Next trial - swimming + running

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Final update: had my match, went to a draw. Cardio wasn't an issue but it wasn't a face paced match. Still not sure exactly what my RHR is, due to not having much rest. It doesn't seem to be lower than just doing 2 cardio sessions.

I don't think I'll do 3 x 1hr cardio sessions per week in future. It definitely impacted my ability to get in lots of sparring rounds and impeded my recovery. Additionally, my cardio sessions were maybe too low paced, due to being worn out. I think 2 decent 1hr sessions would be better for me as a competitor.

Last edited:

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Leigh @Leigh how did you calculate your target heart rate for your cardio workouts? Past experience, the typical age based HR targets, or something else?

I am trying to get more scientific about my cardio training and am looking for some advice from actual experience to supplement the book knowledge.

Thanks in advance

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Leigh @Leigh how did you calculate your target heart rate for your cardio workouts? Past experience, the typical age based HR targets, or something else?

I am trying to get more scientific about my cardio training and am looking for some advice from actual experience to supplement the book knowledge.

Thanks in advance
Based on work by Joel Jamieson, s&C coach to lots of fighters from Matt Hume, including Mighty Mouse. He has studied loads of athletes, so I don't have to :)

And yes, past experience as well.

SC MMA MD

TMMAC Addict
Jan 20, 2015
Leigh @Leigh did you work with him directly and he gave you that target; or is it based on a paper or book that he wrote and you calculated it yourself?

Leigh

Engineer
Pro Fighter
Jan 26, 2015
Leigh @Leigh did you work with him directly and he gave you that target; or is it based on a paper or book that he wrote and you calculated it yourself?
He was/is very interactive on his forum, so could chat there. I also bought his book, which lays it all out.

mko

Nov 19, 2015
I've gone back to swimming too on top of running and cycling. I'd like to do some triathlons in the future, nothing fancy, just basic roadwork and then competition, so I have to relearn how to actually swim.

I'll start grappling/wrestling again soon, but I intend to focus more on cardio/grappling and just maintain my lowly muscle mass with a single BW workout a week. My RHR at morning is at 48, lowest it's ever been but I've also lost size.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
Damn just came across this thread 2 years too late. Very interesting as usual Leigh @Leigh

I've lost quite a lot of motivation this year. Barely worked out and ran. I just don't have the time and energy since I'm responsible for my kids sports activities. They take time that I used to have for the gym. I just don't feel like working out/running at 9/10pm and having to wake up at 6.
I guess I'll have to sandwich workout sessions during my lunch time at work.
Sorry for the vent.

So... I just ran a 10km race this past weekend despite almost not running at all. Said f... it and finished at 57 min mark. I can tell I'm not training enough : the race time is an obvious indication but my recuperation sucked ass. 10k usually meant no much effort but with no training I've felt like tired/crap and sore. Oh well

On the upside : my boy ran a 2 km race non-stop with no water stops. He only slowed down to allow me to catch up with him. The lil devil can run and he's only 6. Lol. Says he wants to do 5 and 10 km races with me in the future. Awesome.

My little girl is 3 and ran/walked her First 1km. With her Barbie doll. Lmao.