting I was doing 3 sets of 5 with 90lbs (i was even weaker than I am now), I thought almost doubling that in 8 months was an indication that I was making progress but you are saying that if I would have done less weight and more reps i would have had better results.

Honestly I like your ideas, less weight means less chance of injury!

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
that makes sense. back in july when I started lifting I was doing 3 sets of 5 with 90lbs (i was even weaker than I am now), I thought almost doubling that in 8 months was an indication that I was making progress but you are saying that if I would have done less weight and more reps i would have had better results.

Honestly I like your ideas, less weight means less chance of injury!
Not even just injury but it gives your muscles time to grow and adapt and look the way they should.

Listen if youre a powerlifter then fine go in there lift as much as you want and kill it.

If you want to look like a bodybuilder in the sense of being complete then you need to do what i am saying so that your muscles will eventually look like they SHOULD be lifting the weight you are lifting. If some guy off the street can walk into the gym and bench 225 for 15-20 reps, awesome it means he is strong but if he doesnt look the part then so what? You think people on the beach will walk up to a skinny kid and say bro you look like you can bench 300 lbs!! lol nope. I get asked all the time how much i bench and then the person will say i bet you bench X amount and i laugh because im not a super strong bencher but my body sure looks like it is you know. The most i fuck with these days is 275 for reps 315 if im feeling strong but that is it.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
ahhh! makes sense. of course I want to be strong but my first goal is to not look like skinny weak fucker.

tomorrow is cardio day but thurday is my overhead press, deadlift, triceps and reverse curls for forearms, I will try your method and see what happens.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
ahhh! makes sense. of course I want to be strong but my first goal is to not look like skinny weak fucker.

tomorrow is cardio day but thurday is my overhead press, deadlift, triceps and reverse curls for forearms, I will try your method and see what happens.
Man if you gave me 6 months with diet and training i could have you looking like a totally different person.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
diet would be the hard part. I struggle with eating enough, much less eating healthy. I do not eat any "empty" calories, so no soda, cookies, chips, stuff like that, but otherwise I eat fairly crappy... lots of pizza.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
diet would be the hard part. I struggle with eating enough, much less eating healthy. I do not eat any "empty" calories, so no soda, cookies, chips, stuff like that, but otherwise I eat fairly crappy... lots of pizza.
That's actually ok for a bulking phase starting out how you look

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
well i am willing to listen to advice if you are willing to give it!

I currently take a weight gainer shake in the morning to try to keep my calorie intake up.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
No need for the hack squats then. Save your back

really? I felt like it worked my legs more than the hex bar deadlifts did. I wonder what exercise i should do instead. I get up at the same time every morning so that I will have time to workout before I head out to my job. So i might as well fill the time with something

My current routine is overhead press, hex bar deadlift, bent over rows, tricep extensions, and reverse curls one day, then bench press, hack squats, curls, and pull ups the next day. then cardio on day three, then repeat!

If i dropped hack squats what would you have me do with the extra time? does not have to be leg focused. just something.