VID Nick Newell Retires From Competition After Win

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
In a very emotional video posted on the WSOF Facebook fan page, Newell detailed why he feels it's time to step away from the fight game. You can check out the video along with our transcription below.

"You know, I'm only 29-years-old, but I want to have a future, I want to be able to have a good body when I get older. One day, I'd like to have kids and be able to play with them. I know that's kind of an extreme thing, but I didn't get to where I am today by just being a natural.

I'm sorry, this is very emotional for me. I got to where I am from hard work, and that takes a toll on your body. These past couple training camps have been really hard for me, and just really hard on my body. It's just...it's just my time. I don't want to be a guy that just fights for a...for a paycheck [obviously overcome with emotion at this point].

I want to be a guy that fights because he loves it. I don't want to cheat myself of my best performances, and I don't feel like I'm the fighter I could be, because my body is just not reacting the same way it used to. I just don't have it in me anymore, so this is my last one, a hometown fight that I won. It wasn't the most beautiful thing in the world, but I didn't really get to train much for this fight. It was injury after injury. I had terrible luck, and uh, it's time."

WSOF: Nick Newell explains retirement in emotional video interview - Bloody Elbow

Nick Newell appeared on the MMA Hour on Monday giving more details behind his decision to retire. As reported on MMAFighiting's website:

"It was the right decision for me, I feel. In the end, time will tell. For me, it's been really tough training for these fights. I feel like I underperformed my last three fights and I felt like, really, it was out of my control," he told Ariel Helwani on Monday's The MMA Hour. "I've been dealing with a lot of injuries throughout my fight camps. Every time, it just seems like I get some momentum going, I get hurt and I can't do anything, so I gotta take it easy and I gotta not train and I gotta step back.

Then when I fight, my cardio becomes an issue because I haven't been train as hard as I should be when I have these important fights coming up. It just seems like I have a bunch of things that keep coming back even if I take care of them proper. It's just a little overwhelming for me. I don't want to treat my fans or anyone that likes me to a watered-down version of me. I want the best version of me possible. I just felt like it was time to step away."

Newell continued,"Really for this fight, I only got to train a week and a half, two weeks for it because I completely hurt my back. I couldn't even move. I looked like a 90-year-old man walking around. I really wanted to do this fight and I really thought I would be able to perform and my performance was not to my standards. It's not the type of performance I would want people to remember me for. It's not the type of performance I have shown in the past, that I'm capable of much better. I just don't want to have my career be like that. I want to be an entertaining fighter.

"At the end of the day, it is about winning and doing your best," he continued. "I don't feel like I can perform at my best anymore."

The remainder of the transcription and video of the interview is available here.

Last edited:

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Best of luck to the guy. He has already overcome a ton in his life, thru hard work, dedication, and pure determination. I'm sure he will do great things beyond fighting.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
FUCKING ABSOLUTE WARRIOR!!!!!! such respect for this guy I can't even begin to describe it. Someone tweet him on behalf of all of us that he is a warrior and a legend in his own right for accomplishing what he has with what he has to deal with.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Damn that was hard to watch...Hes a great guy abd good fighter...he's right, it's just hard on a fighter especially when its a fight itself to keep your head above water financially and to keep in top shape...being a fighter is a lot more than punches and subs its a fight everyday just to keep,going...you can only run on Will for so long..

Last edited:

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
I saw how disappointed he was when the fight was over. I want to say I read his lips say "I'm sorry" to his team once the final bell rang. Kudos to him for getting this far, being a good sport and hailing from my home state.

Did anyone else notice the crappy behavior from his opponent? Despite it being a weird fight I still think Newell won it on points which sucks sometimes but hey, that's how the game is played. Don't be pissed at the other guy because you couldn't get up. sorry, I digress.

War Newell!!! ;)

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
I saw how disappointed he was when the fight was over. I want to say I read his lips say "I'm sorry" to his team once the final bell rang. Kudos to him for getting this far, being a good sport and hailing from my home state.

Did anyone else notice the crappy behavior from his opponent? Despite it being a weird fight I still think Newell won it on points which sucks sometimes but hey, that's how the game is played. Don't be pissed at the other guy because you couldn't get up. sorry, I digress.

