Ngannou vs Stipe 2

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
Stipe is going to go nearly 5 years without fighting someone not named Ngannou or Cormier once he takes his traditional year off after this fight. He could make it 6 if Francis wins and they do a trilogy of that too.

This will match the near 5-year run that Cain Velasquez went on when he only fought JDS and Bigfoot. But that run wasn't even as bad as Stipe's though, because JDS managed to fit in a defence against someone else, unlike Cormier.

It's fucking incredible how the UFC can jam up the HW division with rematches and sanctioned inactivity.

M

member 3289

Stipe is going to go nearly 5 years without fighting someone not named Ngannou or Cormier once he takes his traditional year off after this fight. He could make it 6 if Francis wins and they do a trilogy of that too.

This will match the near 5-year run that Cain Velasquez went on when he only fought JDS and Bigfoot. But that run wasn't even as bad as Stipe's though, because JDS managed to fit in a defence against someone else, unlike Cormier.

It's fucking incredible how the UFC can jam up the HW division with rematches and sanctioned inactivity.
DC defended against Derrick Lewis. The rest of what you said is accurate.

In terms of this fight, I honestly haven't seen anything from Ngannou that leads me to believe the second fight is going to end any differently than the first.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
DC defended against Derrick Lewis. The rest of what you said is accurate.

In terms of this fight, I honestly haven't seen anything from Ngannou that leads me to believe the second fight is going to end any differently than the first.
It seems I'm like everyone else and forget that Lewis fight ever happened. But the point about Cain and Stipe stays the same.

I favour Stipe too but the equation stays the same. Stipe needs to weather that early storm and there's far from a guarantee that he will.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Stipe lucky Stefan struve retired. He woulda whoop that ass again

M

member 3289

It seems I'm like everyone else and forget that Lewis fight ever happened. But the point about Cain and Stipe stays the same.

I favour Stipe too but the equation stays the same. Stipe needs to weather that early storm and there's far from a guarantee that he will.
Hopefully Gane wins tonight. Him vs Stipe or Francis would be great.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015

It's pretty easy to do when you have a division that only ever has 2 or 3 viable contenders at any given time.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
It's pretty easy to do when you have a division that only ever has 2 or 3 viable contenders at any given time.
Define 'viable'.

Yes, the UFC system is largely designed around inactive champions, whereby they get contenders to eliminate each other, creating essentially uncrowned junior champions that are deemed viable. But this isn't how legendary divisional champions in boxing historically operated.

Cleaning out divisions means personally cleaning them out, not waiting for other guys to clean them out and claiming that by virtue of MMA math that you've done it. Mighty Mouse and Anderson did this - if the best available fight is Ray Borg or Travis Lutter, then so be it.

Blaydes, Lewis, Volkov and now Gane all present viable threats and Stipe has fought none of them. Lewis even beat Ngannou, so that even cancels out the silly MMA math-based way they try to justify inactive champions avoiding contenders in this case.

You can't seriously justify that Stipe should only fight 2 guys in 5 or 6 years to maintain his belt. He has only fought two guys currently ranked in the UFC top 10, one of whom is on his way out the door. There are plenty of people he could fight to stay active.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Define 'viable'.

Yes, the UFC system is largely designed around inactive champions, whereby they get contenders to eliminate each other, creating essentially uncrowned junior champions that are deemed viable. But this isn't how legendary divisional champions in boxing historically operated.

Cleaning out divisions means personally cleaning them out, not waiting for other guys to clean them out and claiming that by virtue of MMA math that you've done it. Mighty Mouse and Anderson did this - if the best available fight is Ray Borg or Travis Lutter, then so be it.

Blaydes, Lewis, Volkov and now Gane all present viable threats and Stipe has fought none of them. Lewis even beat Ngannou, so that even cancels out the silly MMA math-based way they try to justify inactive champions avoiding contenders in this case.

You can't seriously justify that Stipe should only fight 2 guys in 5 or 6 years to maintain his belt. He has only fought two guys currently ranked in the UFC top 10, one of whom is on his way out the door. There are plenty of people he could fight to stay active.
Typically a decently run organization isn't going to give title fights to people coming off losses. Blaydes just got his head smashed in so he's out. So we've got Ngannou in the next title fight on a long series of wins and we've got Lewis, Volkov and Gane in waiting. 2 of those guys will likely fight leaving the loser back on the outside looking in. My guess would be Volkov. I enjoy his fights but I don't agree he's really a "contender". His spotty record screams gatekeeper to me, but time will tell.

It's also worth noting that I was mostly pointing how hilariously thin the HW division is.

Last edited:

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Stipe’s disciplined execution of an incredibly strategic plan in their first fight was so impressive but Franny can put the lights out for any human on the planet. I hope the rematch looks just like the first, but that power is such an equalizer that even with Stipe being a better/more accomplished martial artist he is up against the clock before an inevitable KO shot lands. He already went 25min so time is ticking.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I keep saying it but... this is EXACTLY why there should be no standing champions in MMA just like in tennis and nearly every other sport on earth besides boxing.

There should be yearly tourneys and if you can make the tourney great, if you are hurt or you want to fight once a year then.....oh well. Someone else will get paid and win that year's championship and if you miss a couple you become irrelevant...

