Nick Diaz: 'GSP was on steroids when I fought him'

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Nick Diaz was on Chael Sonnen's podcast this week, and he did not hold back his thoughts on anything, especially Georges St-Pierre. The elder Diaz brother unleashed multiple accusations against the former UFC welterweight champion, whom Diaz lost to at UFC 158 in March 2013. His biggest claim was that GSP used steroids when they fought, but the Quebec Athletic Commission tested neither of them. Fox Sports has the transcription:

"Georges St-Pierre was on steroids when I fought him."

"They didn't test us because I would have tested positive for sure. I thought it was my last fight ever. What do I care? It's like almost asking too much to win and not give away that fine. I'm like what do I care about the fine?" Diaz said.

"That dude needs to come back and give me another fight as far as I'm concerned. As long as I can fight. They did not test him for steroids for that fight. They did not test us."

LINK: Nick Diaz: GSP was on steroids, missed weight by 3 pounds at UFC 158

M

member 3289

I don't wanna fighter bash, but I have felt this way for a long time

M

member 3289

"There's no way that guy's as good as I am. There's f---ing no way. He held on the whole fight. In PRIDE FC and real rules, in real fights, you f---ing didn't fight the whole fight. I'm over here trying to fight. Neither of us are fighting, you're f---ing holding onto my leg, holding onto me around the waist the whole fight and any time you're not, you're getting punched up."

It's a damn shame how true this is.

M

member 3289

I've had my concerns about it as well, to be honest. But hey, the guy never popped hot and he seems like a genuine person...so maybe I'm off base as well.
The gut pics of him certainly look like HGH, but again he's never tested positive so without a positive test it's impossible to say 100%.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
There was some shadiness with the commission with this fight. They basically told Nick the day of weigh ins that he didn't have to make weight.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The gut pics of him certainly look like HGH, but again he's never tested positive so without a positive test it's impossible to say 100%.
Sometimes you see gymnasts with guts like that, and GSP did a lot of gymnastic training as part of his regimen. Its the only thing that gives me pause. But yeah...I always had my reservations.

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
Put me on the 'GSP abused PEDs' bandwagon for the reasons others have already mentioned. In fact, it even goes beyond PEDs with how slippery he was in the 2nd Penn fight and the comments made by Hughes and Sherk, two former champs. I have no idea if he was in the Diaz fight, but over the course of his career, it seems likely.

That's part of the reason I don't dock Anderson Silva too much on the GOAT debate, I think that was fairly common in that era and I think Anderson was just P4P better than all of 'em and probably would have been in this era if he had to do it over again.

Lamont Cranston

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Explain why if you're gonna disagree.
Sure.

The Quebec Athletic Commission does not conform to the same exact standards that most ACs do.

One of my coaches is the reason why there are no foot stomps in the Quebec. Also, Quebec was one of the first Provinces to legalize MMA but did it under the "mixed boxing" banner and as such the expectations are closer to boxing than MMA.

This includes weight issues and expectations around it. They did have to make weight but the allowances were different.

Also, the testing isn't standard. ie - belt fights etc are required to have testing afterwards. The tests are random. So the chances of not getting testing are actually the same no matter where you are on the card.

There was a reason why the UFC had the fight in Quebec. Not for GSP, for Diaz. They needed all the help they could get.

I love Diaz and how he fights but the guy is a loose cannon and no promoter wants that when so much money is on the line.

But don't let the truth stop people from thinking otherwise.

Gibberish

Posting Machine
Dec 2, 2015
It's physically impossible to be in the kind of shape GSP was in at his prime without doping. My hunch is that he fought clean in his last couple of fights, maybe just his last, when he started making all the noises about wanting stricter testing. Got bashed up by someone that wasn't clean and then ran away from the sport.

Diaz implicates himself here too so it adds credence imo.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I've always liked GSP, but highly doubt he was without ped help, just like most of the guys.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Diaz implicates himself here too so it adds credence imo.
No it doesn't.

Diaz regularly states he smokes and cleanses and can beat doping tests. He stated this multiple times publicly which is part of the reason the nsac was so out to get him I believe.

He's always happy to implicate himself.

Sure.

The Quebec Athletic Commission does not conform to the same exact standards that most ACs do.

One of my coaches is the reason why there are no foot stomps in the Quebec. Also, Quebec was one of the first Provinces to legalize MMA but did it under the "mixed boxing" banner and as such the expectations are closer to boxing than MMA.

This includes weight issues and expectations around it. They did have to make weight but the allowances were different.

Also, the testing isn't standard. ie - belt fights etc are required to have testing afterwards. The tests are random. So the chances of not getting testing are actually the same no matter where you are on the card.

There was a reason why the UFC had the fight in Quebec. Not for GSP, for Diaz. They needed all the help they could get.

I love Diaz and how he fights but the guy is a loose cannon and no promoter wants that when so much money is on the line.

Exactly.

They had the same rules they always had for other fights. It was different in the scale tolerances but gsp wasn't a guy that ever missed weight and was at the exact allowable amount in their ac there.

Diaz camp doesnt know the rules and then blames gsp.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Lots of commissions have/had various rules on when they test for peds vs recreational drugs.

I'd take this all with a grain of salt.

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
He never tested positive and he was the one who underwent VADA testing in the lead up to the fight with Hendricks, after Hendricks demanded it, only to have Hendricks decline to do the same.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
"There's no way that guy's as good as I am. There's f---ing no way. He held on the whole fight. In PRIDE FC and real rules, in real fights, you f---ing didn't fight the whole fight. I'm over here trying to fight. Neither of us are fighting, you're f---ing holding onto my leg, holding onto me around the waist the whole fight and any time you're not, you're getting punched up."

It's a damn shame how true this is.
So you agree bj fucked him up and won the first fight then?

nick diaz is my nut hugger

Left hand cemetery

Sep 6, 2015
Sure.

Diaz had made weight and after he made weight he was approached by someone and told that GSP wasn't going to make weight because he was sick and that Diaz didn't have to, after the fact. Also GSP's actual weight wasn't recorded, for a title fight that's bullshit your supposed to make weight.

That's how I remember it

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Diaz had made weight and after he made weight he was approached by someone and told that GSP wasn't going to make weight because he was sick and that Diaz didn't have to, after the fact. Also GSP's actual weight wasn't recorded, for a title fight that's bullshit your supposed to make weight.

That's how I remember it
He was approached before the weigh in. No one said anything about GSP not being able to make weight.

Left hand cemetery

Sep 6, 2015
He was approached before the weigh in. No one said anything about GSP not being able to make weight.
Yeah he was trying to hit 170 and he couldn't. Do you think GSP just rocked up to the scales and hoped his weight was right?? No he checks it leading up to weigh ins like EVERYBODY else that cuts weight, so yeah he knew he was going to miss hence why an allowance was even brought up to begin with.

If GSP was going to make weight they wouldn't even bother with an allowance don't you think.

Left hand cemetery

Sep 6, 2015
Still with that said there is NO allowances in title fights so it was bullshit changing the rules as they go to cater for Mr St Pierre. No other champion has had that privilege.