Newspaper draws piggy bank to show ISIS funding, Muslim groups attack it as pig is “unislamic”

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Mumbai. Offices of the Marathi newspaper Lokmat witnessed angry protests on Sunday by outraged Muslims who claimed that the newspaper had insulted their faith by publishing a blasphemous picture.

Copies of the newspaper were burnt at various cities in Maharashtra and the protesting men demanded arrest of the editor and the artist who drew the illustration. A couple of offices are reported to have been attacked too, as the editor extended an immediate apology.

One of the various protests organized on Sunday against Lokmat

According to reports, such protests were held at various cities such as Malegaon, Dhule, Nandurbar, etc. in Maharashtra and a campaign – in various cities as well as on thesocial media – is on to boycott the newspaper.

To keep the situation in control, the police has registered cases against the editor and the writer of the article at Aurangabad, Jalna, Pune, Jalgaon, Parbhani and Yavatmal.

The Muslim groups were angry after they found an article published in the Sunday edition of the newspaper. The article explained how the ISIS – the terror group currently ruling parts of Syria and Iraq, and which claimed responsibility for the recent Paris attacks – was receiving money to fund their operations.

The “blasphemous” image (source)

The article also carried an illustration that showed symbols of various national currencies – representing international sources of funding – falling into a piggy bank, which was painted like the ISIS flag i.e. black in color with the terror group’s seal depicted in Arabic script.

Since the piggy bank is supposed to look like a pig, and pig is considered a haraam animal in Islam, the Muslim groups claimed that the illustration was blasphemous, for the ISIS seal has elements of the Islamicshahada.

Piggy bank has been historically used as a popular depiction to show banking and financial activities and it has hardly got anything to do with the actual pig or its ways, however such artistic explanations fell on deaf ears as hundreds of protestors turned up at various offices to burn copies of the newspaper, sending the staff into panic mode.

Political parties also joined in with Dhule unit chief of Samajwadi Party Minority Cell taking the lead and asking Lokmat’s resident editor Milind Kulkarni to publish an apology in the newspaper’s earliest issue. Another organization called All India Momin Conference has called for protests against the newspaper after Friday prayers in in Jalna on December 4.

Ironically, the Malegaon Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) has praised the “peaceful” protests, and expressed concern over the publication of the “blasphemous” caricature. He said that a notice would be sent to the newspaper as early as possible.

Lokmat has apologized (source)

UPDATE: Following these protests and the police cases, the newspaper Lokmat has published an apology and published it on the front page in their Monday editions.

The apology expresses heartfelt regret to the offended groups. It even claims that “action has been taken” against the responsible persons. It doesn’t clarify what action has been taken i.e. if the writer or the artist were removed from the job or awarded some other form of punishment.

It is also not known if the offended groups have decided to withdraw their FIRs and call off their scheduled protests after this apology.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Religion of piece.

What pieces of shit, don't protest ISIS, but protest the image of a piggy bank when discussing ISIS.

Last edited:

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Religion of piece.

What pieces of shit, don't protest ISIS, but protest the image of a piggy back when discussing ISIS.
An image can draw these people on the street protesting furiously, but no such sights regarding the Paris attacks, the Beirut attacks, etc. as their religion once again was "hijacked" in those acts of violence.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
An image can draw these people on the street protesting furiously, but no such sights regarding the Paris attacks, the Beirut attacks, etc. as their religion once again was "hijacked" in those acts of violence.
It's pretty hilarious, and then they wonder why they get the hatred they do.

P

Punch

While guarding detainees in the Hit/Chaldea region, I saw soldiers go out of their way to make sure the detainees got the Jamaican pork chop MRE and nothing else.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
To be fair, I haven't heard or seen a lot of moderate Christians speaking out against the recent Colorado abortion clinic shooting.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Point is, why is one specific group held to a different standard?
Because those are not the ones trampling each other chasing people with axes when a Jesus cartoon appears in the daily newspaper. They are the slacktivist, the Facebook activist. They complain about Reese's Peanut Butter Tree and Star Bucks online. And with this new shooting, they'd do the same thing, call it convenience.

We watch South Park and Family Guy portraying Jesus and everybody lives the next Monday. There is not such word as Christainophobe. So different standard for different people, but it goes both ways. Not my battle though, it is just interesting to me, that hot-headed fanatical attitude in the name of ideology. Name your group, it is there, but some always a bit more extreme.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Because those are not the ones trampling each other chasing people with axes when a Jesus cartoon appears in the daily newspaper. They are the slacktivist, the Facebook activist. They complain about Reese's Peanut Butter Tree and Star Bucks online. And with this new shooting, they'd do the same thing, call it convenience.

We watch South Park and Family Guy portraying Jesus and everybody lives the next Monday. There is not such word as Christainophobe. So different standard for different people, but it goes both ways. Not my battle though, it is just interesting to me, that hot-headed fanatical attitude in the name of ideology. Name your group, it is there, but some always a bit more extreme.
So you expect that Muslims would openly denounce violence in the name of religion, but it's okay for Christians to do nothing, because Facebook?

This happened on Friday. : http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/27/police-respond-to-active-shooter-at-planned-parenthood-clinic-in-colorado-springs

Where's the American and Christian outrage that we expect of Middle Easterners and Muslims? Is it because Americans actually support what happened? Or is it because it's absurd to expect someone to apologize for something they had nothing to do with?

M

member 3289

Someone should protest against Islam for not allowing its adherents to eat pork.

Pork is fucking delicious.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Someone should protest against Islam for not allowing its adherents to eat pork.

