VID New UFC champ Miesha Tate: Baby-minded Rousey 'doesn't sound very motivated'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.
P

Punch

View: http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_8wtnasqg

The first shot has been fired in the trilogy grudge match between Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey, and it has come from the new champion.

Tate (18-5 MMA, 5-2 UFC) this past Saturday put Holly Holm (10-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) to sleep with a rear-naked choke in a fifth-round comeback to win the women’s bantamweight title in the UFC 196 co-main event at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

The win set Tate up for a third fight against former champ Ronda Rousey (12-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) later this year. Rousey submitted Tate with a first-round armbar in 2012 to take her Strikeforce title. Then in late 2013, she submitted her a second time to defend her UFC belt. But this past November, Rousey was knocked out by Holm at UFC 193 and lost her championship in a shocking upset.

On Monday, after telling the “TMZ Sports” syndicated TV show that she was “on top of the world” following her long-awaited title win, Tate said she can’t be sure how soon she’ll fight Rousey for the third time – this time as champion.

“I don’t even know what she’s thinking right now,” Tate told the show. “It seems like her motivation to stick around was to have Travis Browne’s babies, so I don’t know. … That doesn’t sound like a very motivated comeback kind of a fighter in my opinion. Every time I’ve ever lost, my motivation is to get back up on the horse and fight someone again and work my way back to the top.”

This past month, Rousey told host Ellen DeGeneres that she briefly considered suicide after she lost to Holm in Australia before seeing her boyfriend, UFC heavyweight Travis Browne, and realizing she wanted to have children with him.

Prior to UFC 196, UFC President Dana White said the Tate-Holm winner would fight Rousey in a rematch, and he stuck to that plan after the event.

If Tate one day fights Holm again, though, it sounds like it will be a lot different of a rivalry than the one she has with Rousey – which falls under heated at best, and hated at worst.

“(My boyfriend) Bryan (Caraway) and her husband are really good friends, too,” Tate said. “If they lived here, we’d probably be (close). They’re just so nice, just so championship material. … I really respect that woman. She’s amazing. Hopefully she’ll get the message that I’m thankful she stepped in there. She could’ve waited for that fight with Ronda, but she said, ‘No, I want to be an active champion,’ and she has my respect.”

LINK to article: New UFC champ Miesha Tate: Baby-minded Rousey 'doesn't sound very motivated'

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
People forget how bad she looked in her title win.
Maybe, but a wins a win. All that fight proved to me was what we already knew- she was mentally tougher than Ronda ever was. To lose the way Miesha did to Ronda, twice, and to still be able to claw her way back to beating the woman who derailed the Rousey hype train is spectacular.

Last edited:

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
Miesha becoming a UFC Champion was one of the more memorable ones for me. It's rare you see a fighter lose a big fight and find success despite it. Bisping the ultimate example.

I recall Tate/Holm fight being a solid back and forth fight that resulted in Miesha putting Holly to sleep and Holly showed the true champion she was by refusing to tap, literally fighting until the very end. This was the co main of Nate vs Conor 1 in which Conor, who had WAY more hype, tapped out to the same choke Holly went to sleep on.

Holy's stock went up that night
Miesha's stock went up that night
Nate's stock went up that night
Conor's stock dropped.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Miesha becoming a UFC Champion was one of the more memorable ones for me. It's rare you see a fighter lose a big fight and find success despite it. Bisping the ultimate example.

I recall Tate/Holm fight being a solid back and forth fight that resulted in Miesha putting Holly to sleep and Holly showed the true champion she was by refusing to tap, literally fighting until the very end. This was the co main of Nate vs Conor 1 in which Conor, who had WAY more hype, tapped out to the same choke Holly went to sleep on.

Holy's stock went up that night
Miesha's stock went up that night
Nate's stock went up that night
Conor's stock dropped.
How is bisping the ultimate example?

What the fuck are you talking about

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
How is bisping the ultimate example?

What the fuck are you talking about
The context of the conversation is me admiring fighters who can have a tough/humiliating loss in their career, but not let that deter them and they find success after tough loss.

Ronda Rousey being the worst example. As soon as she lost, she quit to never compete again. Hid from interviews. Bisping didn't quit. He went back to training, bit down on his mouthpiece, trained through injuries, didn't listen to the doubters, he went through hell, came back with a detached retna and UFC gold. Bisping's career and what he went through and never gave up, is truly admirable.

What happened to you? You used to be cordial and cool. Now, not so much.

steroid to heaven

Colonize the Sun
Dec 23, 2015
The context of the conversation is me admiring fighters who can have a tough/humiliating loss in their career, but not let that deter them and they find success after tough loss.

Ronda Rousey being the worst example. As soon as she lost, she quit to never compete again. Hid from interviews. , .

ronda fought again after she lost

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Ronda Rousey being the worst example. As soon as she lost, she quit to never compete again. Hid from interviews. Bisping didn't quit. He went back to training, bit down on his mouthpiece, trained through injuries, didn't listen to the doubters, he went through hell, came back with a detached retna and UFC gold. Bisping's career and what he went through and never gave up, is truly admirable.

What happened to you? You used to be cordial and cool. Now, not so much.
This post needs more transparency

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015
"Greatness"
Took an "L" against this...
LoL

Anderson Silva took an L against Ryo Chonnan, GSP took an L against Matt Serra, BJ Penn took an L against Jens Pulver, Jose Aldo took an L against Luciano Azevedo.

So you're saying none of the all time greats are actually great if they ever lost in their career....? Amanda Nunes beat Miesha Tate, Ronda Rousey, and Cris Cyborg. In a row. It's like if someone set up a gauntlet of women we consider to be great mixed martial artist and she came along and wrecked it.