New PT tomorrow

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

BJTT_Kiwi

My member is more well known than yours
Jun 25, 2015
Hey all - first post on this part of the forum.

I'm back to picking up heavy things up and putting them down again, after a bit of a break to heal some injuries.
Decided to grab a PT for 8 weeks to get on track straight away, and get a new program done.

Will post the program tomorrow when I get my hands on it.
I know there are some smart people here, so please let me know what you think about what SHE has put together.

Chur

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
What are her qualifications/experience?

How much has that cost?

What kind of training will you be doing?

How many times per week will you train with her?

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
What are her qualifications/experience?

How much has that cost?

What kind of training will you be doing?

How many times per week will you train with her?
Certified PT - didn't pay too much attention to grades/levels.
$165 per week over 8 weeks
Full body mobility, basic strength - had shoulder, knee, back injuries.
3x per week, 1 hr sessions

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
Height 183, weight 89kg.
Happy with weight, but wouldn't mind dropping a bit - more interested in shape & measurements.

Warm up - meh, won't bother listing this.

Day 1 of 3 (4 set, 6-10 reps):
Front Squat
Single arm DB row
Romanian Deadlift
Barbell floor press
Wide neutral grip lat pull downs
Standing landmines

Day 2 of 3:
Front foot elevated DB split squat
Bentover reverse flys
DB bench press
Barbell bentover row
Seated single arm DB shoulder press
Back extension

Day 3 of 3:
Conventional Deadlift
Close grip push up
Leg press
Bentover DB row
Tall kneeling Palof press
Lying EZ bar tricep extension

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Certified PT - didn't pay too much attention to grades/levels.
$165 per week over 8 weeks
Full body mobility, basic strength - had shoulder, knee, back injuries.
3x per week, 1 hr sessions
Sounds good. Man, mobility is so overlooked! Good to hear that someone is focusing on this area.

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
How did you get on? Fell good? The programming make sense?
Yeah it was fun. Good banter, mainly form focussed instead of going heavy.
Hammys are a bit sore today from deads, but in a good way.
Still not entirely sold on the program making sense, but we haven't gone through the whole thing yet so I will reserve judgement.
For example - single arm DB row, barbell bentover row, bentover DB row - overkill much?

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Still not entirely sold on the program making sense, but we haven't gone through the whole thing yet so I will reserve judgement.
For example - single arm DB row, barbell bentover row, bentover DB row - overkill much?
Yeah I see your point. But is each movement done heavy, moderate, light etc?

You might need a ton of work on your posterior chain, hence the volume.

What made you go with a woman? I know a few women who are PT's, damn good as well. They seem to have better "tricks" to move weight than their male counterparts. Men, most of the time, seem to bulrush a lot of movements. Women, from my experience, seem to not be able to lift as heavy so they embody the "more than one way to skin a cat" thing when it comes to lifting.

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
Yeah I see your point. But is each movement done heavy, moderate, light etc?

You might need a ton of work on your posterior chain, hence the volume.

What made you go with a woman? I know a few women who are PT's, damn good as well. They seem to have better "tricks" to move weight than their male counterparts. Men, most of the time, seem to bulrush a lot of movements. Women, from my experience, seem to not be able to lift as heavy so they embody the "more than one way to skin a cat" thing when it comes to lifting.
Yeah maybe, but then I'm confused about front squats. Just squat properly.

This is the 4th PT that I've used over the years. 2 guys, 2 girls.
The 2 guys were all about heavy, and supersets. Male pride gets in the way of form too, and at this stage "I'm not out to break records".
One woman was an ex Russian rower, who should have been a dude. She was fucking brutal to train with, and would kill me in 30 mins - but had no structure or goals or program, and that pissed me off a bit.
This new one seems pretty cool. She is younger, and really focusses on form. One session down, fifteen to go.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Yeah maybe, but then I'm confused about front squats. Just squat properly.

This is the 4th PT that I've used over the years. 2 guys, 2 girls.
The 2 guys were all about heavy, and supersets. Male pride gets in the way of form too, and at this stage "I'm not out to break records".
One woman was an ex Russian rower, who should have been a dude. She was fucking brutal to train with, and would kill me in 30 mins - but had no structure or goals or program, and that pissed me off a bit.
This new one seems pretty cool. She is younger, and really focusses on form. One session down, fifteen to go.
Doing a back squat AND a dead-lift in one set would leave you smoked. Front squats are less stressful overall than back squats.