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I keep saying it but... this is EXACTLY why there should be no standing champions in MMA just like in tennis and nearly every other sport on earth besides boxing.
You realize boxing is far closer to MMA than any other sport, right?

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
I was talking about sports that large groups of people actually watch and have large budgets.
From the top of my head I dunno any other popular sport that does it like that tho.
And frankly, the boxing system is crap and it's titles hold little value. Not for nothing they actually began to hold tournaments recently, as much as the many hands grabbing for money in that sport would allow em at least.

Arguably boxing has been in decline for decades now, Tyson being a cushion in between.

I know you are a fake wrestling fan and there the titles and fights are equally handled, so you might have an affinity towards that. But others do not.

It seems to me that what the three connects is that more than other sports they need storylines and characters to win eyes and make their system appealing. Which will always have its ups and downs, but in the end in my opinion is worse for the sport as a whole.
We cannot truly know, but I think a clear cut steady system with an independent association would be better for the fighters, viewers, and the sport itself in both boxing and mma.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
From the top of my head I dunno any other popular sport that does it like that tho.
And frankly, the boxing system is crap and it's titles hold little value. Not for nothing they actually began to hold tournaments recently, as much as the many hands grabbing for money in that sport would allow em at least.

Arguably boxing has been in decline for decades now, Tyson being a cushion in between.

I know you are a fake wrestling fan and there the titles and fights are equally handled, so you might have an affinity towards that. But others do not.

It seems to me that what the three connects is that more than other sports they need storylines and characters to win eyes and make their system appealing. Which will always have its ups and downs, but in the end in my opinion is worse for the sport as a whole.
We cannot truly know, but I think a clear cut steady system with an independent association would be better for the fighters, viewers, and the sport itself in both boxing and mma.
With individual sports where the amount of competition an individual can realistically participate in is finite, titles make the most sense. I like the idea of tournament's, but in a combat sport a tournament played out over a long period is rarely going to tell you who the best fighter is. That's also ignoring that the vast majority of fighters are going to starve to death and the level of talent will fall off a cliff.

Lol@ "Fake wrestling"

Qat

QoQ
Nov 3, 2015
With individual sports where the amount of competition an individual can realistically participate in is finite, titles make the most sense.
This doesn't change if the titles have to be won each year.
Now agreed it would probably favour fighters with longer shelve - life, so to speak. But managing that is a skill in itself. So I don't see it as being better or worse, just a little different.
Also it would create more equal opportunities.
I like the idea of tournament's, but in a combat sport a tournament played out over a long period is rarely going to tell you who the best fighter is.
This argument goes both ways.
Is the best the one who had his opponents, dates and venues chosen and wins a fight every 2 years, or is it one that climbs his way to the top year after year? I'd say the latter will give a clearer picture overall.
That's also ignoring that the vast majority of fighters are going to starve to death
Why?
and the level of talent will fall off a cliff.
Why?
This better be a compelling argument seeing as boxing is thin as fuck right now and the biggest mma stars are Ronda, Brock and Mcgregor. Which combined only win in the last 4,5 years is Cerrone.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
This doesn't change if the titles have to be won each year.
Now agreed it would probably favour fighters with longer shelve - life, so to speak. But managing that is a skill in itself. So I don't see it as being better or worse, just a little different.
Also it would create more equal opportunities.
No. What he's proposing means if you get hurt before one of your fights or for some reason you can't fight (ie, got hurt in your last fight) You're done for the year.

The beat fighter is the one who beats the best competition. Tournaments minimize how often you fight top flight competition.

The statements about talent level and starvation are because fighters are paid per fight and on fight profile. If you fight in the HW tournament and lose in the first round you're going to have to go get a job to pay your bills. That's not good for advancing skill in a sport.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
No. What he's proposing means if you get hurt before one of your fights or for some reason you can't fight (ie, got hurt in your last fight) You're done for the year.

The beat fighter is the one who beats the best competition. Tournaments minimize how often you fight top flight competition.

The statements about talent level and starvation are because fighters are paid per fight and on fight profile. If you fight in the HW tournament and lose in the first round you're going to have to go get a job to pay your bills. That's not good for advancing skill in a sport.
I assume you never saw PRIDE or K-1 because you don't seem to understand what is being discussed.......

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
You realize that boxing champs exist solely because of carney promoters looking to control their industry and it has nothing to do with the actual sport, right?
Yes.

I assume you never saw PRIDE or K-1 because you don't seem to understand what is being discussed.......
I watched a lot of PRIDE. I'm addressing the idea as presented by you. PRIDE was also a horrible business model so I'm not sure why you'd think that makes a good template for how to run a sport. MMA tournaments flat out don't work.

Haulport

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Yes.

I watched a lot of PRIDE. I'm addressing the idea as presented by you. PRIDE was also a horrible business model so I'm not sure why you'd think that makes a good template for how to run a sport. MMA tournaments flat out don't work.
How exactly was it a horrible business model? Considering they were filling Saitama super arena on a regular basis and the only thing that hurt them was an internal Yukuza struggle that turned public and stripped them of their tv contracts, I'd say you are again speaking about things you have very little information about...