NHL playoff beards should be razored, says NBC Sports

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

The growing of playoff beards is one of hockey's great traditions, with whiskers getting longer as players survive deeper into the Stanley Cup tournament each spring.

The tradition dates back at least to the Islanders' championship teams of the early 1980s. Playoff beards have become so ingrained in the game's culture that most players don't dare shave until their teams are eliminated, regardless of their ability to grow facial hair (see: Sidney Crosby).

Some superstitious fans even ditch their own razors in support of their favourite teams.

The head of NBC Sports, though, doesn't think playoff beards are good for the game.

"The players won't like this, but I wish they all would stop growing beards in the post-season," Mark Lazarus, whose network is broadcasting the Stanley Cup final in the U.S., told the Chicago Tribune. "Let's get their faces out there. Let's talk about how young and attractive they are. What model citizens they are."

"I know there are some traditions and superstitions that you can't mess with," he added. "But this is one tradition I could do without."

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
What a fucking faggot! I also let me stuff grow out when the Rangers are in and depending on wins and losses is when i will shave lol. Show how young and attractive they are WTF is that, these guys are all fucking man, they dont give a shit about looks or how people view them. Hockey is the real deal sport fucking bullshit pussified America lol

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
the guy is obviously a faggot who cant grow a beard.he is probably the same faggot that wanted the puck to leave a tracer cuz he couldnt follow the game

P

Punch

Hell I can't grow a proper beard, but if you're that worried about other men's facial hair you have too much time and no important shit to do.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
playoff bears are a staple of the nhl playoffs. they represent how its the toughest and most gruelling playoffs in sport.

NBC has had some terrible ideas before. They wanted the puck to be highlighted and used to make it glow so the audience can see it. Now they want the beards gone so people can see their face? nuttyness.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
Yeah, enough of that traditional grit, commitment, exhilarating grace, quest for immortality Stevie Y Bobby Orr bullshit. More youth! More attractiveness!

Get the fuck--

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
Take it easy fellas and FeeO @FionaO :). He's trying to grow the popularity of the sport south of the frozen Tundra, and increase revenue for NBC. Most people (in good old Murka) have no idea what the stars of the sport actually look like. I'm a huge sports fan & I might be able to pick Ovechkin or Crosby out of a line up. 99.999999% of americans have no idea who Henrik Zetterberg is. I'm all for the beards. I know its a tradition, but since most players do it for luck, & only one team wins, it seems to have a pretty shitty return on investment :D.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Take it easy fellas and FeeO @FionaO :). He's trying to grow the popularity of the sport south of the frozen Tundra, and increase revenue for NBC. Most people (in good old Murka) have no idea what the stars of the sport actually look like. I'm a huge sports fan & I might be able to pick Ovechkin or Crosby out of a line up. 99.999999% of americans have no idea who Henrik Zetterberg is. I'm all for the beards. I know its a tradition, but since most players do it for luck, & only one team wins, it seems to have a pretty shitty return on investment :D.
Aaaaand you're banned!

Seriously though thats a horrible decision more than likely made by a guy who has never skated. Traditions in sports are there for the real fans to relate to season after season and to even suggest to take it away so players are recognized is just a weak effort for a corporation to get a few more dollars.

When I'm older and watching old fights and have to explain to my son and his friends why the fighters all look like cookie cutter robots now as opposed to showing personality with unique shorts or walkout shirts and banner I'll remember how good it used to be before the only reason to fight was for money. Same feeling will be had when nobody has a beard or can't drop the gloves to seek ice justice.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I dont follow to many sport but I'm sure every one of the strong fan vases would oppose any suggestion to a change in anything deemed traditional. My Xmas tradition for breakfast is chicken and waffles, if some new in-law wanted to come over and fuck with that it would be an offensive comment and I'd push for whoever to seek out a divorce lawyer.

FeeO

You're all on steroids.
May 14, 2015
It shows how narrow his scope of human want, as reflected in sport, is. The playoff beard signals the shift in gears. Vanity falls away. Shaving? What? Commercial appeal? Looks? Useless. Frivolity. Ditched. Cup cup cup.

Maybe it's cultural. I fucking love it.