Yeah, that's a BIG component of training which gets overlooked by PT's - periodisation.

I know a guy who will ALWAYS do Met-Con workouts, no hypertrophy. Well, hardly any. That works if you're a CF'er or need massive amounts of fat loss. If not, it's useless.

16 sessions? There SHOULD be some form of periodisation, just like there would be if you was 8-16 weeks from a fight.

Is there any of that with this woman?

vermonter

May 15, 2015
Doing a back squat AND a dead-lift in one set would leave you smoked. Front squats are less stressful overall than back squats.

Yeah, that's a BIG component of training which gets overlooked by PT's - periodisation.

I know a guy who will ALWAYS do Met-Con workouts, no hypertrophy. Well, hardly any. That works if you're a CF'er or need massive amounts of fat loss. If not, it's useless.

16 sessions? There SHOULD be some form of periodisation, just like there would be if you was 8-16 weeks from a fight.

Is there any of that with this woman?
She chose front squats because she has a quad-dominant and a hamstring/low back-dominant exercise in each workout for balance.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
No not at all. The back is a huge body part and you need to hit it from various angles.

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
Well, successfully through the first week and heading into week 2.
Lat pull downs, split squats and triceps are definitely weak points. Should be sorted in a few weeks I hope.
Going well on the rest, and will enjoy the easy gains before the inevitable plateau.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Well, successfully through the first week and heading into week 2.
Lat pull downs, split squats and triceps are definitely weak points. Should be sorted in a few weeks I hope.
Going well on the rest, and will enjoy the easy gains before the inevitable plateau.
On those movements TRY and make the mind/muscle connection. Try not to use force, but the actual muscle(s) you are supposed to use.

Once you make that connection it WILL become so much easier AND you will reap the benefits from it.

I know so many people that use their whole body on the Lat Pull. Not cool. SQUEEEEEEEEEZE!

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
I'm actually really enjoying it now.
She keeps my silly male ego in check with heavier weights, and the areas that I'm weak in I try and push harder in (triceps and push ups).
Just got back from a session with her about an hour ago actually, had one yesterday too - and I know it's gonna hurt tomorrow.

I'm still as tall as I was, but am down 3kgs (wake up weight according to my scales at home).
Will have a progress check at the end of next week (4th week) with weight, body fat numbers and progress pics.

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
I'm actually really enjoying it now.
She keeps my silly male ego in check with heavier weights, and the areas that I'm weak in I try and push harder in (triceps and push ups).
Just got back from a session with her about an hour ago actually, had one yesterday too - and I know it's gonna hurt tomorrow.

I'm still as tall as I was, but am down 3kgs (wake up weight according to my scales at home).
Will have a progress check at the end of next week (4th week) with weight, body fat numbers and progress pics.
Well done! Keep at it, buddy.

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
What mobility are you doing? No cardio?
Sorry for the late reply, it's just standard stuff.
Wife is a yoga instructor, so I'm good for a lot of this.

Had a 6 week progress check in.
All measurements are down. Weight is down by a insignificant amount 5lb. Body fat was up?

Feel heaps stronger, clothes fitting perfect.

No cardio.

Last edited:

Combo

Jan 22, 2017
Sorry for the late reply, it's just standard stuff.
Wife is a yoga instructor, so I'm good for a lot of this.

Had a 6 week progress check in.
All measurements are down. Weight is down by a insignificant amount 5lb. Body fat was up?

Feel heaps stronger, clothes fitting perfect.

No cardio.
Good to hear your weight is coming down! You should be dropping some bf, though. Try doing 20 mins of cardio AFTER lifting weights to trim it off.

Keep us updated with your progress, mate. ;-)

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
Do you incorporate any Yoga in your curriculum? Can you put your ankles behind your head? How bout levitation? I've heard it's low impact on the joints and connective tissue-- kinda like swimming on the astral plane. Just kidding. Do you stretch at all? Before or after? Why or why not?

BJTT_Kiwi

Jun 25, 2015
Do you incorporate any Yoga in your curriculum? Can you put your ankles behind your head? How bout levitation? I've heard it's low impact on the joints and connective tissue-- kinda like swimming on the astral plane. Just kidding. Do you stretch at all? Before or after? Why or why not?
Yes, but yoga is in addition to gym work.
Yes, but not both at the same time anymore - Seriously.
Only time I get lifted/levitate is smoking weed.
Stretch in warm up, 1km walk home warm down.

Just started next 6 week program.
Will post it up shortly.