War Newell!!! ;)
Yea his opponent was mad but didn't have to act like a dick...

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
He didn't seem to be the same after his solitary loss to Justin Gaethje. Weird how confidence in your greatness can be wiped out by just one total defeat, if that was the case. He's not saying that, just what I think.

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
it's not like his opponent knew it was Nick's swan song. I think people are enhancing his prickishness now that they know
No I thought that before the Nick retirement...I just hate when guys snub another fighter regardless of the outcome...Everybody's different but imho after going through a experience Like a hard fight a respect should be earned mutually...I totally understand the actions being out of anger and disappointment though...

Last edited:

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
No I thought that before the Nick retirement...I just hate when guys snub another fighter regardless of the outcome...Everybody's different but imho after going through a experience Like a hard fight a respect should be earned mutually...I totally understand the actions being out of anger and disappointment though...
Same here. I actually commented to my GF about how folks on the forum will think that was pretty dumb. I actually found out about the retirement from this thread since I didn't get a chance to watch any post fight interviews etc.

delightone

Insert Crown here
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I have tremendous respect for nick newell, he is a true insperation, he showed us that with hard work you can reach goals that sometimes seem unreachable

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
damn bros, this one hit me hard. I wasn't able to see the fight due to no cable/bad net

I know I've said it a bunch of times here, but I have watched Nick fight since day 1... Back when he literally fought in a ring inside of bars for local ammy MMA shows here.. and was pulling off flying arm bars on dudes

Nobody wanted to fight him because they didn't wanna lose to "the kid with 1 arm".. well other than Gatheje, EVERYONE lost to the kid with 1 arm. No shame in losing to Gatheje either, Nick was very hurt going into that fight (100% confirmed trust me) and Gatheje is easily UFC caliber.

Nick is a fucking hero. And a nicer, more humble dude you will never meet. WAR NICK, the fact he got as far as he did is just mind blowing.
Man, don't even know what to say, kid is simply amazing. Hate seeing him call it quits but if he knows it's not there anymore then it's for the best.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
He didn't seem to be the same after his solitary loss to Justin Gaethje. Weird how confidence in your greatness can be wiped out by just one total defeat, if that was the case. He's not saying that, just what I think.
Nick had already suffered some basically career ending injuries before that fight took place, which is why he had long layoffs in recent years. He has a life time of wrestling wear and tear on his body.. and really, with his disability, he ALWAYS had to train harder than everyone else.

I don't think it was that the loss changed him. I think his body was already failing him and he knew he could no longer do it at the level he wanted to anymore because his body simply did not respond. In his fight prior to this, it was the same thing.. He was slower, hesitant etc.

When you know your body isn't gonna do what you want in the timing you want.. that's tough. Nick's really mentally tough, the Gaethje loss IMO didn't take the fight out of him.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Also, Nick did lose in the ammys before. So it was not his first defeat overall.

Either way though. Can't say enough about this dude. I just can't believe I got to witness him go from fighting in front of 100 people to live on NBC last year. He really made it man. NO ONE ever gave him a chance except his coaches and shit. People thought he was crazy. But Nick went in there and beat some really, really tough guys.. even in his early ammy career, he beat Vinicius Agudo, a Gabe Gonzaga black belt, with amazing grappling. That was after Nick had only been training a couple years

Damn dudes. I wish Nick was able to get his shot in the UFC 2-3 years back. He deserved it a lot more than some of the other random people you never hear of fighting on under cards.

Either way though.. a great, odds defying career... surrounded by great coaches. Anyone in the New England area should go check out Fighting Arts Academy in Springfield if you are looking for somewhere to train.

Ryoji Kitomi

Oct 18, 2015
Wow...

I have nothing but the utmost respect for Nick. Had the opportunity to meet him once a while back and he was very humble and respectful. Hell he is one of my favorites to watch. So inspirational and courageous. Best of luck Mr Newel. May your life be full and happy. Thank you for all the great fights. #RESPECT

Left hand cemetery

Sep 6, 2015
I wish Nick Newell the best of luck in whatever he chooses, nearly got dusty watching the vid.

Thanks for the memories and proving me wrong, in your case I'm happy I was.