New Workout Experimentation

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Chocolate Shatner

Chief Metallurgist to King Charles V of Spain
Oct 30, 2016
Well, with me moving to Italy in about 2 months, I've had to face a couple of changes in life.

First, I'm giving up my 'playground,' a full 250 kg free weight set with power rack, bars, and a multistation plate loaded machine (the Power Tec machine you see in the magazines). Sad, but that's okay.

On the other hand, the town I'm moving to is a tiny village in Sicily that, from what I can tell, doesn't have a gym at all. So, being the prepared motherfucker I am, I decided to buy something lightweight and transportable that I can use anywhere, as my wife is very interested in living a sort of "Internet Nomad" lifestyle with my son for the next few years.

So... enter the latex (not that, you sick fucks). Two sets of bands, five bands each in varying thickness. I get to spend the next two months experimenting, seeing how to mix them, how to use them in any situation to be able to keep my training going, so this should be a lot of fun.

Hope to keep you retards up to date with it, but today was my first "all band" leg workout, and it was pretty cool. Looping one band over each shoulder, I could put my front foot through the bands and do some pretty good lunges. On the negative, of course, is that at the deepest portion of the movement, the bands provide little to no resistance, but at the top it's quite challenging. We'll have to see how to adjust that, see what other things I can do with them to overcome that issue.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Well, with me moving to Italy in about 2 months, I've had to face a couple of changes in life.

First, I'm giving up my 'playground,' a full 250 kg free weight set with power rack, bars, and a multistation plate loaded machine (the Power Tec machine you see in the magazines). Sad, but that's okay.

On the other hand, the town I'm moving to is a tiny village in Sicily that, from what I can tell, doesn't have a gym at all. So, being the prepared motherfucker I am, I decided to buy something lightweight and transportable that I can use anywhere, as my wife is very interested in living a sort of "Internet Nomad" lifestyle with my son for the next few years.

So... enter the latex (not that, you sick fucks). Two sets of bands, five bands each in varying thickness. I get to spend the next two months experimenting, seeing how to mix them, how to use them in any situation to be able to keep my training going, so this should be a lot of fun.

Hope to keep you retards up to date with it, but today was my first "all band" leg workout, and it was pretty cool. Looping one band over each shoulder, I could put my front foot through the bands and do some pretty good lunges. On the negative, of course, is that at the deepest portion of the movement, the bands provide little to no resistance, but at the top it's quite challenging. We'll have to see how to adjust that, see what other things I can do with them to overcome that issue.
Being creative can be very helpful. I do my workout with bodyweight exercises, which took some thinking.

SlapheadGiraffe

Posting Machine
Jun 21, 2016
Trx push ups and trx dips, which on an unstable surface are 3x harder.
Also good for plank, side plank, and mountain climbers for the same reasons.

Conversely from a pt perspective you can also make hard things slightly easier by putting the feet in for 90 degree decline push ups for those hat can't do handstands.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Trx push ups and trx dips, which on an unstable surface are 3x harder.
Also good for plank, side plank, and mountain climbers for the same reasons.

Conversely from a pt perspective you can also make hard things slightly easier by putting the feet in for 90 degree decline push ups for those hat can't do handstands.
3 times harder is quite a claim and one I reject.

Additionally, being harder doesn't necessarily mean it's more effective.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
3 times harder is quite a claim and one I reject.

Additionally, being harder doesn't necessarily mean it's more effective.
"but but all that instability builds your little joining muscles"

Actual comment I heard from a PT at my old gym, I loled really loud at that one and hopefully he's broke and homeless because of it.

Its amazing what people can be sold on, Carlos Conduit (SP?) was clearly selling something when he started to claim that he was incorporating shit like claiming up a tree and pretending to use a bow and arrow while balancing on a branch "Cause thats what our ancient ancestors did"

No one who buys into this shit would think to question whether our ancient ancestors were hunting for food or training for MMA.

Anyways not to shit on TRX its great in that its portable but as Leigh says there's no real benefit for it over a stable bar.

Eric Lillly can out squat any faggot who squats on swiss balls, controlling for "functionality" of course :)

Edit- I came across as a know it all here and Im not, im just a pleb so take what I say with a grain of salt

Chocolate Shatner

Chief Metallurgist to King Charles V of Spain
Oct 30, 2016
Update #1:

I'm very much liking both the shoulder work and leg workouts. One of the challenges I've had with barbells has been overhead squats, while with the bands, probably because of the way my feet and hands are now 'tied' together, overhead squats are easier balance wise. It's a great way to get the most out of my bands, as I loop the biggest set around my shoulders and feet, while the lighter sets I hold in my hands and keep in an overhead press position. That way, I have some resistance at the bottom, while the top of the squat is challenged from the big bands. Even if I do look like I played 50 Shades of Latex Bands afterwards.

Back workouts are great too, between rows, a nearly infinite combination of pulldowns and pullups, and other more irregular movements. The only thing I'd look for is either a set of rings or a lightweight bar I can slip through as a handle, because holding 4 bands in your hands while you do rows is just wonky when each band is a different width.