General New poll shows Trump with 36% approval among black Americans

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MachidaKarate

Aug 4, 2018
36%? No way. I don't believe it.

However, according to this article from USA Today, other polls, while showing more modest approval ratings, still show gains among the black community.

I think that swaying minority voters may be key for a win in 2020. Republicans are going to have to break this religious-like devotion that minorities have to the Democratic party.

Even as cable news networks debate reports of the existence of a recording of President Donald Trump using a racial slur, a new poll from Rasmussen Reports says that the president's approval rating among African-Americans is at 36 percent, nearly double his support at this time last year.

"Today's @realDonaldTrump approval ratings among black voters: 36%," Rasmussen said in a tweet. "This day last year: 19%."

That is a staggeringly high number for a man who only won 8 percent of the African-American vote in 2016.

It is even more unexpected given the president's rocky history on matters related to race, including his current nasty feud with former White House aide Omarosa Manigault Newman, who has alleged Trump said "n word" on the set of the reality-TV show "The Apprentice."

Conservatives celebrated the poll as a sign of trouble for Democrats in upcoming elections.

Charlie Kirk, the founder of the conservative campus group Turning Point USA, cited the poll as evidence that Trump "is breaking the Democrat party as we know it."

But other polls have also shown an increase in support for Trump among African-Americans – albeit a more modest increase than Rasmussen found.

An NAACP poll released on Aug. 7 found that Trump's approval rating was at 21 percent. And a survey conducted by the Pew Research Center in June found Trump's approval rating among blacks at 14 percent.

Although a vast majority of African-Americans still disapprove of Trump's job as president, those numbers represent an improvement from his share of the vote in 2016. No Republican presidential candidate has done better than 12 percent among blacks since Bob Dole in 1996, according to Cornell University's Roper Center.

Trump proudly and frequently cites the current low unemployment figures among African-Americans as a reason voters from that demographic should support him. On Friday, Trump cited those numbers in a tweet in which he also said he was "honored" to have the support of musician Kanye West.

In May, Trump boasted to a crowd at a National Rifle Association convention that West's endorsement had doubled his percentage of African-American supporters after a Reuters poll showed it went from 11 to 22 percent in one week.

"Kanye West must have some power because you probably have saw I doubled my African-American poll numbers," Trump said. "Thank you, Kanye!"
Trump at 36 percent approval among African-Americans, new poll finds

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Rasmussen is a conservative polling operation that typically puts out hot take results based on dubious survey items. Here's a decent breakdown of some of their problems by Nate Silver.

Is Rasmussen Reports Biased?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
This is about as accurate as Hillary saying that Texas is in play in 2016.At some point you just know it's not true if you're on the ground.

MachidaKarate

Aug 4, 2018
Rasmussen is a conservative polling operation that typically puts out hot take results based on dubious survey items. Here's a decent breakdown of some of their problems by Nate Silver.

Is Rasmussen Reports Biased?
This is about as accurate as Hillary saying that Texas is in play in 2016.At some point you just know it's not true if you're on the ground.
As I said in the OP, I don't believe it but it's interesting that other polls (even one from the NAACP) show that Trump is gaining ground with black Americans, even if the strides are more modest than this poll would have us believe.

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I work pretty closely with about 10 black guys. They all live in different parts of the country, and they all like Trump. All of them have college degrees. Not a scientific poll, but it is interesting.

MachidaKarate

Aug 4, 2018
I work pretty closely with about 10 black guys. They all live in different parts of the country, and they all like Trump. All of them have college degrees. Not a scientific poll, but it is interesting.
That's interesting.

I hope more black folks realize they don't have to vote Democrat just because they're black.

People like Larry Elder and Candace Owens give me hope.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Not the truth OP wanted, but the truth OP needed.
Well done, BatSplint.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Meanwhile, in the real world, the actual polling results are: Gallup 13%; Ipsos/Reuters 13%; Civiqs 6%; YouGov/Economist 13%; Quinnipiac 9%

But keep spreading Ya'll's fake news...

M

member 3289

I work with 25 black people of various ages. They're from all across the country. Every one of them thinks Trump is a tard and an embarrassment.

We get along great.

MachidaKarate

Aug 4, 2018
Yes.
If you "don't believe it", why'd you waste valuable internet space posting it?
First, sorry for taking up so much valuable Internet space. My bad on that one.

But as I mentioned, what's most interesting is that even in other polls that report more modest gains, Trump is still gaining ground.

You gotta look at the whole story, homey. Not just the headline.

M

member 3289

First, sorry for taking up so much valuable Internet space. My bad on that one.

But as I mentioned, what's most interesting is that even in other polls that report more modest gains, Trump is still gaining ground.

You gotta look at the whole story, homey. Not just the headline.
You're trying to push a narrative that is simply false

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
remember when polls said hillary had a 99% chance of winning the election

Judobill

First 100
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Meanwhile, in the real world, the actual polling results are: Gallup 13%; Ipsos/Reuters 13%; Civiqs 6%; YouGov/Economist 13%; Quinnipiac 9%

But keep spreading Ya'll's fake news...

Didn’t all of these same pollsters say that Hillary would be the President right now?

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Didn’t all of these same pollsters say that Hillary would be the President right now?
No they didn't.
They said she would win with a +/- 3% margin of error.
She "lost" within that margin.
Are you familiar with statistics, or should I explain further?:)

M

member 3289

MachidaKarate

Aug 4, 2018
Inconclusive at best. I live in a heavily democratic area but I can honestly tell you that I don't know one black person who likes or approves of Trump.

I'm gonna need to see more evidence before I take this seriously.
I can understand your skepticism.

Though I would say don't neglect the Kanye effect. When someone as influential as Kanye West comes out and says, "Hey guys, it's okay to like Donald Trump," you have to think that will have some kind of impact. That's just how people are.