Pork is fucking delicious.
To me its one of the scariest aspects of the religion. If Muslims, and Jews for that matter, won't acknowledge that scientifically it's perfectly safe to eat pork and that the thousands of year old book is out of date. What other facts are they prepared to simply ignore?

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
So you expect that Muslims would openly denounce violence in the name of religion, but it's okay for Christians to do nothing, because Facebook?

This happened on Friday. : http://www.torontosun.com/2015/11/27/police-respond-to-active-shooter-at-planned-parenthood-clinic-in-colorado-springs

Where's the American and Christian outrage that we expect of Middle Easterners and Muslims? Is it because Americans actually support what happened? Or is it because it's absurd to expect someone to apologize for something they had nothing to do with?
They don't have to apologize at all, who is asking this?

Just don't go on the streets, enraged, over a silly cartoon in the name of Islam. Isis is doing much worse to the name of Islam, or so they claim.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
It's fairly amazing to me how after we were blatantly lied to by news media and the state department over Benghazi that we can just swallow any account of actions by Muslims without context. It speaks to xenophobia in its purest form. They are the other. What they do makes no sense. They're crazy.

Maharashtra is one of the most politically active regions in India with protests occurring nearly weekly. The Jains were on the warpath aa couple months ago and several political party members hit the streets only recently. The publisher of Lokmat, Nikhil Wagle is a pretty well known pot stirrer who once had a political party leader invade his office to slap him in the mouth so there is the very real likelihood that he knew exactly what he was printing and didn't just innocently use a piggybank. The protests were peaceful according to all accounts out of India and the protestors denounced ISIS and terrorism in general while making their point. There are no accounts of an "attack."

Something else to take into account is that India has anti-blasphemy laws that we don't exactly have anologues for in many parts of the West. Namely this from the penal code:

Section 295-A: Whoever, with deliberate and malicious intention of outraging the religious feelings of any class of citizens of India, by words, either spoken or written, or by signs or by visible representations or otherwise, insults or attempts to insult the religion or the religious beliefs of that class, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.
That said, any restriction on speech is deeply troubling to me, as is the notion that blasphemy laws even exist, but that is of course from my Western point of view.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
To provide a western analogy, I guess this would be like someone printing a picture of the KKK insignia on a rainbow and Christians protesting because a rainbow is a sign of gay pride and the KKK insignia has a cross and homosexuality is frowned upon in Christianity.

That's the level of stupid we're dealing with here, right?

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
They don't have to apologize at all, who is asking this?

Just don't go on the streets, enraged, over a silly cartoon in the name of Islam. Isis is doing much worse to the name of Islam, or so they claim.
Maybe you don't realize it, but you're actually doing it in that post. There are idiots all over the world. In America they might bitch about stupid shit in a different way than they do in Asia, but they still very publicly bitch about stupid shit. The same people, both sides of the ocean, are conspicuously absent when something major actually happens.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Maybe you don't realize it, but you're actually doing it in that post. There are idiots all over the world. In America they might bitch about stupid shit in a different way than they do in Asia, but they still very publicly bitch about stupid shit. The same people, both sides of the ocean, are conspicuously absent when something major actually happens.
No I am not. I am not asking anyone to apologize.

I just wonder why they are all laid back when Islam is misused for terrorism by Isis, and a silly little cartoon sends them over the edge. It is fanaticism that is ignored until more deaths will occur.

While other religions may have their problems, and not without victims, it is not comparable with Islam. They stand out as violent, irratic, and have an extremely low tolerance for people different than them. You really want to compare? You are gay in US, you may not get served, you may be called queer. Over there, you get tossed off a building or stoned to death. But that's just a minor difference right?

Keep ignoring the fanaticism, the anger, the violence. Keep on being the hipster contrarian. Until it hits home. Who is the real idiot.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
No I am not. I am not asking anyone to apologize.

I just wonder why they are all laid back when Islam is misused for terrorism by Isis, and a silly little cartoon sends them over the edge. It is fanaticism that is ignored until more deaths will occur.

While other religions may have their problems, and not without victims, it is not comparable with Islam. They stand out as violent, irratic, and have an extremely low tolerance for people different than them. You really want to compare? You are gay in US, you may not get served, you may be called queer. Over there, you get tossed off a building or stoned to death. But that's just a minor difference right?

Keep ignoring the fanaticism, the anger, the violence. Keep on being the hipster contrarian. Until it hits home. Who is the real idiot.
Be very careful tossing stones from behind a monitor. It's hit a lot closer to home for me than it has most. I simply acknowledge that I live in a place where Muslim outrage, and violence is much more widely publicized than outrage, and violence put forth by white people.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015
Meanwhile hindu and Buddhist india has the piss taken out of their faiths all the time and lol along.

The trick with religions is to not take that shit too seriously. As one of my catholic Brother teachers said to me once when I tried debating him "son this could all be bullshit" whilst pointing to his bible.

Buff Bagginz

NO KNOWN WEAKNESSES
Nov 13, 2015
It's a religion for savages. They've been waging war since it's inception. Savage despicable people.

Lord Vutulaki

Banned
Jan 16, 2015

Lets not forget that Islam is 500 years younger than Christianity so if we compare the way SOME muslims behave today with how SOME Christians behaved 500 years ago its pretty much same same. Islam hasnt had a chance to go through the reformation Christianity has.

Look at the 3 oldest religions, Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism there followers by and large are a peaceful bunch save for the millions of Muslims hindus have killed in India haha